997 GT3 Market Watch

The black looks great ,  I’m into my second year of ownership and just a little reminder these cars are starting to show some age , if I were to buy again , I would be checking , front rear engine seals , water pumps, front struts and top mounts , last full service and fluids flush , brakes/gearbox , last battery, condition and the the good old sticky ac buttons , centre consoles and harness and extinguishers .   My bills on my 20,000 kms car that now has 31,000 on it in excess of 40 grand .

This is the difference between a good one and bad one be  when I look at my have done list , my car was a full warranty PPI pampered pooch 

With all that said fuch they are such amazing cars and I would buy another in a heartbeat 

24 minutes ago, symsy said:

The black looks great ,  I’m into my second year of ownership and just a little reminder these cars are starting to show some age , if I were to buy again , I would be checking , front rear engine seals , water pumps, front struts and top mounts , last full service and fluids flush , brakes/gearbox , last battery, condition and the the good old sticky ac buttons , centre consoles and harness and extinguishers .   My bills on my 20,000 kms car that now has 31,000 on it in excess of 40 grand .

This is the difference between a good one and bad one be  when I look at my have done list , my car was a full warranty PPI pampered pooch 

With all that said fuch they are such amazing cars and I would buy another in a heartbeat 

This is the service and fluid change on my car before I sold it . Car had done 28,000 km 

https://aunz.citnow.com/vx_smRxbs2S

I made sure the car had new tyres and everything done that was recommended . The bill had no change from $4000 .

It adds up quickly but the new owner got a car with nothing to spend just drive and enjoy 

1 hour ago, symsy said:

What'd you do, kick the tyres in your thongs Symsy?:ph34r: Hope you paid $40k less than the average or your sharp reputation may suffer somewhat B)

I will fess up and say that I bought Paul’s car and full credit to him to get it how he would have wanted it before handing the keys over. I did have my heart set on a 997 Carrera S but ultimately I would have been a little disappointed and the end goal was always a GT3 of some variety.

Im glad I did make the step as they are a special thing and it makes your hair stand up every time you slide in the seat.

This will be a long term keeper and I look forward to many new adventures, the journey has only just began and it is still a thrill to walk in the shed a see it there, something that I will never tire of.

Everyone should endeavour to own one in there lifetime.

37028081-F1B5-4429-A754-CD16BC5CAB7B.jpeg

4 hours ago, symsy said:

There is no doubt that the bills can add up on these. They are after all a high performance car. Definitely my biggest concern that even a good PPI misses some critical items which may not show signs of being on the way out. RMS was just done on the black Richmonds car and its had some paint on the bar/bonnet to freshen it up, which I'm not really concerned about, but that's all I really know at the moment. 

3 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

What'd you do, kick the tyres in your thongs Symsy?:ph34r: Hope you paid $40k less than the average or your sharp reputation may suffer somewhat B)

I trusted a PPI from the dealer who also held the warranty ,   I have had an interesting conversation with PCA and their Motorsport and warranty team about .. their premium product and why should need so much love.. let’s just say I got some free parts and there must be some people feeling it at a dealership which begins with C in Perth ..

For me it just has to be safe , spanking it in one of these warrants the few extra maintenance precautions .

I do think also it pays to get outta the network and find yourself a Motorsport shop who bank their reputation on your car performing rather than charge you to be on the VIP customer key board of the washbay at the showroom 

As for losses failure and bad car deals are always an orphan .. I just have a few bastard children that’s all .  Wait for the Mktg campaign when I sell it .. I’m hiring Tom 😊

2 hours ago, Shedpest said:

I will fess up and say that I bought Paul’s car and full credit to him to get it how he would have wanted it before handing the keys over. I did have my heart set on a 997 Carrera S but ultimately I would have been a little disappointed and the end goal was always a GT3 of some variety.

Im glad I did make the step as they are a special thing and it makes your hair stand up every time you slide in the seat.

This will be a long term keeper and I look forward to many new adventures, the journey has only just began and it is still a thrill to walk in the shed a see it there, something that I will never tire of.

Everyone should endeavour to own one in there lifetime.

37028081-F1B5-4429-A754-CD16BC5CAB7B.jpeg

Right colour 😆 Or should I have bought the yellow old banger 

333D3F93-3D5A-41A1-BD2A-C53730CC7AD9.jpeg

86D39BAD-B629-498B-8D28-B4AD0698A709.jpeg

Just now, James P said:

Do tell..?

If I must..... 

Best guess, there were a few too many owners for my liking and with the last one having this set up with an aggressive track setup. Maybe the car ultimately is fine but I'm really looking for something with a less checkered history. 

The car has been sitting for 7 or 8 months and hasn't moved. I can only imagine previous enquiries have led the same way. 

Was for sale at Lorbek's last year from what I understand. 

On 18 September 2019 at 14:10, symsy said:

Buy it cheap do the work .. you know u have a good thing , best prices for GT3 buy in a long time 

What's "cheap"?  Seems to me 997 GT3 have flatlined for a while.  I very nearly bought a white 997.1 GT3 CS from Rob at RSR for $180k a couple of years back.  I ended up buying and later selling the GT4 instead.  But it looks like that's still about the mark, perhaps a tad more for a good 'un.  

3 hours ago, DJM said:

Seems to me 997 GT3 have flatlined for a while.

I would say that is a very strong sign for the 997 in a market that has seen the 991.1 being smashed from 300K down to 200K and the 991.2 from an average of $375 down to $320K 

The GT4 has also depreciated quite heavily with sales only happening in the 130-40's down from high 100's in recent times.

4 hours ago, Stephen Tinker said:

In hindsight, was it a good move buying the GT4 instead if the 997.1 GT3 from Rob?

From what perspective?  

Which is "better"?  i drove both and oddly the 997 didn't hook me like the GT4 did at the time.  I much preferred the interior of the GT4.  The Clubsport 997 seats were too narrow and uncformtable for me (whereas my 996 GT2 recaros were perfect).  The GT4 was a cracker of a thing to drive albeit it's not a 911.  

I had a great time in the GT4.  I didn't keep it that long because I found I wasn't using it much. I should have bought a Clubsport so I could track it more safely.  I tracked it once and it was very very good and I preferred the mid engine balance compared to my 996 GT2 which felt arse heavy in that 911 way.

Financially, meh.   Sold it back to PCM and lost bugger all.  Far less than on any typical new euro metal daily driver so it was a non issue.  had I kept it, its value would have taken more of a hit than had I bought the 997.

to answer your question, I made the right decision for me at the time.

2 hours ago, Scott SS964 said:

I would say that is a very strong sign for the 997 in a market that has seen the 991.1 being smashed from 300K down to 200K and the 991.2 from an average of $375 down to $320K 

The GT4 has also depreciated quite heavily with sales only happening in the 130-40's down from high 100's in recent times.

Agreed.  I was questioning Symsys comment that we're seeing "Best Buy in prices for a long time" - i reckon 997s have sat at high 1s for 2+ years.  Certainly performing better than newer stuff as you say - they are dropping fast such that it's hard to predict the trough.

17 hours ago, DJM said:

What's "cheap"?  Seems to me 997 GT3 have flatlined for a while.  I very nearly bought a white 997.1 GT3 CS from Rob at RSR for $180k a couple of years back.  I ended up buying and later selling the GT4 instead.  But it looks like that's still about the mark, perhaps a tad more for a good 'un.  

160-180 , 180-2 for a minter 

being moved around in the trade -30-50 off those numbers , I know but they don’t seem to want to let any of us retail punters  have a nibble at those prices 

19 hours ago, symsy said:

160-180 , 180-2 for a minter 

being moved around in the trade -30-50 off those numbers , I know but they don’t seem to want to let any of us retail punters  have a nibble at those prices 

I reckon that's about right.. and realistic.

But the stock is scarce and prices don't always make sense when that is the case. 

Im with ya and as shared 30-40k down a path of getting mine totally almost back to new .. I love these cars and really are such a unique experience .... I would regardless of supply and demand would also say there would be a 20-40k room for variation for me if I bought again . 

There are some bottom line things I would always look for now experienced wit these cars but would either buy  the cheap car an be thinking about investing to get a new buy back to real known quantity  or buy the best car and pay a fair to premium price .

right now as I said I would be buying one and if Opportunity presented it’s, other Than the centrelocks the . 2 is the one getting hit most on price and a great buy.  Centre locks seem like a lot of drama for little gain when I take my cars wheels off at home 

I hope to get a ride in a 4.0 this week in the Uk 🇬🇧 

On 23/09/2019 at 11:53, T-Man said:

I reckon that's about right.. and realistic.

But the stock is scarce and prices don't always make sense when that is the case.