987 Lowering Springs/Coilovers

Barks

From my reading if you're not looking to spend too much - HR springs get a good review over on the US forums. However if you want a complete adjustable setup (for both height and rebound) go coil overs. 

For the 996 there are two clear competing choices - Bilstein PSS9/10 (10 having one more rebound adjustment over 9) and KW which comes in either 1/2/3 variants - this is assuming the available options for the 996 are similar to the 987 - they might not be.

Depends on how much you want to spend.  I got quotes for Bilsteins and KWs from Australian distributors:

Thank you for your enquiry. 

We recommend B16 PSS9 Bilsteins coilover kit for your 2006 Porsche.

They will outlast and outperform all other brands. 

They are priced at $4,180 delivered.

This kit is currently in stock

Have misplaced the KW quote but was pricey. Will see if I can dig it up.

This was about the time the handbrake was applied to purchasing upgrades so has been on the backburner for a while :unsure:

The Cayman R suspension was a very popular upgrade and still all Porsche but I think you now need a Cayman R VIN number and confirmation you have the car to order the parts. Price would be similar to Bilsteins. 

Depending on your budget for sure.

I have PSS9's and did receive comments from my mates that the ride felt more supple than his stock 987 CS ride. Personally, I'm more performance orientated and love that raw knife like feeling  that a stiff set up offers so I end up uprating the springs.

The only down side of PSS9's is that I feel the shock valving (response of compression and rebound) is a bit to much in the middle ie. Neither fast for response but introduces a skittishness over bumps vs slow, that comfort boat like feeling. I would have loved to revalve for more response.

The other new option is the ohlins for the performance oriented driver. Have been reading about that in the planet-9 forums and would love to give them ago to compare. Would be great to hear from anyone who has that experience.

One thing to thing to keep in mind is that there's quite a lot of man hours to remove suspension with these cars, even with coil overs. Coil overs also  need a corner weight balance and wheel alignment where as springs would simply set the car.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived