996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

On 5/31/2018 at 4:56 PM, JLD said:

It's highly unlikely that an auto 996 will become collectible one day, I guess this is shown by the fact that the SA one is under $40k and has been on for quite some time. Buy what you want now, not on what you think might be collectible one day

Are there any collectable Porsches of any type in Australia?   I suppose a couple of competition cars, the 550 in the museum in Melbourne  and maybe the 3.0 RS but that's about it. 

Everything else is just mass produced and subject to the usual market forces of whim and fancy. 

Agree 100%.  Buy what you like and drive it. You'll be dead one day.  Maybe sooner than you'd hoped. 

Ones automotive legacy shouldn't be posting on a pricing thread, carless, ad finitum :)

Yeah collectable to me means u can't drive it, and that'll be such a waste..

whatever puts a smile on your dial!

M2's are also great cars, super fast, the only thing i don't like is the adaptable throttle that keeps changing, but it's definitely one of the better modern sports cars. It would be hard to decide between a M2 or a 997.

19 hours ago, quasio said:

M2's are also great cars, super fast, the only thing i don't like is the adaptable throttle that keeps changing, but it's definitely one of the better modern sports cars. It would be hard to decide between a M2 or a 997.

They are as close as you'll get to a raw sports car from BMW these days. Probably the pick of the M range atm.

Having said that, it's a comparison between old and new.

On 6/6/2018 at 12:16 PM, quasio said:

Yeah collectable to me means u can't drive it, and that'll be such a waste..

whatever puts a smile on your dial!

For me I wouldn't be able to get past the depreciation of the M2 as @KeyboardWarrior77 mentioned. I think the 997 is MUCH better value proposition, and 99% of the population will think the 997 is brand new anyway. I would get the 997 everyday (brand bias out of the equation) and sell it in 3 years with an extra 30,000 km's for almost what I bought it for everyday of the week...

36 minutes ago, MFX said:

For me I wouldn't be able to get past the depreciation of the M2 as @KeyboardWarrior77 mentioned. I think the 997 is MUCH better value proposition, and 99% of the population will think the 997 is brand new anyway. I would get the 997 everyday (brand bias out of the equation) and sell it in 3 years with an extra 30,000 km's for almost what I bought it for everyday of the week...

Agreed

49 minutes ago, MFX said:

Yeah new car deprecation sux a large one.

But, it all depends on whether you have the money required for the 997. On account of no finance I mean.

On 5/31/2018 at 4:56 PM, JLD said:

It's highly unlikely that an auto 996 will become collectible one day, I guess this is shown by the fact that the SA one is under $40k and has been on for quite some time. Buy what you want now, not on what you think might be collectible one day

Whilst your comment does make sense, my old tip sits proudly next to a Bentleigh Continental, Ferrari 599, AMG SL55 and R35GTR, all automatics. i guess that's part of a collection? I miss my old girl :( 

26427279319_ec1faa2d3f_c.jpgIMG_6348 by RR Films, on Flickr

I've been considering the 996 vs 996c4s vs 997 comparison recently including all the variants of each and I think I still come to the conclusion that the 996.1 coupe C2 is still the best value for money and pick of the bunch. The 996C4S is the same price as a 997.1 which I just don't get. In fact there's a 997CS tip for cheaper than the three 996C4S tips so why the hell would you buy a 996C4S. In fact he C4S is only slightly short of a 996 Turbo which in my books makes it the worst value for money Porsche at the moment. And these are both twice the price of a 996.1 C2 so for the same money you could buy two cars. Would a 996.1 + a 944S2 give you the same amount of smiles as a 997.1. I think maybe they would give you twice the :) 

Agree that the price differential between a 6 turbo and 6C4 seems to be too little. That said, after recently reading a number of 996 articles it seems there was a certain consensus that the 6C4 was the pick of the NA 996 range. So maybe if you didn't want a turbo, and really wanted a 996 ... a 996 C4 would make sense.

I will be interested to see how much the analogue nature of the 996 plays out over the next decade. If it becomes a contributing factor in values, I can see the 996.1 cars becoming an enthusiast's pic. Do feel that most of the comments made about the 996 platform are made by people who haven't spent time with one. There is a reason whey the 996 sold in greater numbers than the 993 ...

1 minute ago, Simonk said:

Doesn’t the C4S have the same 3.6 as the 996.2C2? Seems like a $30k premium just for a fat arse (a very beautiful one)

Same engine. Believe the C4 shared the running gear from the turbo, so better brakes and (I think) lower suspension. According to the articles I've read, this gave the car a 'better' drive than the C2. Would need to go reread a few things to clarify with more certainty.

Didn't come with the turbo spoiler (which is good because the hydraulics tend to fail) or the air ducts in the rear fenders. Personally, I'd go with a turbo though as I feel they fulfil a certain niche in the Porsche lineup as the 997.1 turbo being a bit soft and the 997.2 turbo being less analogue and considerably more expensive.

I am with you @Simonk. The 6C2 is definitely looking like the best value 911 at the moment. I do like the look of the 6C4 over the C2, but it is just the fat ass really. I think the guys selling the 6C4's at the moment are dreaming, as I would go a 997 everyday. Interestingly the 7C4 doesn't really ask a premium over the 7C2 as there is not much of a cosmetic difference...

4 hours ago, bear924 said:

Believe the C4 shared the running gear from the turbo, so better brakes and (I think) lower suspension.

Supposedly it's the M030 suspension. US version had longer taller springs on it though.

Ok, my perspective which may be interpreted as slightly biased lol!

For me the purest and most analogue feel would be the 996.1 in a C2 manual. Also the one car with the most potential for uplift in values. 

My rationale...

- The C2 has the narrow body harking back to the 911's simple design which had no need for embellishment

- RWD and manual makes it a purist delight, with having to balance neutral to o/steer RWD handling characteristics and being lighter. Manually changing your own cogs is a no brainer

- The early 3.4 being such a rev happy mill that begs to be strung out to that wonderful flat 6 crescendo is a real joy! An experience that can cancel out the bottom end torque advantage of the 3.6. Once again the peaky charisma of the motor harking back to that of original 911's.

- With tips, AWD..etc it's tech for tech's sake which will always get better in the long run and just makes for outdated platforms that have outlived their shelf life. Sure AWD's and tips and PDK's will always give you more efficiency, but there's always a better update around the corner and all those gizmo's just dilute the experience. The love and fondness we feel for classics is not the outright performance, it's that visceral and analogue 1:1 feeling you derive between man and machine. It's the sense of purity.

Anyway back to the 996, the headlights and first watercooled 911 in time will be coveted by collectors. Mark my words. I say this with the sense that that the first of anything that defines a turning point, that marks a new era, will generally be well received in time and history. Although polarising at the time, the reality is that the 996 (being such a competent car otherwise) will eventually end up wearing these perceived anomalies as a badge of honour and distinction in the 911 line-up. Who recalls when 246 Dino's not wearing Ferrari badges and fitted with V6's were a laughing stock!

Now before anyone is ready to write me off to the cuckoo farm just consider this...Porsche will eventually evolve the 911 to something that will become barely recognisable to the original concept. It's already happening - with 991 and eventually 992 and so on the models get fatter, become  more of a grand tourer, the hybrid tech will certainty be incorporated and as we have already seen there is no longer an atmo version. Which is a crying shame in itself as a well revved naturally aspirated mill is a joy to drive in light of what can feel like a homogenised blunt force effect with forced induction. Turbo's and supercharging may get you there faster but it arguably denies you the full involvement of the experience! Therefore my point being is that sadly there may come a time where our beloved 911's become an iteration that seems so foreign, that the lamentable fried eggs and water cooling will almost be remembered as pioneer engineering that were breaths of fresh air compared to an oversized, self driving, hi-tech, hybrid, autobot blimp that will be available in future! lol! 

Anyway sorry for the long post and ramblings, these are just my thoughts. Hopefully sharing my inner thought won't bring a flaming! lol!

Cheers,

Dave.