997 GT3 Market Watch

Hey guys, just saw this listed locally to me at Autohaus Hamilton. White 2007 GT3 997.1 touring
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2007-Porsche-911-GT3-997-Manual-MY07/OAG-AD-18653615

Anyone know the history on this?

Having the aftermarket head unit, is that a concern or a bonus over the Porsche PCM?

Listed at $189,900, what do you think it's worth?

3 minutes ago, Peter 996 said:

Naaa, I reckon if you look closely, the sunroof is still present, it looks like it’s missed quite a few services, large gaps between Km’s and services 

Agreed sunroof is still there.  Aside from the servicing side of things, I really like the look of it apart from the black wheels 🙂 

11 hours ago, mbedford said:

Hey guys, just saw this listed locally to me at Autohaus Hamilton. White 2007 GT3 997.1 touring
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2007-Porsche-911-GT3-997-Manual-MY07/OAG-AD-18653615

Having the aftermarket head unit, is that a concern or a bonus over the Porsche PCM?

I suspect others are right that it’s the ex Gulson Canberra car, appears to have sunroof. 

It probably didn’t come with PCM which is likely why it’s got that aftermarket head unit... neither here or there to me! But if you were pedantic you could source a spare OEM radio, assuming they don’t have it... they’re basic units at best! 

as for price, negotiate on it and see? Get a PPI first though in case anything big ticket is needing attention 

I did inquire about this car when I was in the market and the service history put me off.

The salesman did tell me that the only reason it was not sold as a Porsche Certified Vehicle is because of the head unit. (personally I find that hard to believe)

They were stern on the price 9 months ago and weren't entertaining any offers, maybe they will be a little flexible now.

39 minutes ago, Shedpest said:

I did inquire about this car when I was in the market and the service history put me off.

The salesman did tell me that the only reason it was not sold as a Porsche Certified Vehicle is because of the head unit. (personally I find that hard to believe)

They were stern on the price 9 months ago and weren't entertaining any offers, maybe they will be a little flexible now.

Was there supplementary documents to the service records? 7,000 kms to 31,000 kms is a big gap if there isn't 

37 minutes ago, edgy said:

Was there supplementary documents to the service records? 7,000 kms to 31,000 kms is a big gap if there isn't 

There is no supplementary service receipts.

This was my breakdown on it when I inquired.

29/08/08 – 25/07/11

23,840 km’s and 35 months without a service

3/07/12 -24/01/14

21,948 km and 18 months without a service

24/01/14 – 24/04/19

15,504 km’s and 64 months without a service

The salesman told me it was fine as it was serviced by the mileage.

I'm sure the car is fine, poor service records are my pet hate and especially if your going to fork over that much coin.

The mrs actually sees the sunroof as a bonus :)

What is the GT3 997 requirement for servicing, every year or how many km's?

Servicing history gaps are a bit concerning, but Autohaus Hamilton do have a good reputation so I would be less inclined to think they would sell a rough car.

Where would I get a PPi done?

"The salesman told me it was fine as it was serviced by the mileage."

is that legit way of looking at it and acceptable?

9 minutes ago, mbedford said:

Servicing history gaps are a bit concerning, but Autohaus Hamilton do have a good reputation so I would be less inclined to think they would sell a rough car.

I would say there is possibly  nothing wrong with the car  but my cars get serviced no matter of the mileage no matter what car  . Just remember he is a salesman .

Will impact its desirability ..... maybe . Get a PPI if the car checks out no problem .

I have never used a sunroof in any of my cars but unique in a GT3

24 minutes ago, mbedford said:

I cannot find that information on servicing, but I am led to believe in that period of build they were recommending around 15,000-20,000 km service intervals. 

Ultimately, its not good enough for you that "they are Autohaus Hamilton" because they're the vendor, they will represent it in the best light possible, and so they should for the owner ...  I'd go with a very thorough independent PPI, that should guide you for both mechanical & cosmetic condition, personally PR Technology OR Porsche Centre Willoughby would be who I'd seek to inspect it for you... PCW will be heavy handed on any quotes, so that may play favourably into your negotiations ;) then again, it may be a great car and all you get is validation of that... which is the perfect outcome, but in my experience it rarely happens!

You just dont want to be up for the trifecta of big ticket items in the first year of GT3 ownership... Major service, All brakes + Tyres is going to run you $6-8k 

If you are ^^ by all means, factor it into your negotiations... Oh and these will spring rear main seal leaks when they are not used regularly enough, that is a transmission out job. 

Just researched that the 997 GT3 service intervals are every 30k KM or 15/16k Miles or two years for the GT3, officially.

so according to the service history it has fallen outside of the those requirements twice.

However a good PPI can pickup anything. Can anyone recommend somewhere in Sydney? Maybe PR technology?

Porsche center Wiloughby or PR tech < check :)

Oh and these will spring rear main seal leaks when they are not used regularly enough, that is a transmission out job. < would this be picked up in a PPI?

Question to you all, if you saw this car at a later date and saw the service history discussed above, followed by a PPI then any issues fixed and regular servicing after that, would it still be a turn off?

10 minutes ago, mbedford said:

< would this be picked up in a PPI?

Yes absolutely 

10 minutes ago, mbedford said:

Question to you all, if you saw this car at a later date and saw the service history discussed above, followed by a PPI then any issues fixed and regular servicing after that, would it still be a turn off?

It shouldn't be no, look at it this way, it is getting up in mileage, so really it falls out of the "collector" criteria and into the "driver" category ... the next person is going to want to use it and have peace of mind, and you can provide that by documenting everything  you have done prior to, and during your ownership. 

My 997 didn't "stamp the books" so religiously, but it was kept by one shop who could confirm it was maintained on an open cheque book basis... even so, with the PPI it needed work,  so when I bought it, we just factored it into the sale and it never misses a beat... I beat the hell out of it. They are tough cars... good luck. 

12 minutes ago, mbedford said:

It has just had a full major service done which is a promising sign

What you can do is call Gulson service and quote that Job # ask what was carried out and if any notes on the work order that weren't attended to... you may find a bunch of recommendations were made that the customer did not action all so they could have the stamp, you may also find that they dropped a bunch of $$$ into other maintenance items... it only costs you your time to make that call. 

12 minutes ago, edgy said:

What you can do is call Gulson service and quote that Job # ask what was carried out and if any notes on the work order that weren't attended to... you may find a bunch of recommendations were made that the customer did not action all so they could have the stamp, you may also find that they dropped a bunch of $$$ into other maintenance items... it only costs you your time to make that call. 

great advice @edgy - I would do same. Doing a little digging to see what you can turn up, may help.

@mbedford - above all, (as suggested by others), arrange a PPI. Once you have that info, you can be aware of anything outstanding. If it checks out well, it may be a great car. From your previous posts, it seems like this GT3 may fit the profile of car you have been after.  

26 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

Nice number plate too, obviously PO had a healthy respect for other drivers and bureaucracy 🙂 

3 hours ago, edgy said:

If you are ^^ by all means, factor it into your negotiations... Oh and these will spring rear main seal leaks when they are not used regularly enough, that is a transmission out job. 

Thankfully though, Porsche are relatively easy to work on (compared to a Ferrari or similar). Independent shop pricing reflects this so you just need to factor in any problems the PPI reveals.

Oh, and the dealers have recently lowered their pricing because they're being eaten alive on parts pricing by independents (namely BWA) so it might be worth seeing what a dealer will quote you for any repairs if you feel more comfortable going that way.

I have the last major service and other items replaced report done Apr 2019  paperwork now, also have the PPI report from Autohaus Hamilton.

I'll take a look at the car this long weekend and if me and the other half like it i'll arrange for PR Technology to do a PPI including costings for all work required.

On 02/06/2020 at 20:41, mbedford said:

Nobody has picked it up yet, but if you look carefully through photos you will see hand written numbers in handbook. Which will be the record of engine replacement. New engine serial number! 

Not sure what effect this has on values? 🤔

1 hour ago, PDean said:

Nobody has picked it up yet, but if you look carefully through photos you will see hand written numbers in handbook. Which will be the record of engine replacement. New engine serial number! 

Not sure what effect this has on values? 🤔

Have you any factual evidence the engine has been changed or are you just guessing?

I presume the second serial number is the gearbox?

Surely it would be a pretty spectacular incident to require both the engine and gearbox cases to be changed?

Looks to me that whoever filled in the delivery date also simply jotted down some serial numbers for the sake of future convenience as the writing looks to me like it was done by the same person.

I'm asking for my own education, thanks! 

That's an interesting observation - what makes you think the numbers written in the service book is a "replacement" engine number?

If you are correct, it would impact on the resale (it would to me if I was in the market) as these engines are next to impossible to destroy unless you have a big money shift....

It shouldn't be too hard to check!

If it helps, mine has the last 5 digits of the engine # hand written in the book too... my car was delivered by Porsche Centre Adelaide and I PPI’d the car there when buying, they validated the number is the original one it was delivered with, I don’t know why this is, but it’s not out of the ordinary! 
Having said this, I heard there was some early 997’s that had issues with porous engine case castings... cannot say I’ve come across one though.