Power - kWh per day

"The rich get richer,  the poor get the picture" sang Midnight Oil

The tall bald one almost certainly has gold plated solar collectors , though he has paid the price in sweat and second hand smoking..

People do pay the price for the luxury life, though this is not the forum to analyse how! 

And yes , the Big Tax Collector sucks , esp for those who cannot benefit from cashies. But some of this flows to the less fortunate.

fyH9Gxd.jpg

Must get me some of them new fangled solar collectors one day when the investment makes financial sense.

In the meantime I rely on a small forest to suck up my gaseous emissions and keep me warm in winter.

Very Big house. Cedar windows - French doors, aka a sieve. Wife who runs AC 24/7. Pool the size of the universe, 7 pumps. Pump running irrigation from my dam to my gardens about 50hrs a week.

You live the lifestyle you pay the price. I'm not complaining. I was just shocked at the dollar figure on the bill - I worked it out. My electricity company put up my tariff 7 cents / kw without notifying me. That was nice of them.

I'm having a 30kw solar system installed to offset the usage. Batteries still don't make sense but when they do I'll be getting a couple.

13 hours ago, Niko said:

Not sure what you call gross unfortunately, but the house comparison for the month is ....

our home. 188kWh.  

compared with 1 person home. 201kWh

compared with 2 person house 282kWh  

What I meant is what you may have quoted your actual use less any input from solar ie a net use....so for example you may use 20 kwh (gross use) and collect 15 kwh from the panels = 5 kwh net use.

Your gas use for hot water will significantly impact the use as traditional HW systems use an element like a kettle and are big energy consumers.  The stove less so but it all adds up.

1 hour ago, P-Kay said:

I'm all for storing what you generate

Me too! Feed in tariff is a joke and does nothing to encourage the uptake of panels. I'm rarely home during the day so pointless for me to install panels!

I'm like Niko, lights off when leaving a room, often go for a fan rather than switch on the 3 zone ducted heating and cooling. I  will first go for a jumper and woolen socks before the heater when cold. Always run the ducted zoned...

Single person, 3 bedroom 1940's double brick home with brick veneer extension. Only cooker and HWS is gas (HWS changed over to an instant gas system a few months ago saving ~$8 per month). This month daily usage is currently 4.77 kWh. Last month we had a few hot days and ran the ducted aircon on those days - daily average was therefore a little higher at 6.21 kWh. Last winter August was my biggest month having the ducted heating on with consumption at 9.69 kWh.

12 hours ago, DJM said:

i do find it bizarre how clients talk about payback period on solar & batteries to justify the investment yet they don't question their $30k CBUS automation and $5k TV in every living room.   

^This!

Said to bro in law when he was building the mansion; solar?  Nah, doesn't make sense...  But your $1k tap sets do?

2 hours ago, jakroo said:

What I meant is what you may have quoted your actual use less any input from solar ie a net use....so for example you may use 20 kwh (gross use) and collect 15 kwh from the panels = 5 kwh net use.

Your gas use for hot water will significantly impact the use as traditional HW systems use an element like a kettle and are big energy consumers.  The stove less so but it all adds up.

Ok..... I have to say electricity bills are not one of my better forte's

So..... I get peak, off peak and shoulder charges ..

so adding all those up over 30 days I come to   219.488 kWh

Then I get the feed in tariff paid on    213.035 kWh

So I am assuming the NET use would be.        6.453 kWh

Hope that makes sense.:ConfusedGeek:

11 hours ago, firstone said:

The Project examined it.

Generator and supply companies have been given the green light by the AEMC to upgrade their systems and pass on the total cost directly to the consumer with no limits. Assets and Infrastructure improved on you. Not surprisingly some companies were found to be over estimating costs.

Probably a tax deductible as well.

Call it rape. 

Politely not buying it.

the RET ensures that everyone must buy power from ‘alternative’ sources.  Said sources are intermittent but when they do produce it is in bulk and not necessarily correlated with demand.

The resulting skewed market means that traditional generators - which were designed as utilities to continually produce power- can’t operate efficiently and their competitors are always first in line whenever they have supply available.  As a result they are driven out of business despite having a much more efficient generation base.

Try running a business where you always have to supply, but where a competitor is mandated to sell before you if they have supply.  Wouldn’t work for car parks, ice cream trucks or airlines or anything.  The fact there are any generators left at all is testament to how well engineered and efficient  they are in the first place.

The ‘gold plated infrastructure’ argument is covering up the fact that extremely expensive high voltage wires have to be strung out from remote generators (usually wind farms) back to consumers.  The relatively small generator needs the same high cost transmission wires as a station generating 10 or 50x more power.

Add on top of that the complete ban on mining for gas and you have skyrocketing electricity prices and lots of blackouts.  The only reason it hasn’t bitten harder yet is because factories have been closing faster than generators, releasing capacity back.

7 hours ago, Niko said:

Ok..... I have to say electricity bills are not one of my better forte's

So..... I get peak, off peak and shoulder charges ..

so adding all those up over 30 days I come to   219.488 kWh

Then I get the feed in tariff paid on    213.035 kWh

So I am assuming the NET use would be.        6.453 kWh

Hope that makes sense.:ConfusedGeek:

Yep but you get slugged up to 29c per kWh on power you draw down and only 11c paid to you on power to feed in.  And unlike what some people think, solar doesn't power the house.  You draw down all he power you use and you feed in all the power you generate.  So you pay the full whack on all 219kWh and get 11c on all 213kWh.  If they just charged you their rate on the 6 kWh net usage you'd be much better off.  Which is where batteries come in - don't give you power away for 11c, store it and use it (but probably not worth the investment in your case given low usage)

10 hours ago, tazzieman said:

Must get me some of them new fangled solar collectors one day when the investment makes financial sense.

Selling a few cars (which otherwise cost you money to keep) and invest in solar PV (which saves you money) would = financial sense, no?

28 minutes ago, DJM said:

Yep but you get slugged up to 29c per kWh on power you draw down and only 11c paid to you on power to feed in.  And unlike what some people think, solar doesn't power the house.  You draw down all he power you use and you feed in all the power you generate.  So you pay the full whack on all 219kWh and get 11c on all 213kWh.  If they just charged you their rate on the 6 kWh net usage you'd be much better off.  Which is where batteries come in - don't give you power away for 11c, store it and use it (but probably not worth the investment in your case given low usage)

I agree, the companies are thieves, we have had our panels on since June 2012, when we were getting a 33c rebate (Govt and AGL) for the feed in, then the government (State I think?) knocked the rebates off a couple of years ago.  

now AGL cover it all, but only at 11 cents which is better than some.  Then they re sell it on at whatever.

I think we paid about $4000.00 for 9 panels, so I think we are still well into the red in paying for them.

And 6 years later $4k doesn't seem that much.

We get most use out of it during the day obviously, but I have to say I am still thinking about batteries when they drop a bit.  

I hate paying companies that just blatantly rip you off, and I look at it also, that if we ever sell it's going to assist in that.

Be just good, to be self sufficient too..

2 hours ago, Coastr said:

Politely not buying it.

the RET ensures that everyone must buy power from ‘alternative’ sources.  Said sources are intermittent but when they do produce it is in bulk and not necessarily correlated with demand.

The resulting skewed market means that traditional generators - which were designed as utilities to continually produce power- can’t operate efficiently and their competitors are always first in line whenever they have supply available.  As a result they are driven out of business despite having a much more efficient generation base.

Try running a business where you always have to supply, but where a competitor is mandated to sell before you if they have supply.  Wouldn’t work for car parks, ice cream trucks or airlines or anything.  The fact there are any generators left at all is testament to how well engineered and efficient  they are in the first place.

The ‘gold plated infrastructure’ argument is covering up the fact that extremely expensive high voltage wires have to be strung out from remote generators (usually wind farms) back to consumers.  The relatively small generator needs the same high cost transmission wires as a station generating 10 or 50x more power.

Add on top of that the complete ban on mining for gas and you have skyrocketing electricity prices and lots of blackouts.  The only reason it hasn’t bitten harder yet is because factories have been closing faster than generators, releasing capacity back.

Those intermittent unreliable generators also get about 8cents  kwh on top of the going market rate. That is the RET at work. Preferential acess to sell all you can produce and icing on the cake that the traditional guys don't get. That icing is payed for by all electricity users even the poor who can least afford it and are unable to avoid it by installing solar panels. And those that have panels and avoiding the RET cost are just placing a greater burden on those who can not afford or situation does not allow panels. This is all about reducing electricity consumption from traditional reliable sources by making power expensive. The rich will be unaffected and consume as much as normal or make expensive alternate arrangments to ensure supply but the poor will have to cut back and put up with an unreliable intermittent supply. 3rd world here we come. 

Gold plated poles is what it takes to make remote solar and wind work. Say we have a 100MW wind farm. The wires, transformers etc are all rated at 100MW but in Aus the capacity factor is around 25% so you have payed for infrastructure that has a utilisation of 25%. On the other hand a 100MW coal/gas generator can run at over 90% so the poles and wires are way better utilized giving a much greater return on investment and better use of resources. 

Looks like a few here are going to need a large comercial grade Diesel generator to ensure supply when the inevitable forced rationing (demand control) starts in the near future. 

Forgot to add that fuel (Petrol or Diesel) used for power generation gets the fuel excise rebated so Diesel is 80-90c/L

2 hours ago, DJM said:

Selling a few cars (which otherwise cost you money to keep) and invest in solar PV (which saves you money) would = financial sense, no?

In sunless Tassy where there is little grid payback = no. Plus , investment is boring and cars are fun and you only live once.

The cars are cheap to manage, because I am the manager!

2 hours ago, Niko said:

I agree, the companies are thieves, we have had our panels on since June 2012, when we were getting a 33c rebate (Govt and AGL) for the feed in, then the government (State I think?) knocked the rebates off a couple of years ago.  

now AGL cover it all, but only at 11 cents which is better than some.  Then they re sell it on at whatever.

Be just good, to be self sufficient too..

33c paid to you by others. The going rate from a coal plant was 4c KWh before Hazzelwood closed so why would anyone pay wholesale of 33 or even 11 unless forced to do so. 

Probably not as self sufficient as you think as solar only installs use an inverter that requires connection to a functioning grid to work. So no grid connection no power. 

Last bill 14kwk/day same period last year 21kwh. 

5 bed, 2 AC, electric stove, solar hot water on off peak. Brick veneer, tiled roof with insulation batts in ceiling. Two adults and two teens. Oh and 1 old plasma and two led lcds tv's.

The only difference seems to be that I have turned the off peak off unless we get cloudy/rainy days in a row.

500 bucks quarter. 

3 hours ago, firstone said:

Last bill 14kwk/day same period last year 21kwh. 

5 bed, 2 AC, electric stove, solar hot water on off peak. Brick veneer, tiled roof with insulation batts in ceiling. Two adults and two teens. Oh and 1 old plasma and two led lcds tv's.

The only difference seems to be that I have turned the off peak off unless we get cloudy/rainy days in a row.

500 bucks quarter. 

Have you always had solar hot water?  Seems like something is making a difference?

Yes the solar has always been here.

The off peak power to it has a switch inside the bathroom with an indicator light. I assumed although the light was on that the unit wouldn't use much electricity over night but would test. It seems switching it off has made this difference. No loss of hot water though.

22 hours ago, tazzieman said:

"The rich get richer,  the poor get the picture" sang Midnight Oil

The tall bald one almost certainly has gold plated solar collectors , though he has paid the price in sweat and second hand smoking..

People do pay the price for the luxury life, though this is not the forum to analyse how! 

And yes , the Big Tax Collector sucks , esp for those who cannot benefit from cashies. But some of this flows to the less fortunate.

fyH9Gxd.jpg

In the meantime I rely on a small forest to suck up my gaseous emissions and keep me warm in winter.

lol.  Loving that meme.

Hmmm there is another option to reduce your outgoings.

Consume less.

Seriously we live in absolute luxury in Australia, even those who are unfortunate in life in Australia live in absolute luxury.
We have very little to complain about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Grimmy said:

Hmmm there is another option to reduce your outgoings.

Consume less.

Seriously we live in absolute luxury in Australia, even those who are unfortunate in life in Australia live in absolute luxury.
We have very little to complain about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Use less ?????? not me. But I do appreciate the sacrifices others are willing to make to ensure I have enough. 

• 1 month later...