997 GT3 Market Watch

1 minute ago, sleazius said:

Is that the car that was on the nsw north coast?

No it was a Melbourne car with 22kms by memory Sold around July last year. The NSW one had 19kms and looked great; lacking a few options such as lift and PCM i believe

Just now, Scott SS964 said:

No it was a Melbourne car

Ok, so that makes two 997.2 CS that have gone under $240 then, both of which happen to be yellow.

8 minutes ago, Scott SS964 said:

No it was a Melbourne car with 22kms by memory Sold around July last year. The NSW one had 19kms and looked great; lacking a few options such as lift and PCM i believe

Had pcm in the box, owner retrofitted an aftermarket stereo for some reason but still had the original.

22 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Ok, so that makes two 997.2 CS that have gone under $240 then, both of which happen to be yellow.

Had pcm in the box, owner retrofitted an aftermarket stereo for some reason but still had the original.

You will find Yellow can be had for a reasonable discount; I would not make this a rule across the range - all the best in your hunt you can tell your a buyer and Im an owner :-)

23 hours ago, bear924 said:

Appears to have dropped price to $188k, and was then listed as sold a short time later. Looked like a nice car so I'm sure someone is feeling happy about their purchase at the moment. 

Appears still for sale: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-2008/SSE-AD-4670370/?Cr=1

2008 Porsche 911 GT3 997 Manual MY082008 Porsche 911 GT3 997 Manual MY08

Well there you go. Wonder if someone saw the price drop and pulled the trigger before obtaining permission from the wife. Seems well priced to me, text in the ad suggests the seller is tiring of tyre kickers (anyone who's sold a Porsche can probably appreciate that!!) however I don't feel it's helping to sell the car.

3 hours ago, bear924 said:

Sleazius, is there any interesting reasoning behind buying new as opposed to used 7.2 GT3?

Not really, no. Nothing wrong with 997.2 - was given the opportunity to take a slot on a 991.2 and I took it. I was just just after a manual GT3.

19 hours ago, bear924 said:

Thanks Scott. A great addition to the thread! Flip flop of whether to get a CS or touring version of a GT if I go down that route so it's interesting to see 7.2 CS/ touring splits.

Will you track it? If the answer is yes, get a 003... if not definitely get “touring”, my mrs loves the comfort seats.... I’ve ruined the car with recaros, so now she hates it. 

The 7 is a great road car, much better mannered than a 6 for road, yet it requires a bit more attention to get it right for the track... the PASM is a bit of a compromise for the track, but it gives the car better road manners... no worries, there is a work around for that! ? 

15 minutes ago, edgy said:

Will you track it? If the answer is yes, get a 003... if not definitely get “touring”, my mrs loves the comfort seats.... I’ve ruined the car with recaros, so now she hates it. 

The 7 is a great road car, much better mannered than a 6 for road, yet it requires a bit more attention to get it right for the track... the PASM is a bit of a compromise for the track, but it gives the car better road manners... no worries, there is a work around for that! ? 

Or in simple terms. Road cars make shit race cars, and Race cars make shit road cars, The End

1 hour ago, StevepGT3 said:

Or in simple terms. Road cars make shit race cars, and Race cars make shit road cars, The End

52 minutes ago, edgy said:

I guess that’s efficient way of saying it!! ?

I'd argue that a GT3 & GT4'S are one of the only cars available on the market that is the best of both worlds. Out of the box pretty untouchable in either application. 

5 minutes ago, hugh said:

I'd argue that a GT3 & GT4'S are one of the only cars available on the market that is the best of both worlds. Out of the box pretty untouchable in either application. 

Argue all you like,but anyone that tracks their GT3 or 4 seriously, (not just pissing around pretending) modify`s their car to the point of making it a shit road car. 

1 hour ago, StevepGT3 said:

Argue all you like,but anyone that tracks their GT3 or 4 seriously, (not just pissing around pretending) modify`s their car to the point of making it a shit road car. 

Correct.. i have said it before Cup Car for the track & standard 911 for the road pick any 911, Gt3 or C2 

2 hours ago, StevepGT3 said:

You are missing my point.

As a stock package they are pretty capable of doing both. I have no doubt people spend $$$ and alter their road manner by making them more track focused but as an "all rounder" they are better than most is all I'm saying. 

1 hour ago, edgy said:

Yes very true! 

BUT Getting that last 5% out necessitates some work!! 

So they are 95% good up till that point......................

12 hours ago, hugh said:

I’ll second that, it’s hard to name another.

For me It’s all about the experience, when I’m in the GT3 I’m clocked on. That’s why you buy them! Every other factor is a distant second ....... we all know this .....

12 hours ago, StevepGT3 said:

Yep best not go there as @James P states, buy a GT3 cup car if your serious about track work 100% BFB - I’m happy with a GT3 doing Road track to 80-90% which is more than my abilities/ nerve/ needs.

14 hours ago, hugh said:

I'd agree with that.  I was amazed at how the GT4 performed on track at PI.  Then I had Steve Owen (ex V8 Supercars) get it up on its toes and dancing around, wow.  Fast, well balanced, awesome brakes straight out of the box.  Sure if you tracked a lot there's suspension mods etc that would make it faster but unlike most road cars, it was far from a bag of shit on track.

By contrast I took my old M135i which had 380hp (similar to GT4) and LSD on track and while it was fast and fun on road, it was a soggy, under braked piece of crap on track.

4 hours ago, Scott SS964 said:

I’m happy with a GT3 doing Road track to 80-90% which is more than my abilities/ nerve/ needs.

Same, I drive for me. Not for what others are doing. If I'm slow comparitively, who cares? Long as I'm having fun it doesn't matter. Reality is I don't have the skills to push it past a certain point and I don't get off on changing my undies each time I drive the car. I can take the car to the track, and have fun, and then drive away.

Yep, its not going to touch a modded GT3 on the track (or any other dedicated track car). Doesn't matter, had fun.

27 minutes ago, sleazius said:

Reality is I don't have the skills to push it past a certain point and I don't get off on changing my undies each time I drive the car. 

Yep, its not going to touch a modded GT3 on the track (or any other dedicated track car). Doesn't matter, had fun.

That is the reality. In all honesty, most people unless they are a very competent competitive driver will struggle to get the most out of a stock GT Porsche - they are more than capable for the majority of us being mostly recreational and occasional track drivers to get our kicks. 

I always think of a youtube clip of a pretty large chap (being polite) banging on about how much he has spent on carbon fibre bits and all the weight etc. he had stripped out of his car. Truth be known that a lot of the $$$ people spent on their "race cars" can be counteracted by some self investment in the form of 1. learning to be a better driver or 2. do some more exercise :ph34r:

As @DJM mentioned above, seeing what a professional driver can get out of a stock GT Porsche is a good example of giving you a reality check and can be pretty sobering. :rolleyes:

But yes, I do agree on the whole as @StevepGT3  references that good road cars make shite track cars and vice versa. That's why I have one of each.............but............Porsche is the one exception to the rule that no other manufacturer seems to have come close to rivalling building a car that's capable of 95% in both applications. 

And as much as I want @James P to convince me I need a Cup Car it's just not going to happen unfortunately as I love being able to drive my car to the track (and generally back home) :mellow:

(apologies for the thread tangent) 

1 hour ago, hugh said:

That is the reality. In all honesty, most people unless they are a very competent competitive driver will struggle to get the most out of a stock GT Porsche - they are more than capable for the majority of us being mostly recreational and occasional track drivers to get our kicks. 

I always think of a youtube clip of a pretty large chap (being polite) banging on about how much he has spent on carbon fibre bits and all the weight etc. he had stripped out of his car. Truth be known that a lot of the $$$ people spent on their "race cars" can be counteracted by some self investment in the form of 1. learning to be a better driver or 2. do some more exercise :ph34r:

As @DJM mentioned above, seeing what a professional driver can get out of a stock GT Porsche is a good example of giving you a reality check and can be pretty sobering. :rolleyes:

But yes, I do agree on the whole as @StevepGT3  references that good road cars make shite track cars and vice versa. That's why I have one of each.............but............Porsche is the one exception to the rule that no other manufacturer seems to have come close to rivalling building a car that's capable of 95% in both applications. 

And as much as I want @James P to convince me I need a Cup Car it's just not going to happen unfortunately as I love being able to drive my car to the track (and generally back home) :mellow:

(apologies for the thread tangent) 

Agree, if you are out driving a GT (congratulations)either move on or be prepared to ruin a perfectly good( arguably as good as it gets) road car, for, unless you go the whole Hogg, minimal lap time improvements

On 11/03/2018 at 8:14 PM, hugh said:

So they are 95% good up till that point......................

No, they're 100% good to that point, there is just more to extract from it, if you care to go through the process... a lot of it is setup, and driver development. 

I'm personally enjoying (and frustrated at) the process of working it out! :D