997 GT3 Market Watch

27 minutes ago, Jason A said:

I drive my cars, not as a daily but they get used. I made the mistake with my first Porsche and worried about clocking up ks in it. The guy I sold it to has done loads of miles in it.

When you are dead or to old to drive it - it will seem like a waste.

Drive it, track it - clean and pamper it, but don’t sit in your garage and just look at it. All GT3’s are amazing cars - use them as intended I say.

Yup! I regret not tracking my 996 GT3 during my ownership, that changed quickly with its new owner, and I wasted no time after buying the 997, bought it and a week later run it at Rennsport 2016, haven’t stopped tracking it since... that’s where they belong! 👍

7 hours ago, Scott SS964 said:

You're confident how do you see this paying out with respect to the GT values.

I’m confident that housing will continue to fall yes. Especially in Sydney.

Far as GT values go well that is up to the banks. The last time margin calls were rife it was the stock market that did the damage and high end cars tanked hard.

If it happens that we drop another 10-15%, banks may ask the over-leveraged to top up their loans. First thing to go is always the toy in the garage, pushing prices down.

The housing market  is a demographic timebomb waiting to go off. Boomers own the majority of housing stock. Guess who is now retiring en-masse into a falling market? Very few people 40 and under can afford a $1.5 million home these days because banks have tightened lending criteria. Who exactly are the boomers going to sell to?

On 05/01/2019 at 23:35, sleazius said:

The housing market  is a demographic timebomb waiting to go off. Boomers own the majority of housing stock. Guess who is now retiring en-masse into a falling market? Very few people 40 and under can afford a $1.5 million home these days because banks have tightened lending criteria. Who exactly are the boomers going to sell to?

We are entering a very interesting phase thats for sure, It has a number of years to play out though which will allow strategies to be set if required. The other aspect to consider here is the transferring of wealth such as in the case of an inheritance;  there is talk of taxing this transfer which will no doubt fire up the Gen X's and millennials 😁. There rationale is that some of the gen X's are now semi retired or retiring early in anticipation of such an inheritance which is costing the the country in lost income tax $. 

On 07/01/2019 at 17:30, edgy said:

Like too.  2008 car at Richmonds in Adelaide, $235k....

Already gone mate. I went with my mate yesterday to get the deal done. He was lucky enough to snap it up. Beautiful example. I’m referring to the Melbourne CS. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-2007/OAG-AD-16780488?utm_campaign=search-alert&utm_source=notification-center&utm_medium=email

16 hours ago, GRK930 said:

Already gone mate. I went with my mate yesterday to get the deal done. He was lucky enough to snap it up. Beautiful example. I’m referring to the Melbourne CS. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-2007/OAG-AD-16780488?utm_campaign=search-alert&utm_source=notification-center&utm_medium=email

That car your mate bought looked stunning . I had a look at the Richmond car today it’s a nice car as well but a few things not for me . The indicators and headlights are very stone peppered and missing the lowerr radiator grills and has a leather steering wheel 

17 hours ago, GRK930 said:

Do you mind sharing dome details on the purchase mate? PM me if its ok, I am asking cos I am thinking of selling my 997 

thanks

3 hours ago, edgy said:

Do you mind sharing dome details on the purchase mate? PM me if its ok, I am asking cos I am thinking of selling my 997 

thanks

Be keen on buying your OZ wheels if your selling the car . 

4 hours ago, wilson59 said:

That car your mate bought looked stunning . I had a look at the Richmond car today it’s a nice car as well but a few things not for me . The indicators and headlights are very stone peppered and missing the lowerr radiator grills and has a leather steering wheel 

I assumed lower radiator grills were standard issue but seems that this may not be the case 

8 hours ago, wilson59 said:

Happy to stand corrected, but grills are non standard on 997.1. I think on the 997.2’s they became standard. 

GT3 pricing opinions sought, kind of related to market watch, not really 997 specific my question is around how others view the GT3  factory club sport option.

Option 003 - Club Sport Package

comprises roll cage bolted to the body behind front seats, six point racing harness,fire extinguisher and prep for battery master switch. People that usually spec the Club sport package, additionally spec the sport seats as well either fixed our folding.

Do you find  it desirable or indeed essential when looking to purchase a GT3 or not fussed?

When assessing a cars value do you (assuming other factors are reasonably equal )

- add $ for a car with the Clubsport package, Or not?

Let’s hear some thoughts ?

I add for Clubsport and subtract without. If you’re going to have a wing on the back to do the majority of your k’s at 60km/h, moes well have a cage too thanks. Real reason is its easier for circle-work.

Got to remember though that there are just as many people who will do the opposite.

I've always maintained it makes little to no difference, but if you should find yourself in the situation of wanting to procure the Clubsport items to add to a GT3, it is obscene money to buy them! The cage is circa $8000 then the CGT type seats are about $16,000 if and when you can buy them... to my knowledge, the folding type was never offered in the 997 GT3, they were optional to the GT2 though, which is why they are often referred to as just GT2 folding buckets, but again, insane money to buy... 8350 Euro inc shipping is what Carnewal last quoted me! And then there is the other little knick knacks that came with 003. 

I think you always need to put these things into context, because you might be looking at the perfect example in a rare colour but its missing the 003 option, naturally you'll do what it takes to get the deal done... and then its pretty fair to say there is a good share of people who actually don't want the 003 pack, cos its going to be a road car only. 

So I say, to the right buyer, a 003 car will bring a slight premium... perhaps 5-10k ~ 

And going back to the context of the subject matter, the mix of 997 GT3 to 003 was heavily weighted to NON 003... where as look back to 996.1, majority of those are 003 cars... so naturally, the guys selling a non 003 want more money cos its statistically rarer. 

:lol:

1 hour ago, edgy said:

I think you always need to put these things into context, because you might be looking at the perfect example in a rare colour but its missing the 003 option, naturally you'll do what it takes to get the deal done... and then its pretty fair to say there is a good share of people who actually don't want the 003 pack, cos its going to be a road car only. 

Agree with @edgy.  Rightly or wrongly, I was more focussed on getting the colour I wanted, and given that it will be a road car for me, I didn't really want/need the 003. 

And whilst the purists might argue that I'm missing the point by not tracking a GT3, it is still a sensational road car, and when wifey joins me for a run, I'm sure she's not missing a cage, fire extinguisher or six point harness.

Based on my time searching for the right car, whilst in theory the CS should command a premium (for the reasons Edgy raised), in the real-world, I don't think the market-place really does (having said that I was focussed on 996.2 GT3 only).

Ultimately I think it comes down to personal preferences, and what the intended use is.

2 minutes ago, Rick V said:

and when wifey joins me for a run, I'm sure she's not missing a cage, fire extinguisher or six point harness.

I can confirm that this is a great way to destroy all your opportunities to "share" a drive with your spouse... which may or may not be important to some, it is to me... so we bought a Boxster :lol:

4 minutes ago, Rick V said:

Based on my time searching for the right car, whilst in theory the CS should command a premium (for the reasons Edgy raised), in the real-world, I don't think the market-place really does (having said that I was focussed on 996.2 GT3 only).

To me, I think of the 003 as adding "saleability" to the right buyer... its kinda like some of the stuff we do in our home renovations, they add appeal, but no monetary value... 

I think if you were pressed by two exact examples, and you wanted the CS, you 'd pay the small premium... but with so little examples of any GT3, rarely will you be spoilt for choice. 

21 minutes ago, Rick V said:

Agree with @edgy.  Rightly or wrongly, I was more focussed on getting the colour I wanted, and given that it will be a road car for me, I didn't really want/need the 003. 

And whilst the purists might argue that I'm missing the point by not tracking a GT3, it is still a sensational road car, and when wifey joins me for a run, I'm sure she's not missing a cage, fire extinguisher or six point harness.

Ultimately I think it comes down to personal preferences, and what the intended use is.

I was a bit the same . My main objective was a low km car that had been well cared for that was not a yellow car . Personally I liked the look of the cage as Hugh mentioned #becauseracecar and also thinking the wife would join me even though after a year of ownership has not been in it once . I still would have bought a CS if the right car was available at the time I was looking .

9 minutes ago, edgy said:

I can confirm that this is a great way to destroy all your opportunities to "share" a drive with your spouse... which may or may not be important to some, it is to me... so we bought a Boxster :lol:

I concur my wife much prefers to venture out in the 993, it's the noise and the feeling of speed that she doesn't like; the 997 GT3 seems to be more acceptable where as my previous 996.2 GT3CS was nope not going in that anymore 😁😂

13 minutes ago, edgy said:

To me, I think of the 003 as adding "saleability" to the right buyer... its kinda like some of the stuff we do in our home renovations, they add appeal, but no monetary value... 

My feeling is that the GT3 with the CS package is a more collectable style of car, after all they are seen as the racer for the road the homologation special etc..is given. Personally i buy the CS option for the race car feel as i don't daily the car so when I'm in it I want the feeling. Based on this my feeling is that there will be associated value add now, but more so into the future.

21 minutes ago, edgy said:

I think if you were pressed by two exact examples, and you wanted the CS, you 'd pay the small premium... but with so little examples of any GT3, rarely will you be spoilt for choice. 

This is true, you do need to wait and be ready to pounce when your ideal spec presents itself.

30 minutes ago, edgy said:

Ha!, Maybe that's where I've gone wrong..... I should be in the market for a Boxster...is that grey with red interior one down in Tassie still on the market?!?