1 hour ago, OZ930 said:

What gearbox is in that? 901 shift pattern, but really doubt it, or did he start in second with a 6 speed?

my guess it's running a RUF 5 speed which from memory has dog leg 1st. @Robert930 would love to know more about this car if you can share any info or pics.

12 hours ago, GregAx said:

my guess it's running a RUF 5 speed which from memory has dog leg 1st. @Robert930 would love to know more about this car if you can share any info or pics.

Hey @GregAx, it's actually a G64 6 speed box with the 4WD front shaft output blocked through a conversion. I bought it over 15 years ago for a mate building a GT40 replica, and then when he abandoned the project my other mate bought it off him. It's funny how many people were (and still are) adamant that gearbox will not fit in a 3.2 car, but he's done a smooth job of it, as he has with the rest of the car.

He was struggling for traction that day, so he tried a 2nd gear launch...lol

Here is another video of me this time when it "only" had 420rwkw at Wakefield Park on old hard tyres ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_McZs7cMFaI

That's super impressive, and quite the handful. Not everyday you see a 930 breaking traction in second gear. Obviously a fair amount of work has gone into this one to fit the 6 speed which completely changes the attitude of the car as well and the 400 + kw output, Great stuff. Interested to hear about the sequential box in it now. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, GregAx said:

For those interested, Shannon's white 930 sold, $190K + 5% buyers premium.

https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2018-shannons-melbourne-late-spring-classic-auction/UUB7JEZACCCZ8476/

By all appearances a very nice pick up for the buyer and at a good price.

• 9 months later...

What's it like to drive a 930?

Your grandmother riding a pushbike into a head wind will beat you off the lights but once you get to around 3800 rpm all hell breaks loose. Not the fastest Porsche around (still not slow even by today's standards ) but would have to be one of the best Porsche for the smile factor.

A very rewarding drive once you get the hang of the turbo coming on all of a sudden.

I for one like the turbo lag.

14 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

What are 930's like to own . Never driven one

This car looks nice

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1978-porsche-930-turbo-manual/SSE-AD-6168016/?Cr=4

As this 1/2 hour from where I live, I'm happy to volunteer to test drive for anyone looking 🙂 

Could also con a couple of mates who own 930's to come with me for an opinion by someone who actually knows something about these....

6 hours ago, Aircon said:

They're awesome to own and this one looks like it could be a good one. Remember, it's a buyer's market! 

Indeed.  The biggest problem is trying to find a good one.  There are no Australian delivered cars after 1985 and 1989 was the last of the series with the G50 transmission fitted for the final year so they're all old.

If you want a decent, no stories car you'll be looking a while but they are out there.  Unsympathetically modified and poorly maintained exampled abound of which the purchase price  is the entry ticket to a world of pain if you wish to put it right.  And some of the 930 owners seem more miserable opening their wallets for maintenance than 996 owners, so you have to careful.

IMO the price of the Tasmanian car appears very fair, it looks to be a very nice car with an appealing colour combination.

7 hours ago, wilson59 said:

I have been keeping a lazy eye on the market and they seem to sit there for some time .I would like to own one for a while .

I tend to do that

I owned mine for 9 years.... Longest I've ever owned a car, bar 1.

I installed a RUF 5 speed gearbox and it transformed it from excellent to sensational. I'm not sure if they're still available. It was definitely less fun when I put the 4 speed back in before sale. 

SPOR200.JPG

anyone after an early 930 mine is up for auction on September 30 on PCARMARKET

its a 1976, last owned by Magnus Walker. In excellent condition have recently undergone a big service with Autohaus Hamilton ($20K+ spent), full external body respray by Exclusive Body Werks and reupholstered doors, seats and carpet by Prostitch. 

_40I2743_zpsstei9zty.jpg

_40I2702_zps90to5yhs.jpg

_40I2919_zpsrcfnhsa3.jpg

_40I2915_zps85sfojgg.jpg

_40I2905_zpsiqemua6m.jpg

_40I2891_zpswpc3qede.jpg

_40I2886_zpsobdk3l5j.jpg

_40I2773_zpsvd8zevhm.jpg

_40I2756_zpspg6kvzwu.jpg

_40I2690_zps3z2pk0cu.jpg