3.0 Engine Rebuild - ITBs - EFI - AEM Infinity - Bringing it back from the dead.

Mike D'Silva

2 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

Thanks Jeff. I really like doing it. I'm comfortable assembling stock and near stock engines.. Wouldn't mind doing them for other people.

I am sure there would be a few guys on here who wouldn't mind giving you some work. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think that output at the wheels is OK. Dynos are subjective.. only good for comparisons on the same engine. To give it some sort of perspective, a stock Toyota 86, which is supposed to have 200hp at the engine, puts down 150-160hp on this dyno. 

buD5pAj.jpg

Very impressive - that torque 'curve' is fantastic.  The Porsche club uses a 32% loss factor to convert dyno RWP to crankshaft power which by my reckoning would give you close to 280hp at the crank.  The same calculation would give your Toyota 86 close to 200hp.  Well done...

Correction - missed the 168.9 curve.  Make that an even 300hp!

Yeah, I dunno.. seeing numbers like that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, but I'm probably never going to rev it that high anyway. It does feel strong though :) 

Just waiting for my other gearbox to come back from being reassembled.. in the mean time, just putting some more miles on it to get, then will pull it and do an engine out service, valve check and swap boxes over. Then back in for the long haul... 

1 hour ago, Coastr said:

Did you get video of the dyno run?

The car will be faster than a stock 930 now.

no video...

unfortunately.

My TPS is giving me varying numbers for idle position.. sometimes, 0, sometimes, -5, sometimes plus 5 or plus 7....

Seems to be completely random. Sensor is bolted on firmly and it is a genuine bosch.

Ideas?

16 minutes ago, Mike D'Silva said:

My TPS is giving me varying numbers for idle position.. sometimes, 0, sometimes, -5, sometimes plus 5 or plus 7....

Seems to be completely random. Sensor is bolted on firmly and it is a genuine bosch.

Ideas?

Could be a number of things but often on ITB it is small vibration of the butterfly shaft wearing out the idle spot on the sensors resistive track. You need to make sure that there is absolutely no movement of the shaft at the sensor when idling. Using a contactless sensor is a good idea for ITB. This of course assumes you don’t already have a contactless TP sensor.

Cheers

6 hours ago, Redracn said:

Could be a number of things but often on ITB it is small vibration of the butterfly shaft wearing out the idle spot on the sensors resistive track. You need to make sure that there is absolutely no movement of the shaft at the sensor when idling. Using a contactless sensor is a good idea for ITB. This of course assumes you don’t already have a contactless TP sensor.

Cheers

Thanks for chiming in.. no I do not have a contactless TPS at this stage.. but have just purchased one and will aim to get it mounted this weekend. 

Did mine wear a spot on the resistive track? It is not very old and the car has only travelled maybe 1000 kms total with the itbs... Or maybe I got a faulty sensor that didn't last long?  Either way, no point messing about.. without an accurate tps, I think data logging is pretty pointless.

Of course, I have it mounted at the bank of cylinder 3, so removing and re-fitting will involve mirrors, double joints, dropped bolts, magnets and cursing.

18 hours ago, Peter M said:

Or, the tps isn’t a snug fit on the end of the throttle shaft.  This would also result in the WOT signal varying as well.

Not normally an issue as the TPS is (should be) spring loaded against the shaft to effectively remove all play.