996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

Well to me, this is just about perfect! 

Check out the interior!! Great video walk around too. Sadly way out of my budget 😭

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-carrera-996-auto-my02/SSE-AD-6893854?gts=SSE-AD-6893854&gtssaleid=SSE-AD-6893854&pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-6893854

2 hours ago, chalon said:

I've been contemplating selling my 996.1 Cabriolet due to the keen market at moment and reduce the mortgage.

Don't shoot the messenger ...

The hot market seems to be more for 996.2 models and manual coupes .. 996.1's tend to sit longer and convertibles also seem to sit. Autos sit longer again.

It's the same in almost all eras of 911 .. convertibles are for leisure while the drivers want the coupes ...

Refer to the first line of my post!! ... 😅

The $30k - $50k you'll get probably won't put much of a dent in the mortgage so why bother ... you have it, you love it, so just enjoy it! ... there's plenty of time to pay the banks back .. many on here have much higher valued cars and still have a mortgage .. it's all about balance.

7 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Check out the interior!! Great video walk around too. Sadly way out of my budget 😭

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-carrera-996-auto-my02/SSE-AD-6893854?gts=SSE-AD-6893854&gtssaleid=SSE-AD-6893854&pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-6893854

Probably depends whether the extra's are worth an extra $20k over what the car would otherwise probably be worth......

I do wonder why they did it to a Tip rather than a manual????

2 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Probably depends whether the extra's are worth an extra $20k over what the car would otherwise probably be worth......

I do wonder why they did it to a Tip rather than a manual????

Agreed Pete

I thought straight away its probably $15-20k overpriced for a tip, yet it's pretty bloody close to being exactly how I'd do a 996. Maybe fitting a cup car wing is all I would change.

30 minutes ago, LeeM said:

agreed LeeM, what a cracker.  Not sure if i'd keep the ducktail but the rest is cool.

22 minutes ago, LeeM said:

With my forum name as LeeM? 😁

No worries Barry, all good 😉

Leem Christy Bazza whatever ... The pasha is a bold statement the seats look horn but tartan maybe a better look. Am a fan of the 18 fuchs on that and the Carrera script oddly works better than I'd ever have thunk. 20k off would be nice so offer him 50k like everyone else will be Lee and press him for low 50's

Just now, Troubleshooter said:

Leem Christy Bazza whatever ... The pasha is a bold statement the seats look horn but tartan maybe a better look. Am a fan of the 18 fuchs on that and the Carrera script oddly works better than I'd ever have thunk. 20k off would be nice so offer him 50k like everyone else will be Lee and press him for low 50's

If thats where it was at (and I had the readies) I'd already have called him mate. 

Reckon he'd be at $70k minimum now, or $65k after a month or so

3 minutes ago, LeeM said:

If thats where it was at (and I had the readies) I'd already have called him mate. 

Reckon he'd be at $70k minimum now, or $65k after a month or so

Yeah I agree Lee, usually takes a few months of sitting and shit offers to get towards reality

3 hours ago, chalon said:

Just wondering what you guys think a car like this is worth in the current market?

TLDR: You can get $50K for it without being too patient.

Pretty much what @Dreamr said.  I was looking for about 3 years before my first purchase about 3 weeks ago now.  I was dead set on a 996.2 Man Coupe and I am certain I am not alone based on what the "weekly summary" emails from CarSales. The emails tell you how many people also saved the same cars as you (maximum 3 cars in that weekly email, you can save 4, but they only tell you about 3 of them).

I saved and watched every 996 during that time and came to following conclusions:

1. 996 GTx is entering a phase where they can only be obtained by the well-heeled.  Turbo is still relatively affordable and should be nabbed up as investment now if you can.

2. 996.2 C4/S is hot stuff right now. I think people really like the rear reflector and the turbo body kit, without the turbo price tag.

3. 996's are starting to increase in price overall however during 2020, aided I think by the Hoovie's and Doug's of the world lauding how affordable they are as a "real" Porsche.  Which ironically starts to positively impact their value.

4. 996.2 is worth $10K more than 996.1.

5. Coupe has a 20% premium over Cab

6. Manual has a 20% premium over Tip.

8. Having the IMS already proper sorted gets you $5K-10K premium depending on the solution and who did it.

9. KM's and condition and service history adjust the price like any other car.

So... IMHO

Your car would be worth 60K as a 996.2.

Your car would only fetch 40K as a Tiptronic.

Your car would only fetch 45K if it had no IMS done.

Your car might fetch another 5K if you had the LN oil-fed solution.

Longer term... I expect the 996.1 with the clear lenses will start to catch up to the 996.2.  996.1 will be recognised as "the car that saved Porsche" and a classic of historical significance.

GOOD LUCK!

17 minutes ago, JWM said:

If it helps, I got offered $60k for mine unseen (just on the basis it was a clean manual 6.1 coupe with IMS done) a couple weeks ago. 

That's a solid offer! ... with the way you were feeling about it a couple of weeks ago, I'm surprised you didn't jump at it ... 😅

2 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

That's a solid offer! ... with the way you were feeling about it a couple of weeks ago, I'm surprised you didn't jump at it ... 😅

It was from a well known buyer/seller on consignment so I’d lose a chunk of that. If it was a case of walking away with $60k in my pocket I think I would have!!!

2 hours ago, Dreamr said:

It’s really not like me to say it either ... but you should buy it! .. :Chuckle2:

You're not helping mate 🙄😉

2 hours ago, JWM said:

If it helps, I got offered $60k for mine unseen (just on the basis it was a clean manual 6.1 coupe with IMS done) a couple weeks ago. 

You're not helping either! 😁

5 hours ago, CapnHyaku said:

TLDR: You can get $50K for it without being too patient.

Pretty much what @Dreamr said.  I was looking for about 3 years before my first purchase about 3 weeks ago now.  I was dead set on a 996.2 Man Coupe and I am certain I am not alone based on what the "weekly summary" emails from CarSales. The emails tell you how many people also saved the same cars as you (maximum 3 cars in that weekly email, you can save 4, but they only tell you about 3 of them).

I saved and watched every 996 during that time and came to following conclusions:

1. 996 GTx is entering a phase where they can only be obtained by the well-heeled.  Turbo is still relatively affordable and should be nabbed up as investment now if you can.

2. 996.2 C4/S is hot stuff right now. I think people really like the rear reflector and the turbo body kit, without the turbo price tag.

3. 996's are starting to increase in price overall however during 2020, aided I think by the Hoovie's and Doug's of the world lauding how affordable they are as a "real" Porsche.  Which ironically starts to positively impact their value.

4. 996.2 is worth $10K more than 996.1.

5. Coupe has a 20% premium over Cab

6. Manual has a 20% premium over Tip.

8. Having the IMS already proper sorted gets you $5K-10K premium depending on the solution and who did it.

9. KM's and condition and service history adjust the price like any other car.

So... IMHO

Your car would be worth 60K as a 996.2.

Your car would only fetch 40K as a Tiptronic.

Your car would only fetch 45K if it had no IMS done.

Your car might fetch another 5K if you had the LN oil-fed solution.

Longer term... I expect the 996.1 with the clear lenses will start to catch up to the 996.2.  996.1 will be recognised as "the car that saved Porsche" and a classic of historical significance.

GOOD LUCK!

Thanks for the fantastic and well researched opinion.  Exactly what I was after.

Still not set on selling it yet but doing my due diligence in the event I do decide to sell it.

Thanks everyone who has shared their opinions.  Keep them coming!