997 GT3 Market Watch

20 hours ago, JB said:

All those private cars bar the obvious one, are great cars and great buys. 

At the risk of asking a stupid question, which is the obvious one? Are you just referring to the asking price or does one have a significant ‘history’? Thanks

3 hours ago, JB said:

Lol.

$80k repair best case, rails will be bent so impact will have ruptured through to the rear, Car would never be the same again. Plus purchase price your looking I reckon not walking away with much change out of $150k. Look at the market and for 2 you can get a minter.

buy it for the engine and seats put them in ya go cart.....

Your estimates are about right.. 

I've seen worse getting repaired some may be surprised at whats on the road with history like this one, it will probably go for silly money anyway 

41 minutes ago, Number9 said:

At the risk of asking a stupid question, which is the obvious one? Are you just referring to the asking price or does one have a significant ‘history’? Thanks

@Number9 there’s a white touring in there for private sale in SA with 40k on the clock. It’s been for sale for about two years and apparently those who have been able to extract a response from the seller apparently he’s a bit different...

29 minutes ago, James P said:

Your estimates are about right.. 

I've seen worse getting repaired some may be surprised at whats on the road with history like this one, it will probably go for silly money anyway 

Hey @James P doesn’t surprise me. There’s ones that have had accidents and then there’s ones that have had serious structural damage. I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if it sells for silly money and gets rebuilt.. just cannot see why you would as it always has a wovr over its head.

11 minutes ago, StevepGT3 said:

and a category 10 over ambitious  

Steve I reckon one of the pistons are in the front passenger seat.

1 hour ago, Scott SS964 said:

This car is the car that Porsche Doncaster had for sale a twice over the last few years as verified by the VIN -The engine in this car has a couple of Cat 4 over REVS !!!.

Wow I worked on that car. Was for sale for ages..amazing how things happen 

3 hours ago, Scott SS964 said:

This car is the car that Porsche Doncaster had for sale twice over the last few years as verified by the VIN -The engine in this car has a couple of Cat 4 over REVS !!!.

I was thinking it maybe was that car by the spec and that glimpse of the Doncaster number plate surround in one of the pics. As always Scott, impressed by your GT3 knowledge base 👍

53 minutes ago, JB said:

Nothing a bit of jbweld won’t fix 

Easy fix 👍

I've seen Porsches MUCH less damaged than this be declared a stat write off. Theres a GT4 on MY105.com that just had a shock tower fail (common problem apparently) and that was declared a stat write off. A Lotus Elise with a small dent in the sill panel and no other damage was also written off, so how is this thing deemed repairable when it's clearly bent to buggery? 

On 14/04/2019 at 09:51, LeeM said:

Easy fix 👍

I've seen Porsches MUCH less damaged than this be declared a stat write off. Theres a GT4 on MY105.com that just had a shock tower fail (common problem apparently) and that was declared a stat write off. A Lotus Elise with a small dent in the sill panel and no other damage was also written off, so how is this thing deemed repairable when it's clearly bent to buggery? 

Its been changed to a stat write off so parts only now 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve dropped the price again on my Red 997.1 GT3. It’s now $198k. 

Surely someone’s a buyer, I’ve had plenty of enquiry, but no one that’s actually got to a point of inspecting the car properly. 

I know things are slow but once she’s gone, she’s gone! 

6 minutes ago, Mafia88 said:

Surely someone’s a buyer, I’ve had plenty of enquiry, but no one that’s actually got to a point of inspecting the car properly. 

If I was in the market again your car is excellent value 

25 minutes ago, Mafia88 said:

You have the best example on the market. 

I ended up deciding to pull my listing after some planets didn’t align... it is really quite out there. 

Opinion - based on observation and years of watching these markets

The market is quiet meaning not ideal to sell cars over 50K little own 200K so my advice to the sellers is unless you need to sell i'd be sticking put on your price and wait for the right buyer or as edgy has done withdraw it from sale.

Let me remind you that the low volume 997 GT3 is an incredible car that is held in such high esteem world wide; There are reasons for this which i'm not about to go into again. These unique cars have not had their day to really shine as yet. They are a good long term hold!!

There is still demand for these cars, from people that will pay cash however that cash will only come out when the market turns a little back toward the sunshine or they smell some desperation as people chase the market down in order to get a sale. You choose which seller you are or need to be.

I leave you with this In the late 90's early 2000's I was one of the guys that let a 993RS slip past me for $140K.... Oh i did buy something for $110K that 3 years later I sold for 85K luckily. I knew like everyone else the 993RS was limited production very unique highly regarded last of the generation /air cooled etc.. etc... let me just explain here that not for one minute am I saying that the 997 GT3 will see the prices of the 993RS I have no idea, but what i am saying is that the sentiment and statistics feel very very similar for the 997GT3 as they did during that time for the 993RS (when 8-10years old) You know the price move is well underway "The big move" is realised when people don't care about what colour they get they like all colours.

The best 997 model to get is the .2 or .1RS however you will need $350 -400K for one of these.(997.2 GT3RS 4Litre RS goes with out saying "Unicorn though" price unknown) , which make the Club Sport followed by the Touring GT3's the next best car to have.

All the best Scott

1 hour ago, Scott SS964 said:

The best 997 model to get is the .2 or .1RS  (.2 4Litre RS goes with out saying) however you will need $350 -400K for one of these, which make the Club Sport followed by the Touring GT3's the next best car to have.

All the best Scott

4L last one I saw was around $800k but admittedly I haven't been following closely the last few months. There were only 6 aussie delivered (unless there was a second batch?). One was shipped to the UK immediately on delivery. Of the remaining 5 one was converted to a sequential by someone who was on this forum many moons ago, leaving 4 for the purists. If you can find an aussie one at $350k I'd suggest buy and hold.

The market is tight because housing is off. I passed on a guards 997.1 GT3 during the GFC for $135k. It sat on the market for a long time too. Not to mention the 2 margin call (I'm assuming) 458s that you could have bought for low $200ks. Or the couple of 997.1 GT3 RS that sat around $200k. I know of at least one that traded in the $180ks (RS Orange).

We aren't at the bottom yet, but you are right, when it ticks back up the cash buyers will poke their head out again. Long term all these cars are a buy, simply because what we love about them will be gone the way of the dodo due to euro emissions regs.

7 hours ago, sleazius said:

4L last one I saw was around $800k but admittedly I haven't been following closely the last few months. There were only 6 aussie delivered (unless there was a second batch?). One was shipped to the UK immediately on delivery. Of the remaining 5 one was converted to a sequential by someone who was on this forum many moons ago, leaving 4 for the purists. If you can find an aussie one at $350k I'd suggest buy and hold.

The market is tight because housing is off. I passed on a guards 997.1 GT3 during the GFC for $135k. It sat on the market for a long time too. Not to mention the 2 margin call (I'm assuming) 458s that you could have bought for low $200ks. Or the couple of 997.1 GT3 RS that sat around $200k. I know of at least one that traded in the $180ks (RS Orange).

Certainly wasn't saying the 4Litre was sitting at $350K I was trying to separate it from the others as per the brackets.( )

The 997 and the GFC were aligned in those days meaning the 997 was the current model at the time. I see the heavier devaluations more likely to be in 991 and 992 this time around for the same reasons. 

If the World falls into recession all bets are off though, that'll be all about hanging tight.

Unfortunately for me I am in a position where a property settlement is looming, kid on the way and starting a new job. 

If I could buy the car back for $200k in 10 years I’d happily do so as I believe they will be North of that. 

Anyway the market will decide, but will be surprised if it hangs around much longer. 

13 hours ago, Mafia88 said:

I’d have it tomorrow but your just out of my price range, and I wouldn’t insult you on putting in an offer. Beautiful car, ticks all the boxes don’t give it away, hang in there post election and eofy things should get moving again 

1 hour ago, Mafia88 said:

Unfortunately for me I am in a position where a property settlement is looming, kid on the way and starting a new job. 

If I could buy the car back for $200k in 10 years I’d happily do so as I believe they will be North of that. 

Anyway the market will decide, but will be surprised if it hangs around much longer. 

At the end of the day, we must do what is right for us and our families at the time, I certainly understand your position! Your property gains will almost certainly offset the 997 long term anyway,  it is a good time to buy into/buy more or simply trade up on properties... cars not so much :LOL:

Let us know how you get on and good luck with it, I certainly think it is the best buy of the 997.1's out there on the market.