98 fuel choice

D2000

3 minutes ago, ANF said:

Mobil? Wow didn't know they still existed! Stopped selling petrol here years ago..... looks sporadic outside of Vic and NSW too.

Few years ago they all disappeared but now they supply to 7/11 (all the pumps are branded Mobil).

There are quite a few around in Metro VIC

5 minutes ago, firstone said:

On an international visa for half pay.

Someone was in big trouble for underhanded sh1t with employees. 

Yes I remember that it wasn,t that long ago either and 7/11 were one of the major offenders ..

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 3:44 PM, 9r said:

This is nearly as much fun as the ubiquitous “which oil is best” ?

Actually this is worse!  At least with most oil threads there is one or two facts spread in with the 100 odd old wife's tales that sometimes can be of use.

Unless there is some statistically valid sampling and testing it's pretty hard to come up with any definitive.  Not in the realm of possibility for most. Hearsay just causes unwarranted anxiety. 

Follow the manufacturers recommendation with regard octane.  No point buying higher than recommended.

Buy a reputable brand

Buy from a reputable retailer.

We are fooling ourselves if we think we can do any more than this. 

1 hour ago, Peter M said:

Follow the manufacturers recommendation with regard octane.  No point buying higher than recommended.

Buy a reputable brand

Buy from a reputable retailer.

We are fooling ourselves if we think we can do any more than this. 

It's been a while since I have heard wiser words... it's all the same with "maybe" a different additive pack added... maybe! 

4 hours ago, Raven said:

Do you have an Indian working the counter ..........Every Servo in Sydney has 

All the United Fuel servos in Tassie seem to have Indians behind the counter......

Paid 166.9 tonight @ BP when I filled up missus' Boxster

Also, won't let any United fuel near any of my cars these day, unless no alternative and I'm running on fumes.  Nothing to do with who is behind the counter, I just believe BP or Caltex have the higher refining standards......

I use petrolspy to locate cheapest price and RACV to keep an eye on retail/wholesale price to gauge bottom of cycle. Trouble is companies have now stretched the cycle from 2 weeks to 1.5 months so I take a couple of jerry cans to last out the cycle.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/02/2018 at 9:33 PM, TwoHeadsTas said:

All the United Fuel servos in Tassie seem to have Indians behind the counter......

Paid 166.9 tonight @ BP when I filled up missus' Boxster

Also, won't let any United fuel near any of my cars these day, unless no alternative and I'm running on fumes.  Nothing to do with who is behind the counter, I just believe BP or Caltex have the higher refining standards......

Heard an interesting story over the weekend.  A mate's brother-in-law moonlights for one of the petrol companies (in some mechanic type role I understand).  When a fuel tanker arrives in Devonport a couple of them are sent down to sample fuel as it's being unloaded.  They must be able to get immediate test results, as when the sample results get down to unacceptable (nearing the bottom of the tanks presumably), they stop taking the fuel (I assume this is BP & Caltex) and then Tassie's local discount fuel supplier comes in and starts filling up.  I believe they pay 1/2 price, or at least much less than normal price the others pay.......  Now, not sure if this relates to Diesel or Unleaded, but........

In VIC, there's 2 refineries so you're buying either Mobil or Shell (unless you're buying United - who does?).

The only difference is the squirts of additives they spray in at the terminal gate.

So if you want certainty, buy Mobil from 7-Eleven or buy Shell. Otherwise, BP or Caltex etc are one or the other of Mobil or Shell with maybe slightly different herbs and spices.

So basically it's price. I buy Mobil.

Archived