996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

wowsers, those two went quick, i didn't even see the seal gray one, cept for my email notification.

141k kms at 60k .. wow.. that does bode well for all current 996 owners. 

i didn't even get a chance to perve on the pics :( if anyone has screenshots can they paste them up pls 

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Surprised those two sold so quickly and this one hasn't sold yet, looks like a great example to me, price seems comparatively reasonable and it's negotiable:

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/SSE-AD-5327532/?Cr=1

I think that's been looked at by someone from the forum obviously a good reason its still for sale 

Would be interesting to hear the thoughts of the person who viewed it. 

The only visible issue I see is the very low hanging exhaust tips - means it needs new engine mounts but that's really not a big deal...

Perhaps something more sinister that can't be seen...

57 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

Would be interesting to hear the thoughts of the person who viewed it. 

The only visible issue I see is the very low hanging exhaust tips - means it needs new engine mounts but that's really not a big deal...

Perhaps something more sinister that can't be seen...

Hi Dan,

I've looked at it. There's nothing sinister at all. As a matter of fact, the owner - John is super nice. And refreshingly honest.

It does need a few cosmetic things on the exterior. The interior is in good nick too.

I just don't have the time to chase up all the small bits and bobs it needs so I didn't go to the PPI stage.

It hasn't had its IMS done. But being a 98, it's got the more robust dual row bearing.

Similar question.

This has been on CS for weeks now: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2001/SSE-AD-4219961/?Cr=15

Has anyone inspected it? If so, what are your thoughts.

22 minutes ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

Hi Dan,

I've looked at it. There's nothing sinister at all. As a matter of fact, the owner - John is super nice. And refreshingly honest.

It does need a few cosmetic things on the exterior. The interior is in good nick too.

I just don't have the time to chase up all the small bits and bobs it needs so I didn't go to the PPI stage.

It hasn't had its IMS done. But being a 98, it's got the more robust dual row bearing.

Similar question.

This has been on CS for weeks now: https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2001/SSE-AD-4219961/?Cr=15

It has actually been on (or on and off again) for more like a year

24 minutes ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

Hi Dan,

Similar question.

Good to hear it checked out. 

I wouldn't be too worried with smaller cosmetic things but you're right those things can be time consuming to rectify.

RE IMS - i'd replace it when a clutch is due even if its the dual row - that's my opinion, others may disagree and advise to leave it.

Good to see values are going up. Finally the 996 is being appreciated for the great 911 that it is.

A few for sale, just need to make sure that your PPI comes up pretty clean for a car of it's vintage and go from there.

I think they are the real performance bargain of the Porsche world!

Cheers,

Dave.

4 hours ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

Hi Dan,

Similar question.

On the face of it I'd definitely be keener on a C2 with a few cosmetic issues over C4 that's 4-5k more...that money can go toward fixing the cosmetic issues. If it's generally a good car, which it appears to be and the owner's up front, honest and negotiable I'd say it's def worth getting a PPI. Personally I wouldn't worry about the IMS on a 98...and if it had been replaced the only thing I'd want it replaced with is the IMS Solution. I would however be keen to know the cam deviations, around these k's the variocam pads may need replacement.

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 5:48 PM, red clubbie said:

They hold them around the corner......

Cheers,

Geoff.

Autohaus seem to be the ones to sell through. They are thoroughly honest and professional and include the PPI on most of their consigned cars for peace of mind.

Will be going through them when I eventually vend my '01 Aerokit C2 in the future.

Cheers,

Dave. 

13 minutes ago, disco said:

Autohaus seem to be the ones to sell through. They are thoroughly honest and professional and include the PPI on most of their consigned cars for peace of mind.

Will be going through them when I eventually vend my '01 Aerokit C2 in the future.

Cheers,

Dave. 

Talking to Scott last Wednesday night they're going to tidy up the area just inside the door to enable them to keep a couple of sale cars on display, or bring in the cars for the day that have had demo's booked.  Scott and Anthony are working out of the workshop address now, the area round the corner is purely storage with no signage.  

And second the comment about their professionalism and honesty.  We've purchased both our cars from Scott, and Anthony has some real good industry knowledge (and contacts) that he was able to impart at the Water Cooled night, a great team to work with

22 minutes ago, DT said:

On the face of it I'd definitely be keener on a C2 with a few cosmetic issues over C4 that's 4-5k more...that money can go toward fixing the cosmetic issues. If it's generally a good car, which it appears to be and the owner's up front, honest and negotiable I'd say it's def worth getting a PPI. Personally I wouldn't worry about the IMS on a 98...and if it had been replaced the only thing I'd want it replaced with is the IMS Solution. I would however be keen to know the cam deviations, around these k's the variocam pads may need replacement.

I agree. I just don't have the experience to make a call on whether the paint issues can be fixed without respraying.

What do you guys think when you see resprayed panels?

1 hour ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

I agree. I just don't have the experience to make a call on whether the paint issues can be fixed without respraying.

I'm not overly concerned personally if a panels been repainted as it could only be cosmetic.

I'd be checking body gaps, general alignment and for corrosion over a repainted panel. If you have a good eye you can tell a good job from a bad one and if its a bad one then uaually its got more of a story to tell... A PPI usually reveals most things.

2 hours ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

Agree with Dan, I'd imagine it's a rare 19 year old 911 that hasn't had the odd scrape or ding. Unless the PPI shows that it's had a major hit - unlikely if it's not on the WOVR - personally I wouldn't be too bothered. Unless it's glaringly obvious, address it later. Likelihood is you're going to put the odd chip, ding or scrape on it in the first few months anyway... always happens to me on 'new' cars I'm precious about, never happens on the shitters.

20 minutes ago, iluvbrownale said:

Spoke with Scott. Car sounds tidy. Engine replaced 30,000kms ago by Porsche Sydney.
No IMS.

What’s everyone’s feelings on the fact the engine has been replaced?

Obviously an original matching number (or in the case of P-car original serialised motor) would be more desirable from a collectability point of view. However if it's a correct replacement - i.e ..correct displacement and year series then can't see a huge issue.

Cheers,

Dave.

10 minutes ago, disco said:

Obviously an original matching number (or in the case of P-car original serialised motor) would be more desirable from a collectability point of view. However if it's a correct replacement - i.e ..correct displacement and year series then can't see a huge issue.

Cheers,

Dave.

Agree with @disco.

Everything has it's price. What's the story behind them having to replace the engine?

36 minutes ago, iluvbrownale said:

Spoke with Scott. Car sounds tidy. Engine replaced 30,000kms ago by Porsche Sydney.
No IMS.

What’s everyone’s feelings on the fact the engine has been replaced?

Could look at it either way some would see it as a plus in theory engine should be fine for years to come or on the other hand some could want matching numbers, id be quite happy buying one with a fresh engine.

Agree with [mention=4655]disco[/mention].
Everything has it's price. What's the story behind them having to replace the engine?

Dunno. It seems priced as an original car with IMS and it’s neither. But Autohaus would be a good bet to buy from considering I need to buy sight unseen.

8 minutes ago, iluvbrownale said:

Dunno. It seems priced as an original car with IMS and it’s neither. But Autohaus would be a good bet to buy from considering I need to buy sight unseen.

Autohaus have a reputation to uphold so I am sure the car is more than mechanically sound.

If you're going to drive it like you stole it, and don't mind selling it at a discount relative to similar cars later, @MARTY's advice is very sound.

If you want a numbers matching car that appeals to obsessive compulsives, there will be others. The one @dan_189 was asking about earlier is worth a test drive IMO.

Help me out here fellas. The service history of this car is odd

2005 22kms
9/07 42kms
12/08 51kms new engine
12/09 54kms
12/10 57kms
10/13 67kms
11/14 70kms
12/15 78kms
7/16 80kms
4/18 86kms

So it seems to have gone its first 3 years without a service (is that why there was a new engine?!), then two years without 2005-07 and again 2010-13 no service and even a missing one in 2017. The last 5 were at Autohaus and before that Porsche Sydney.

Am I missing something? Given the new engine at 50kms should I care?

8 hours ago, iluvbrownale said:

Help me out here fellas. The service history of this car is odd

2005 22kms
9/07 42kms
12/08 51kms new engine
12/09 54kms
12/10 57kms
10/13 67kms
11/14 70kms
12/15 78kms
7/16 80kms
4/18 86kms

So it seems to have gone its first 3 years without a service (is that why there was a new engine?!), then two years without 2005-07 and again 2010-13 no service and even a missing one in 2017. The last 5 were at Autohaus and before that Porsche Sydney.

Am I missing something? Given the new engine at 50kms should I care?

Call PCM- is that where it was sold? They can check records by vin or rego of when it has been there. They purge invoices to a certain date but can at least indicate the dates.