3.0 Engine Rebuild - ITBs - EFI - AEM Infinity - Bringing it back from the dead.

Mike D'Silva

1 hour ago, Peter M said:

After a lot of research I bought a set of Denso 90919-02234 CoP's for mine as they are very well regarded by the 930 guys.  These are smart coils so they can be triggered directly from the ECU as they have the igniter built in.  They are OE on Lexus ES300 and a number of other 3.5 litre Toyotas.  Not much change out of a 1000 bucks for a dozen thought!

Rasant also supply a smart CoP - Bosch 0 986 221 024 - which are about 2/3 the cost of the Denso's and are OE on some VAG cars of the early 2000's.

I wouldn't look at adopting modern technology as "caving", just smarter and cheaper!  A Haltech Elite 750 plus O2 sensor driver and unterminated generic harness is about $2,300 and they easily have plenty of functions for our old 911 to run full sequential on injection and ignition plus self learning for fueling.  I've also been recommended a Motec M130 but I think that will be another 1200 bucks for no advantage that I can determine except the name .  I need to ask more questions.

The main reason I am querying this is because one of the things that Neil at Performance Developments has seen over the years is the amount of power lost/gained by inferior spark on these engines. This was one of his biggest concerns. That is why I am trying to find the output of each of these coil packs. I believe that a lot of coil packs put out around 50mA, where he found that the Bosch 0 221 604 006  has one of the higher output's available at around 110mA. The problem I am finding though, is that most of the people selling them don't mention the output, and I haven't been able to look them up. 

1 minute ago, Peter M said:

Jeff,

I haven't been able to find a datasheet.  Turbokraft recommended the Denso ones so that swayed me.

I would just like to know. I am attracted to the ones that @Mike D'Silva has used as they are a lot cheaper (when you need 12 it adds up fast), but I want to go with the best option. I do know the ones I posted don't reach the plugs, so you would still have to change the tubes on them.

12 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

195 hp at the wheels. 

I was a little disappointed. However they claim that cars that are rated at stock 200hp (ie, Toyota 86) consistently put down up to 160... 

It's all subjective.

You should be stoked with that number on stock internals for a first go.  It’s all about driveability as well- I bet it has a great torque curve and willingness to rev.

Higher might mean and p&c with higher comp.  

1 hour ago, Coastr said:

You should be stoked with that number on stock internals for a first go.  It’s all about driveability as well- I bet it has a great torque curve and willingness to rev.

Higher might mean and p&c with higher comp.  

agreed. in terms of bolt ons, a good exhaust, RS flywheel, a cam and you are there.

probably 15whp in the first two alone, cam depends on specs- on my car it helped midrange more than top end.

then it's down the slippery slope ?

• 3 months later...
12 minutes ago, P-Kay said:

I'm confused...I must have missed something?

You pulled the engine out to put extractors on?

Or in fact increased the compression buy way of new pistons?

ok.. so the plan was to simply install some 964 cams, and exhaust and then re-tune.. then I got convinced to go higher comp to make use of the throttle bodies. 964 cam is good if you have stock CIS and is as aggressive as you can go with stock pistons. Ended up using a Webcam. Was told the profile I am using is good for another 25hp on top of the 964 cam (in conjunction with exhaust and throttles).

I will have a set of stock SC cams, and a set of brand new 964 cams to suit a 3.0 SC or 3.2 Carrera for sale soon.

• 1 month later...