997 GT3 Market Watch

1 hour ago, hugh said:

What is the engine capacity of the 86? Standard? 

Nah that thing is a monster, 2JZ with a sizeable borg warner turbo on E85. Bare metal interior with roll cage and one seat.

2jzBRZ.jpg

11 hours ago, Kammo said:

That's what I don't get with Time Attack. I had a look at the times and was underwhelmed.  Guys spend mega bucks on mega engines, crazy aero, massive rubber, sequential gearboxes, data logging dash etc but the cars are often not that fast (other than the serious front runners in low 1:30 which is seriously fast). I agree low 40s is pretty slick but I assumed far more  cars would be sub 1:40 by the look and cost of their cars. 

I'm no Vettel but I did a 1:45 the only time I've been to PI in my S1 RX7 track car on 225 X 15" semi slicks, no aero, no sequential box etc. That would put me top 8 at Vic Time Attck in my shit box.  maybe I should enter ?  Mind you his $150k probably buys him a bit more reliability than my $17k Mazda ?

15 hours ago, DJM said:

I'm no Vettel but I did a 1:45 the only time I've been to PI in my S1 RX7 track car on 225 X 15" semi slicks, no aero, no sequential box etc. That would put me top 8 at Vic Time Attck in my shit box.  maybe I should enter ?  Mind you his $150k probably buys him a bit more reliability than my $17k Mazda ?

Yeah I tend to agree. I think there is a huge element of setup when you're doing a bare-metal rebuild and engine transplant, you've got to work out the new spring rates and damper settings and that's not super easy when you've also got 350kw+ that needs to be contained. I've always preferred to just tweak a standard platform, it's a much easier process and you bank more actual seat time vs. setup time. In any case, given the right the driver I'd bet that car would do a mid-to-high 30 at the Island given that V-Sport chalked up a 36 in their VK54 86.

^^^ this is why I love Porsche, specifically GT cars. I want to go to the track, thrash my car all day and only put fuel in it/check tyre pressures with whatever scheduled maintenance is required in between. People rag on Porsche’s for being expensive, but neglect to consider what they spent (both time and money) on their (insert other marque here, usually Japanese of some sort) track build only to spend most of their time at the track fixing it when it breaks. Much better to just buy something that has had millions of R&D done by the factory. I speak not as an elitest, but someone who has been down both pathways (I know which one I like better).

On 11/04/2018 at 8:17 PM, DJM said:

Agreed. GT cars are awesome out of the box with gains possible with simple tweaks.  the downside is the repair cost if you bin or break it.  I spent $65k sourcing a replacement motor and rebuilding it for the GT2 when I had it.  Tyres and brakes were quite expensive and being heavy ish they get chewed out more regularly.  the couple of times I had it on track, I was always a bit restrained considering the consequences of a crash or breakage.  

After the GT2, I decided to buy someone else's money pit track car.  I paid $17k and it would cost $50k+ to recreate.  Even with replacement gearbox, turbo and recently engine and ECU in few years I've had it, it probably owes me $40k, it's worth $25k.  Happy to sink $15k for all the fun it's given me.

sure I've had some frustration in recent times with shit workshops dragging the chain but soon I'll be up and running again.  And race cars always cost money when you flog them for 40+ laps a session.  Recent engine rebuild (race Bridgeport) was about $9k.  ECU $1k.  Dyno and tune a couple of grand.  Weighs 900kg so I'm still on the first set of A050 (225s) and brake pads, cheap and infrequent to replace.  Faster than GT3s and much much cheaper in terms of sunk costs.  But I accept I'm not the norm - not everyone is happy to bomb around in a shit box that people look down their nose at.  Me, I love it ?.  Teenage kids seem to love the old school stuff., always getting the thumbs up and photos taken, especially after harassing McLarens and 991 RS, eve one gets a kick out of it.  

Time Attack seems to combine the Porsche cost with jap spec and they spend a LOT on presentation and bling.  Data logging dash, pfffft, how's that make you faster? Not my cup of tea as impressive as some of the front runners are.

RX7 ?  I seem to recall an older post but not certain.

Edit - reading issues on my part.  Took me about 5sec this time to see that you'd referred to the car in an above post.....apologies.

On 10/04/2018 at 6:43 PM, DJM said:

Mind you his $150k probably buys him a bit more reliability than my $17k Mazda ?

Yet you both probably have the same amount if fun ?

I'm sure @spiller is enjoying a much cheaper (I imagine) 996 cup car to thrash around a track than worrying about his old road 996 GT3. The boy can drive from what I've seen, and I have no doubt he was/is getting to a point in his abilities to be able to push harder for a better lap time, yet at the risk of totalling his road car. Smart move if going to the track is what you want to do (my Porsche helmet and fuel money is waiting @spiller ?) 

After being at The Bend over the weekend and watching the GT3 Cup Challenge (the missus loved them too, especially the sound), I started looking at 996 cup cars for a laugh when we got home, and she asked what I was looking at online, and then said I should go for it ? Then ofcourse reality sets in with running and repair costs, so that dream of racing a Porsche was over pretty quickly ☹

If you have the means and want to do some track work, buying a purpose built race car will be cheaper in the long run, as it might not be you that writes your road car off that has no track insurance, but some other donkey in a $900 Hyundai Excel! 

5 hours ago, hugh said:

Yes, still comes with Porsche repair + maintenance costs unfortunately. 

Not to mention Porsche Motorsport has done really well at monetising this whole customer racing thing, having your cake and eating it,  imagine that! 

8 hours ago, LeeM said:

Yet you both probably have the same amount if fun ?

I'm sure @spiller is enjoying a much cheaper (I imagine) 996 cup car to thrash around a track than worrying about his old road 996 GT3. The boy can drive from what I've seen, and I have no doubt he was/is getting to a point in his abilities to be able to push harder for a better lap time, yet at the risk of totalling his road car. Smart move if going to the track is what you want to do (my Porsche helmet and fuel money is waiting @spiller ?) 

After being at The Bend over the weekend and watching the GT3 Cup Challenge (the missus loved them too, especially the sound), I started looking at 996 cup cars for a laugh when we got home, and she asked what I was looking at online, and then said I should go for it ? Then ofcourse reality sets in with running and repair costs, so that dream of racing a Porsche was over pretty quickly ☹

If you have the means and want to do some track work, buying a purpose built race car will be cheaper in the long run, as it might not be you that writes your road car off that has no track insurance, but some other donkey in a $900 Hyundai Excel! 

As Lee put it, for me I didn’t want the worry of crashing it at the track anymore. It was either that or stop doing track days and track days were why I primarily wanted the car. Plus I wasn’t using it enough on the street to justify having it, so it became a matter of sell and look at cup cars. Easier to walk away from 50K than 150K if you put it in the wall, still, that is not something I’d like to consider so I’m never quite driving at 10/10ths in the dangerous areas. Running costs for me were a bit inconsequential because when I added up what the road car was costing me to keep in insurance, rego and interest (road car was part financed, cup car will be owned outright), it was a hefty sum. If you are doing 15-20 track days a year, the cup car needs more consideration as the tyres are the biggest difference in cost between road and cup. Everything else is more or less the same as the road car. I will probably use it 5 or 6 times a year, so it made sense for my circumstances. I also want to dabble in a race or two which is a nice option to have.

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, GRK930 said:

In other news, looks like the lorbek CS sold. Was asking $239k

$239k is a big number, I'm guessing they put together a good trade offer for someone? 

15 hours ago, DJM said:

Is that a 912 GT3?  4 cyl?  ?

Its a little tongue in cheek, but a nod to the IMSA RSR's, they are numbered 911 & 912 respectively... I run that competition number in the club super sprints. 

Porsche-911-RSR+%25282%2529.jpg

3 hours ago, symsy said:

Wow big $ and big kms .. will be one to watch , looks pretty in black

Big $$ really?

I don’t think so man.. I think it’s priced right TBH, a little low actually... that is, if it’s as good as the ad suggests!

But you don’t get the full 9 years warranty from Porsche if the car is a POS, I think that speaks volumes. 

28 minutes ago, edgy said:

Big $$ really?

I don’t think so man.. I think it’s priced right TBH, a little low actually... that is, if it’s as good as the ad suggests!

But you don’t get the full 9 years warranty from Porsche if the car is a POS, I think that speaks volumes. 

Mate , im with you , in that they are gems , I just thought the market had taken a bit of a slashing.. maybe it and I am a  confused by the couple of rogue cars being sold sub 200k

and the change over and somewhat glut of GT3s generally 996 , 7 and 991 as the chase went on for the 991.2 releasing a few cars.

I like many owners would like to see them firmly hold their price and I as a new comer feel they are a very very special car.. still intimate and naalogue enough .. needless to say the performance speaks for itself hence my new love affar with Water.

I know another owner on here sold a car sub 200k but that was not a CS .

3 hours ago, symsy said:

Wow big $ and big kms .. will be one to watch , looks pretty in black

Certainly some great photos which always stir the emotion. Unusually high Kms for a 997.1 GT3 will also have people thinking about values. Its all about due diligence and your personal acceptance of the kms, if the car has been looked after extremely well in the hands of a thoughtful owner then its gotta have a green light.