997 GT3 Market Watch

Guys, i've checked out the numbers on the delivery sticker versus the official car specification dump from Porsche, all the hand written numbers much up with the official dump from Porsche. Nothing points to me anything dodgy here about engine or gearbox replacements.

At this point going off the PPI from Autohause Hamilton (seller) conducted (and need a PPI from a 2nd local workshop) the main items that concern me of some value to replace/fix into the $1000’s are:

I’m still interested in the car, however it does appear to me it hasn’t been given as much TLC as I personally give my other sports cars, and I would like for a car at this price point ($190k).

Here is some of my feedback on this: 

• Front black apron lip is quite badly scuffed up and marked - these are considered consumable, you should get used to keeping 1 or 2 in stock  
  • LHR inner wheel arch liner cracked and broken - If its the little mud spat (front of the arch aka dog leg) it seems to be common, I have replaced them
  • Front under tray cracked - replace, these cars are low, it happens
  • Serpentine belt is showing signs of age < this should have been changed at 6 years according to Porsche http://howtoporsche.com/porsche-maintenance-plans/2006-to-2009-911-997-gt3-gt3-rs-service-schedule/ and has never been changed - I am told these were ear marked as "replace at technicians discretion"
  • other minor items like broken cup holder, broken front boot switch, all probably totaling a couple of grand inc labour. - These are a little odd IMO, the climate and radio knobs are known to wear and tear but busted cup holders and switches is a bit of neglect

At this point, I would be talking to the seller before proceeding and feeling out how they would handle the transaction, will they negotiate $$ on these items of concern, or will they potentially offer to step in and repair prior to delivery?

I agree with you, at the asking $$ you are definitely not out of place expecting things to generally be right, if it was well under market, sure you'd be bit cheeky, but its asking market price for a good example, so thats what you should be expecting.... some of the consumables are trivial IMO. 

3 hours ago, mbedford said:

Guys, i've checked out the numbers on the delivery sticker versus the official car specification dump from Porsche, all the hand written numbers much up with the official dump from Porsche. Nothing points to me anything dodgy here about engine or gearbox replacements.

At this point going off the PPI from Autohause Hamilton (seller) conducted (and need a PPI from a 2nd local workshop) the main items that concern me of some value to replace/fix into the $1000’s are:

I’m still interested in the car, however it does appear to me it hasn’t been given as much TLC as I personally give my other sports cars, and I would like for a car at this price point ($190k).

My last car with only 35,000 km I replaced all trays inner guard linings and been through countless lips .

Nothing to be concerned about . 
my GT3 before that had the same not expensive items 

patina

You will master plastidip and and how to sand ur front splitter and just have a new one ready to put on the car for show days or the day you sell it ...😊

Many other things to consider and have 10k buffer in your glove box for real running costs , how are the suspension top mounts , the sticky radio buttons , the centre console , the dates on the harness and fire extinguisher ? 

When was the brake fluid last flushed and transmission oil ?

Alongside how are the brakes and tyres ? 

Hope u buy one u  won’t regret it 

On 04/06/2020 at 20:53, mbedford said:

Does this car specs dump from porsche showing the cars engine and transmission serial numbers answer any doubt?

WP0ZZZ99Z7S791448 Porsche Central Service System info.pdf 96.36 kB · 26 downloads

That's good to know. My bad. I thought possibly hand written numbers might be a record of engine serial number change. I like this info as helps identify engine and g/box codes on original sticker in handbook. 

So I guess all handbooks have the 2 hand written numbers? 🤔

25 minutes ago, PDean said:

So I guess all handbooks have the 2 hand written numbers? 🤔

No, I don't think they all do.

I have seen several recently in my searching. This is the first I have noticed. My 2007 997 Carrera does not have them handwritten either. 

On 03/06/2020 at 12:04, wilson59 said:

Hey @wilson59,

I am curious if the Red lipstick 💋 all over this girl is the cause of your track time suspicions..? 

Or do you know more about the history?

6 hours ago, luzzo said:

Hey @wilson59,

I am curious if the Red lipstick 💋 all over this girl is the cause of your track time suspicions..? 

Or do you know more about the history?

No idea . My assumption came only from the fact it comes with a full cage and has a big cut out switch plonked on the dash .

9BA2A4F5-D38A-4AEA-9F8C-893F1288A2EF.png

11 hours ago, symsy said:

You will master plastidip and and how to sand ur front splitter and just have a new one ready to put on the car for show days or the day you sell it ...😊

Many other things to consider and have 10k buffer in your glove box for real running costs , how are the suspension top mounts , the sticky radio buttons , the centre console , the dates on the harness and fire extinguisher ? 

When was the brake fluid last flushed and transmission oil ?

Alongside how are the brakes and tyres ? 

Hope u buy one u  won’t regret it 

All those items you me mentioned above have passed or are sufficient tread/wear depths etc. Although all this is from Autohaus hamiltons own PPI and as they are the seller I expect to get a 2nd independant PPi with repair costs completed by PR technology.

12 minutes ago, mbedford said:

After much investigation I decided to not proceed with the white gen 1 at Autohaus Hamlton. ~$20k worth of parts alone, the 76,000km and general non TLC the care seemed to not receive made me decide it wasnt the right gt3 example for me.

Disappointing... care to share the rough list? 

The boys at PR asked me if I'd sell mine last night since they had a customer with a failed PPI as the car was dog example (not the one your looking at) seems like nice ones are thin on the ground? The black one (fellow PFA members car) looks like the best at the moment. 

6 minutes ago, edgy said:

Disappointing... care to share the rough list? 

The boys at PR asked me if I'd sell mine last night since they had a customer with a failed PPI as the car was dog example (not the one your looking at) seems like nice ones are thin on the ground? The black one (fellow PFA members car) looks like the best at the moment. 

Anything decent tightly held as you know.

On 11/06/2020 at 17:53, symsy said:

So a good can still warrant 2 plus it seems with average cars at 190 , maybe I will sell 😂

Where are all the RS’s I need a desperate dealer to upgrade 

Agreed - I'm just not sure if this one (mine) is "average" or underpriced...

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2007-porsche-911-gt3-997-manual-my08/SSE-AD-6433633/?Cr=0

Hope you find your RS seller!

On 11/06/2020 at 11:52, edgy said:

Thanks Edgy.

Following this thread - my two cents worth after speaking with prospective buyers over the last 2-3 weeks is that most do not seem to heed the seasoned advice from the likes of yourself, Smysy, etc.

From a start price of, let's say $170k, you can easily find yourself up for another $10-$15k to take care of a few items (eg dated tyres, clutch/RMS, major service, pads/rotors). But then, MOST IMPORTANTLY, are you buying a good car? If service items have been neglected how have the owners have cared for the vehicle in other respects. The result may well be that you find yourself in for $180-$185k and end up with a previously neglected car in average condition with poor history. The old adage - buy the best car you can afford..

19 minutes ago, us72t said:

Thanks Edgy.

Following this thread - my two cents worth after speaking with prospective buyers over the last 2-3 weeks is that most do not seem to heed the seasoned advice from the likes of yourself, Smysy, etc.

Maybe they are not forum users? I do not know... 

I find there is two types of buyer for GT3... those that love the idea of it, then those who can't live without it... 

I think the most important factor is to buy an honest car, and that starts with history/documentation... I think other factors come hand in hand with this, and seriously lot of people get held up on mileage... these motors are robust as they come, higher mileage will only play into resale, you will buy it cheap and sell it cheaper, so who cares? my old 90k mile 996 runs 1:43's at SMP just nicely with a good pilot... proof that not many horses left the paddock in 16 years and 90,000 kms.... as you say in your ad; RIP Hans Mezger 

Wish this one would be realistic on his price. It's got zero options on it and he told me 2 weeks ago he's already refused an offer at $225k.

I said if you want to talk about a high 100's figure to call me.

Check out this 2007 Porsche 911 GT3 997 Manual MY07.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2007-Porsche-911-GT3-997-Manual-MY07/SSE-AD-6601199

Rest of the market...

Black, so not for me: Check out this 2007 Porsche 911 GT3 997 Manual MY08.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2007-Porsche-911-GT3-997-Manual-MY08/SSE-AD-6433633

Raff did the PPI on it 2 weeks ago and it failed, unless you just want a track car: Check out this 2007 Porsche 911 GT3 997 Manual MY07.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2007-Porsche-911-GT3-997-Manual-MY07/OAG-AD-18726055

The rest are at unobtainuim prices $390k +

2 hours ago, mbedford said:

Wish this one would be realistic on his price. It's got zero options on it and he told me 2 weeks ago he's already refused an offer at $225k.

I said if you want to talk about a high 100's figure to call me.

Check out this 2007 Porsche 911 GT3 997 Manual MY07.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2007-Porsche-911-GT3-997-Manual-MY07/SSE-AD-6601199

Rest of the market...

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2007-Porsche-911-GT3-997-Manual-MY08/SSE-AD-6433633

Raff did the PPI on it 2 weeks ago and it failed, unless you just want a track car: Check out this 2007 Porsche 911 GT3 997 Manual MY07.
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2007-Porsche-911-GT3-997-Manual-MY07/OAG-AD-18726055

The rest are at unobtainuim prices $390k +

I know of 1 off  market sale of at Gen1 sub 40,000 kms and it had a 2 in front of it and I also know of a .2 but that’s 250 in discussion 

Where did this price benchmark of 180-190 come from that seems to be discussed on this thread , it don’t seem like it’s linked to sales ??? 

Im an owner and my benchmark thoughts were 200-245 when I bought 2 years ago , do we think these prices have fallen ... ?

The UK market for example isn’t a good reference , brexit plus Covid plus a crap economy = financial strain 

I am pondering a change and as an owner and as feedback I would be pitching a car CS 200-225 gen1 and  Gen2 235-255 .

I have seen RS that were very toppy in price fall but only from a very inflated position in my view .

As a side thought on mileages I have been looking at 996 turbo/997 turbos and have seen a worked 200,000kms car  and my question do we really have anything to worry about ? Same motors right ! 

I hope u find your cars soon lads .. you will love em I suggest take down the barrier and worry about the 10k And when u have 10k GT3 mileage and smiles under your belt you won’t be regretting it ... 

29 minutes ago, symsy said:

I know of 1 off  market sale of at Gen1 sub 40,000 kms and it had a 2 in front of it and I also know of a .2 but that’s 250 in discussion 

Where did this price benchmark of 180-190 come from that seems to be discussed on this thread , it don’t seem like it’s linked to sales ??? 

The market seemed to dictate the prices . Cars above 200 K don't sell the ones below do .

In the three years I have been looking at this market there have been next to FA cars in the .1 sell above 200 K 

$6k for a full colour wrap and choose any colour you want.

This car floats my canoe, warranty, superbly optioned, fully loved and full service history.

Certainly the pick of the minuscule market.

3 hours ago, symsy said:

If they are non clubsport, please let me know how to contact the owners? My budget can go into the low $200k's for the right car.

1 hour ago, James P said:

.1's are changing hands in private sales for 160 to 170 now days for good cars, mint cars will be above that but not by much. trade in's are around 140 as of a few months ago 

From me very closely looking at the market for 3 months now and making a lot of calls, I agree with James. 997.1 GT3's 160 to 170 are sold within 2 weeks. Above that, just dont sell.
997.2's too hard to say, they just dont come up it seems. but low $200k's a realistic price to buy, they advertise for $225k-$250k