996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 5:32 AM, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

They are as close as you'll get to a raw sports car from BMW these days. Probably the pick of the M range atm.

Having said that, it's a comparison between old and new.

With limited garage spots, and looking at  raw sports cars on A  budget where the depreciation is done and they respond to tweaking like few others, I recently landed (this week brought back my car off a novated lease)  on complementing a manual 996 turbo with a 4 door dct E90 M3 (purchase price not much more than that 996 auto for 40k)  Both respond well to the right selection of exhaust setup  and tuner (sleepers) and do everything well.

Went to the dark side and who would of thought as a manual guy that the 3rd to 2nd gear  paddle shifted rev matched down shift blip in the E90 m3 is a standout and  just as addictive to manually brought on boost in the tweaked 996 turbo. Both cars off the factory floor coincidently had 420hp, but completely different cars to drive and tweaking them brings much more smile on the dial than stock. A $100 dct gts tune is standout value for what it delivers when your behind the wheel compared to stock in the M3.

Just a view but a pair of iconic motors eg 3.6l boosted mezger and a  s65 4.0l NA V8. 

Don’t overlook the non-S 996.1 C4. Looks the same as the 996.1 C2, ie narrow bodied. Agree that not the same purity as a C2, so will probably end up in a similar situation as the 964 C4 vs C2. Although sends less power to front wheels than 964 C4 - usually 5% - and adds much less weight - 50kg.

In the wet weather we have had in Sydney recently I haven’t regretted having a C4 one bit!

10 hours ago, D2000 said:

Loving the white. Not loving the wheels and the fact the "Unbelievable sound from custom fitted sub woofer" gets a mention but not service history, ownership history, work done, etc ?

7 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Nice. I was expecting the rear seat deleted with the mention of the sub woofer. Add a GT3 carbon wing or ducktail and ya done ?

A bit much for what it is or? 

I think it depends on the things @JWM mentioned as to whether or not it is worth it. @disco‘s car (full aero kit C2 with low km) was a heck of a lot more value and he was not asking that much more

9 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Nice. I was expecting the rear seat deleted with the mention of the sub woofer. Add a GT3 carbon wing or ducktail and ya done ?

I would say it is pushing the limit, but then again white is in these days...

On 6/10/2018 at 8:36 AM, LeeM said:

I reckon that price isn't too far away, particularly for the Kms, but yes, I would want to know more about service history.  Agree about the wheels, they'd definitely be replaced with silver 5 spokes if owned it...

On 6/10/2018 at 8:46 AM, D2000 said:

I think it depends on the things @JWM mentioned as to whether or not it is worth it. @disco‘s car (full aero kit C2 with low km) was a heck of a lot more value and he was not asking that much more

Haha... yep, to think not too long ago I offered up a factory aero kitted C2 manual with 54000kms for $69K and had my tyres kicked by all. Maybe I was asking a premium at the time but you get what you pay for (incidentally Autohaus said it was one of the finest 996's they had inspected and thought it was worth every dollar).

Anyway now with supply drying up we're seeing all the beauties with their 'tasteful' aftermarket mods and higher kays getting considered as decent value.

Amazing what a little time can do.

cheers,

Dave

4 minutes ago, disco said:

Haha... yep, to think not too long ago I offered up a factory aero kitted C2 manual with 54000kms for $69K and had my tyres kicked by all. Maybe I was asking a premium at the time but you get what you pay for ( incidentally AH said it was one of the finest 996's they had inspected and thought it was worth every dollar).

Anyway now with supply drying up we're seeing all the beauties with their 'tasteful' aftermarket mods and higher kays getting considered as decent value.

Amazing what a little time can do.

cheers,

Dave

Good move to hold! :CoolDance:

On 11 June 2018 at 6:19 PM, TwoHeadsTas said:

I reckon that price isn't too far away, particularly for the Kms, but yes, I would want to know more about service history.  Agree about the wheels, they'd definitely be replaced with silver 5 spokes if owned it...

Last service (minor) late 2016 at 65k. Nothing since. Owner said " not done coz not due yet" .

4 hours ago, Trimar666 said:

Interesting to see if this gets snapped up quickly. C4S, manual, well kitted but with high kms and an import.

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2002/SSE-AD-5490795

Nice, I like that. I'd lose me license within a week though 

10 hours ago, dan_189 said:

+996 oil degrades, rubber hoses, gaskets etc. 

I was told when the oil sits for a long period of time, it reacts with the moisture in the engine case. This is the whitish gunk you sometimes see on the oil cap of cars that aren't driven much or ones that don't get run up to temperature properly (lots of short trips).

As @dan_189 says, the resulting mix of oil and water eats away at rubber gaskets, hoses etc... And the grease inside of IMS and other bearings.

This is one theory behind why lower mileage 996s have a higher failure rate of IMSB and why it's always good practice to change oil regularly... Even if you haven't driven the car.

31 minutes ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

I was told when the oil sits for a long period of time, it reacts with the moisture in the engine case. This is the whitish gunk you sometimes see on the oil cap of cars that aren't driven much or ones that don't get run up to temperature properly (lots of short trips).

As @dan_189 says, the resulting mix of oil and water eats away at rubber gaskets, hoses etc... And the grease inside of IMS and other bearings.

This is one theory behind why lower mileage 996s have a higher failure rate of IMSB and why it's always good practice to change oil regularly... Even if you haven't driven the car.

What is regularly? 6 months? 12 months?