996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

15 hours ago, Nugget said:

Seller told me the previous owner was an aircraft engineer.

I wouldn't buy a car if it had been tracked because the drive train is going to cop too much abuse.

Thanks for replies, but I think its overpriced and there's something not right with it.

I stand corrected. He did say aircraft engineer. 

With regards to track days, I think the odd track day is not an issue. We’re talking about sports cars aren’t we?

18 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Doh, must have missed that, bit behind the times aren't I.....

Well, you are from Tassie ??

22 hours ago, Nugget said:

I've been looking for a C2 manual for about 18 months & I can't recall seeing this one before.

Spoke to the seller, he said it hasn't been serviced since 2015. When it was in for the service (at TD automotive), the mechanic checked the IMS bearing and said it was fine.

Wondering how you would check a sealed bearing.

Are there any give-away signs that it has been tracked? Beside a fire extinguisher.

No service since 2105...wow. $40k would be a reasonable price.

22 hours ago, Gas said:

I stand corrected. He did say aircraft engineer. 

With regards to track days, I think the odd track day is not an issue. We’re talking about sports cars aren’t we?

I would rather a buy a car which has seen some track, but with a decent history. Generally people who take their cars on track regularly maintain their cars and have increased their service intervals. Would rather know a car has been driven around enthusiastically with multiple oil changes in a year than one which has been doing shopping runs and hasn't been serviced for almost 2 years. You'll also probably end up with a few extra goodies and spares if you got a car which had been tracked more regularly.

You also have to factor in that any previous owners don't necessarily disclose that they have or have not been to the track. These cars are often 3rd, or 4th owner. How can you be sure any car has never been tracked. Get a good PPI and get the best condition car that fits your budget ;) 

On 8/28/2018 at 9:17 PM, MARTY said:

I see Lorbek have just got one in tip high km’s $39990 looks in fair condition 

Yes that Cab has been sitting at Lorbek's yard for quite a while at a higher price. Saw it through the fence a couple of months ago.

Tons of 996 Cabs for sale on CS - I bet most of the sellers were hoping they will bring the same price as coupes.

4 minutes ago, Zelrik911 said:

Yes that Cab has been sitting at Lorbek's yard for quite a while at a higher price. Saw it through the fence a couple of months ago.

Tons of 996 Cabs for sale on CS - I bet most of the sellers were hoping they will bring the same price as coupes.

The one at lorbeks is a coupe just in this week.

3 hours ago, MARTY said:

The one at lorbeks is a coupe just in this week.

OK yes, now I see the 04 coupe. So he presently has 3 996's on the lot. 

But its the high K.tip cab that he's now asking $40K for,  the other 2 are priced at $70 & $80K which is probably 997 money for the moment.

21 minutes ago, DT said:

What's wrong with this one? If the reserves not far from the starting price (think I remember it being listed on CS for 46k?), seems like a relative bargain, particularly given a lot of new expensive things have been done:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Porsche-911-/202425507799?oid=202416757197

Shows listing has ended.  Sold??

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 12:36 PM, DT said:

Apologies: this is the silver 996 I was referring to, for $32K - NOT the "kareela" one 

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/northmead/cars-vans-utes/1998-porsche-911-coupe-auto-brilliant-condition/1195650872

Good example to watch to see if the tag of "WOVR" will linger!

( Written-off Vehicle Notification:Refer to Jurisdiction, QLD, 30 Mar 2012, Jurisdiction, QLD, 26 Oct 2011, Repairable Write-off) Maybe it went for a swim?

Was sold in 2015 in a Grays auction for about $25K

Edited by Zelrik911
Has the wrong silver car

1 hour ago, Zelrik911 said:

( Written-off Vehicle Notification:Refer to Jurisdiction, QLD, 30 Mar 2012, Jurisdiction, QLD, 26 Oct 2011, Repairable Write-off) Maybe it went for a swim?

Well that explains why it hasn’t sold then!

8 hours ago, Zelrik911 said:

Wow. Really? Guy never mentioned that to me. Had a few conversations but never went down the PPI path or carcheck in the end...

16 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Wow. Really? Guy never mentioned that to me. Had a few conversations but never went down the PPI path or carcheck in the end...

I was under the impression it was a VIC car.

Perhaps this is why it's not advertised on CS any more.

Although when it was, no one picked up on the fact it was on the WOVR.

18 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Apologies: I had the wrong silver 996, this is the one i meant

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/northmead/cars-vans-utes/1998-porsche-911-coupe-auto-brilliant-condition/1195650872

2 hours ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

I was under the impression it was a VIC car.

Perhaps this is why it's not advertised on CS any more.

Although when it was, no one picked up on the fact it was on the WOVR.

Apologies: You are probably correct as I had the wrong silver 996, this is the one i meant

3 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Ah! I think this car was up on carsales for around the 40k mark ages ago. I remember now. It was for sale one VIC and the accident happened in QLD.

There was a silver one for around that amount in Oct - Dec last year.  If we're thinking about the same car, the CS photos had it in an underground car park, but it didn't have all the headlight tinting etc.  I was going to have a look at it, but the car was supposedly at the bodyworks having a couple of things fixed when I was going to be able to look at it.  It was disclosed as being on the RWOVR, but not the level of detail the Gumtree advert has.  Just thinking the detail given doesn;t in the GT add really match that car though...