996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching prices on 996's for a number of years now and generally researching as my first Porsche purchase.

The reason I've finally decided to pipe up here is I'm finally, maybe, considering, evaluating, exploring the possibility of an actual purchase now.

The question I've got for the wider forum here is: Is the 996 at the bottom of it's price curve now?  It seems to me they haven't really moved, but the Gen 1 997's seem to actually being moving up a bit in the past 12 months (I thought COVID/recession would have been forcing prices down still).

Thanks for any thoughts you can share.

FWIW I'm after a 996.2 Manual Coupe.

If anything I think 996 pricing had bottomed and was already climbing before Covid.  Youtube of late is full of videos espousing the virtues of the previously maligned model, along the lines that if nothing else they are a total bargain (more so with UK values which are quite different to AU).  The general vibe does seem to have changed from "wrong-headlighted misadventure" to "under-appreciated turning point".

Quite contrary to expectations covid also seems to have kicked the price along.  I can sort of see it, folks pulled their money out of shares early in the year and needed somewhere to park it?  Or perhaps just expecting the end of the world and wanting to go out and get that Porsche they always wanted?  Excess money due to cancelled holidays?  Or just low supply with people hanging onto them during uncertain times?  Not sure, but from my limited observation prices seem to have risen?

I sold the Ocean Blue 996 X51 this week and I can tell you that prices have held up well for the last few months - discounting multiple low-ballers and tyre kickers. In fact over the last fortnight I had 4 calls from serious buyers. Can’t speak more highly of the Autohaus service guys who fielded calls from buyers given the car was with AH for over 14 years. 
For context, a not to be mentioned consignment seller suggested (pre-COVID) the market was at a price 29% lower than my eventual sale price (pre commission). At the time I pushed back on that as self-serving for sales volume, and my subjective view was correct. At a macro level, yes people are suffering financially, but we’re talking about a small number of cars, in a big population, and debt is cheap. 

Buy a good one now - picking the bottom of markets is a fools game.

If I was still in the hunt I’d be giving this car a good looking over:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual-my02/SSE-AD-5289757?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-5289757

It has a few k’s but discounted recently, Aus del, IMS done, manual coupe, the best colour combo and I don’t see pricing for cars like this going much lower.

996 is a great choice, one you will never regret, don’t waste time hunting the bottom of the market.

I think they probably bottomed 3-4 years ago, rose a bit, then plateaued for most of the last two years, but like the 997 seem to be rising a little again.

I think they’re very much at the point where, with good reason, values are spread fairly wide between cars that have had work done and cars that you can roll the dice on but will almost certainly need the work done soon. 

I’d suggest finding the former. I bought a car with a perfect history but hadn’t yet faced any of the seemingly inevitable big ticket items, and it’s cost a lot...

Once sorted though you’ll have a smile on your face with every drive. I’m no P car expert but love my 996, never fails to be a fun drive whenever I get to take it out. 

I’d be talking to the vendor of this and hope to talk him down off his high precipice to something in the lower reaches of the 70’s.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2004-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual-my04/SSE-AD-6755979?gts=SSE-AD-6755979&gtssaleid=SSE-AD-6755979&pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-6755979

Looks like a cracker. 

14 minutes ago, CapnHyaku said:

Yes, the KM's I think is bumping up the vendors price expectations.

In fact if I was in the market I’d be all over it, C4S or not.  Great color combo and spec.

*no connection to the vendor.

49 minutes ago, CapnHyaku said:

Yes, the KM's I think is bumping up the vendors price expectations.

Looks mint though and may be worth it,  this would be a pretty good buy I think.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual-my02/SSE-AD-5289757?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-5289757

It won't matter which car you buy, it's a Porsche and you will spend money on it guaranteed. That's the cost of entry, ask anyone on this forum. 

IMO you won't find a better valued 911 than a 996 right now.

10 minutes ago, TINGY996 said:

Really, I think you need to get around a few cars mate, this would be a pretty good buy I think.

It won't matter which car you buy, it's a Porsche and you will spend money on it guaranteed. That's the cost of entry, ask anyone on this forum. 

IMO you won't find a better valued 911 than a 996 right now.

Agreed, if I was in the market the pricing is right, but for me, colour would be wrong, I'd be waiting for a non-black car

2 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Agreed, if I was in the market the pricing is right, but for me, colour would be wrong, I'd be waiting for a non-black car

I don't know if I'd have bought mine if it wasn't black. Couldn't take my eyes off it when I first saw it in person. The photos of it didn't really get the loins stirring.

If you haven't seen one in person, you really need to. I seriously can't capture in a photo how good it looks. Sexy, sexy, sexy!!

The whole "hard to keep clean" thing doesn't phase me as when I start driving, all the dust gets blown off .. 😅

If you have seen one in person and still don't like it, then disregard the above comments ... :Chuckle2:

I love my 996 It makes me smile when I walk past it and absolutely love the drive and especially the fried egg part / yellow side lenses when they came out in ‘98 to me it was like wow I never got the hate for the 996 yes some of the colour and trim combo’s aged poorly quickly but such a great drive and part of the 911 evolution I agree they have snuck up in the last 12/18 months what was 30-40 is now 50-60 and every C4S seems to sell so quick interesting it felt like the 997 was pushing 996 pricing down and now it feels like 996 pricing is pushing 997 values up. Good Klm and spec 996’s have to be still good value and what can you buy that is so good that will unlikely drop in value with the chance of rising a bonus.

Cheers

Paul

4 minutes ago, JWM said:

All this 996 love truly warms the heart. Or it might be this scotch I poured waiting for F1 qualifying to start...but probably the 996 love... 😂

Definitely the Scotch! .. you couldn’t be feeling too much 996 love after your recent woes ... so, yep .. the scotch 😅

2 hours ago, Dreamr said:

Definitely the Scotch! .. you couldn’t be feeling too much 996 love after your recent woes ... so, yep .. the scotch 😅

Yeah don’t get me wrong, I hate my specific car and want to set fire to it when I see it next...but I still have some general 996 love 😂...

I am loving my recently purchased Basalt Black 996 Cabriolet Manual, coming from a Bmw M2 i was worried i was making a mistake buying such an old car, yes it has rattles, no modern technology and is a pain to keep clean but roof down and the factory sports exhaust on it brings a smile to my face every time i drive it, the sound is incredible. 

For those unsure whether or not to take the plunge on a 996 i say do it...they are a lot of fun.