997 GT3 Market Watch

4 hours ago, hugh said:

Owners may chime in with the details re recent sales/purchases. 

I agree, I don’t think an RS at twice the price over a CS is compelling. 

2 sales in the last page alone. 

I agree. Not worth that imho. Not even near that really. $600k ask is a seriously huge amount of 💰
I’m thinking $400k or maybe a tad more - not much. I think the ask is purely a play to get some fool on the hook and it will sit at that for a long time. If I’m wrong - ok! 

5 hours ago, Lindo said:

Sorry I haven't asked. But the price stopped me asking me any more.

And right  there ^^^^^^^^ we at least have some sort of sanity..... 

Will the madness ever stop???? or will a fool and his money part - which will then create yet another high water mark?????

Interesting times we live in for sure.....

55 minutes ago, on_booost said:

And right  there ^^^^^^^^ we at least have some sort of sanity..... 

Will the madness ever stop???? or will a fool and his money part - which will then create yet another high water mark?????

Interesting times we live in for sure.....

You know happens to high watermarks ,Eventually  the boat sinks. ;)

2 hours ago, mc968cs said:

Interesting…So…anything wrong with car…or just the ask was too high at $450k to sell? 

Sorry, that one was an end of the work day post. I meant to say 450K and that’s been the market for the 7.2 for a while. Not many change hands so it’s bloody hard to track. I think this car sold in SA back when the 991.1 RS was new (2016) as the owner upgraded. Price back then was under 220K from memory!!

On 11/11/2021 at 07:06, mbedford said:

And the GT3 just passed PPI. One of the best examples they have seen they said! Like a new car they said.

So happy, the car should be with me as its new home in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for all the support and advice on this thread for the last nearly 2 years! I've been looking. You've all been so helpful.

Screenshot_20211111-070326_Carsales.jpg

Congrats @mbedford.  Looks like a cracking car. 

And it's Red... :Drool:

On 17/11/2021 at 10:14, luzzo said:

Congrats @mbedford.  Looks like a cracking car. 

And it's Red... :Drool:

Thanks! Only took 2 years on this thread hanging around to find the right car! Super low km's, tasty options. It should be with me late next week from melbourne. Then got to get it blue slipped and registered. Nsw plates will be 997MZG 

15 minutes ago, DM911 said:

The 4.0 was being talked about fairly reverently on the Collection Cars Harris / Preuninger podcast......

And it is a very nice looking car!!!

1 hour ago, wilson59 said:

You need to get in and drive more .

We see Ian pretty regularly at our PCT Northern runs and GT gruppe drives 🙂   (when it isn't raining...........🤨)

Given the saying is "he who dies with the most toys wins" it is inevitable that you're going to end up with very low mileage cars in that circumstance. Even if you do drive them regularly.

I'm sure there are plenty of sub 10k km 997 GT3s as a result.

I was up at challenge Bathurst a few weeks ago. Amateur / club level event.   Literally hundreds of sports cars and maybe (a total guess) 75 Porsche in the events including the Porsche clubs aus sub event. Newer  GT3 (991) in droves, boxsters, plenty gt4. All road cars.   Yet what jumped out was almost no 996 GT3 or 997 GT3. I think 2 x 996 GT3 and 1- 2 x 997 GT3 were there. I think there were more 997 turbos than 997 GT3 on track.  

So….curious what people think - what’s  happened to them? Really interested to understand this. 

(Is 996 and 997  getting older and too expensive to track, or now in storage as all think worth so much?  Or?   I don’t know - It is a material shift from even just 3 years ago. )

52 minutes ago, mc968cs said:

I was up at challenge Bathurst a few weeks ago. Amateur / club level event.   Literally hundreds of sports cars and maybe (a total guess) 75 Porsche in the events including the Porsche clubs aus sub event. Newer  GT3 (991) in droves, boxsters, plenty gt4. All road cars.   Yet what jumped out was almost no 996 GT3 or 997 GT3. I think 2 x 996 GT3 and 1- 2 x 997 GT3 were there. I think there were more 997 turbos than 997 GT3 on track.  

So….curious what people think - what’s  happened to them? Really interested to understand this. 

(Is 996 and 997  getting older and too expensive to track, or now in storage as all think worth so much?  Or?   I don’t know - It is a material shift from even just 3 years ago. )

I have been doing Porsche Club track days for nearly 7 years and in my first year (2015) there were a bunch of 996 and 997. Then they went up for the first time and suddenly there were none. It’s more or less been that way since here in SA apart from the odd stray car every now and again. 

2 hours ago, mc968cs said:

I think the people who buy them new track them and use them as intended.  When the new stuff comes out, they move on to that and use it for the same purpose.

The older stuff hits the second hand market and most of it is tucked away and used on weekend drives and not really on the track days, club events.  I think the buyer pool is (largely) different, which I find funny as you end up with the "never tracked" pieces in the sales adverts.  I think pretty much every 993RS must have seen a race track at some point, hasn't hurt the prices of those!

The old stuff is plenty capable and its not (in my experience) expensive to track - I've run a 996TT for over a decade and had a 7/2 and 997.2TT and none of them have been expensive to run over a number of years. 

3 hours ago, mc968cs said:

I think 2018 was the last year I ran the club super sprints, and there was plenty of earlier cars still at that point in time, yourself included… has that changed?

I restored the 997 in 2019 and whilst it was damn near perfect… it actually ruined the ownership experience for me! 😂 I preferred it all peppered up and patina’d… So I sold it last year to buy the unicorn to me 996 RS… which will be running PCNSW super sprints next year. 

I had noticed a lot of the recently acquired owners are of a different persuasion, they often have zero interest in tracking the car, I also know people that sold up 996 & 997 because they became too valuable to track. 

To me that is a great shame, but a common theme amongst transient owners, they end up selling because they never enjoyed the car… which to fully understand, you need to drive it on its limit… kind of like the G Wagen, once you take it off road the lightbulb💡 moment happens and you understand what the car is all about.