Jump to content
MARTY

996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, CapnHyaku said:

TLDR: You can get $50K for it without being too patient.

Pretty much what @Dreamr said.  I was looking for about 3 years before my first purchase about 3 weeks ago now.  I was dead set on a 996.2 Man Coupe and I am certain I am not alone based on what the "weekly summary" emails from CarSales. The emails tell you how many people also saved the same cars as you (maximum 3 cars in that weekly email, you can save 4, but they only tell you about 3 of them).

I saved and watched every 996 during that time and came to following conclusions:

1. 996 GTx is entering a phase where they can only be obtained by the well-heeled.  Turbo is still relatively affordable and should be nabbed up as investment now if you can.

2. 996.2 C4/S is hot stuff right now. I think people really like the rear reflector and the turbo body kit, without the turbo price tag.

3. 996's are starting to increase in price overall however during 2020, aided I think by the Hoovie's and Doug's of the world lauding how affordable they are as a "real" Porsche.  Which ironically starts to positively impact their value.

4. 996.2 is worth $10K more than 996.1.

5. Coupe has a 20% premium over Cab

6. Manual has a 20% premium over Tip.

8. Having the IMS already proper sorted gets you $5K-10K premium depending on the solution and who did it.

9. KM's and condition and service history adjust the price like any other car.

So... IMHO

Your car would be worth 60K as a 996.2.

Your car would only fetch 40K as a Tiptronic.

Your car would only fetch 45K if it had no IMS done.

Your car might fetch another 5K if you had the LN oil-fed solution.

 

Longer term... I expect the 996.1 with the clear lenses will start to catch up to the 996.2.  996.1 will be recognised as "the car that saved Porsche" and a classic of historical significance.

 

GOOD LUCK!

 

 

Thanks for the fantastic and well researched opinion.  Exactly what I was after.

 

Still not set on selling it yet but doing my due diligence in the event I do decide to sell it.

 

Thanks everyone who has shared their opinions.  Keep them coming!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, chalon said:

Still not set on selling it yet

Might just add, with a recession and lockdown ending and XMAS... bad time to try and sell luxury discretionary items.  Maybe wait till next year if you want to maximise your sale price.

And yes... I know we don't consider a Porsche "discretionary" but most Minister's for Finance do! 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CapnHyaku said:

Might just add, with a recession and lockdown ending and XMAS... bad time to try and sell luxury discretionary items.  Maybe wait till next year if you want to maximise your sale price.

And yes... I know we don't consider a Porsche "discretionary" but most Minister's for Finance do! 😄

Now is an incredible time to be selling 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, CapnHyaku said:

Might just add, with a recession and lockdown ending and XMAS... bad time to try and sell luxury discretionary items.  Maybe wait till next year if you want to maximise your sale price.

And yes... I know we don't consider a Porsche "discretionary" but most Minister's for Finance do! 😄

I would also have to disagree a little as well ...

If I was selling I would be getting my advert up ASAP! ..  and I mean ASAP!

I don't think I've seen such a sellers market for quite a long time ... doesn't mean that all asking prices will be achieved, but if one is sensible, priced right and has the right car, right now is the time to list.

There is so much money floating around at the moment it's incredible! ... and that includes all aspects .. cars, real estate, home reno's,  household goods, etc, etc ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe right right now now... maybe.

However I think with the lockdowns easing money will start to get spent on holidays especially around the December period tie in with visits to family for XMAS.

At work we are already seeing the effect of the buying lead up to XMAS right on cue in November like nothing as changed in 2020 to previous years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, CapnHyaku said:

Maybe right right now now... maybe.

However I think with the lockdowns easing money will start to get spent on holidays especially around the December period tie in with visits to family for XMAS.

At work we are already seeing the effect of the buying lead up to XMAS right on cue in November like nothing as changed in 2020 to previous years.

Agreed ... and that's why I thought to list ASAP ...

I think the best window of opportunity has started to close and was at its peak 1 - 2 months ago ...

This year has thrown us many surprises and curveballs .. it'll be interesting to see how it ends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

Agreed ... and that's why I thought to list ASAP ...

I think the best window of opportunity has started to close and was at its peak 1 - 2 months ago ...

This year has thrown us many surprises and curveballs .. it'll be interesting to see how it ends.

I tend to agree with listing ASAP if you want to sell, I think a large part of the increase in value lately is home owners who still have a job/business functioning through COVID and have been feeling the wealth effect of interest rates coming down. The big question is how much does the government have left in the clip..

Saying that, money is so cheap right now that if you have access to credit there has never been a better time to own cars which aren't depreciating (even if they dip I'm sure they'll inflate back up in a couple of years).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep... prob best time to sell.

Really sad to send this back to CTS but I can’t knock back another investment opportunity, so the C4S had to go 😔

Was sad driving all the way there yesterday. Just a beautifully sorted car.

Dave.

4D8A2974-5AA0-4715-91F9-938C22E795E1.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CapnHyaku said:

Might just add, with a recession and lockdown ending and XMAS... bad time to try and sell luxury discretionary items.

 

Not sure what market you follow, but in my world Adelaide houses are selling 20-30% over asking price, 996's are up 20%  , the ASX had it's best day in years and there are slender picking on the GT cars Australia wide.

What recession?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Shedpest said:

Not sure what market you follow

My statement is in relation to an owner considering selling a 996.1 Cab manual.  GT's are in their own orbit; I suspect the people that can afford a GTx are all "lol, what recession!?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, LeeM said:

 Well to me, this is just about perfect! 

 Check out the interior!! Great video walk around too. Sadly way out of my budget 😭

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-carrera-996-auto-my02/SSE-AD-6893854?gts=SSE-AD-6893854&gtssaleid=SSE-AD-6893854&pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-6893854

That car looks fantastic!  I love the pasha interior, I have a childhood memory of a 928 brochure with those seats and it still resonates with me.  Only change I'd make would be the painting of the fuchs where I think they look a lot better with the petals silver rather than black.  Maybe the rear spoiler as well, it making the entire engine cover black doesn't work for me.  But yeah, nice visuals but a tip seems to appeal to a different market than the styling mods.  Lovely though, and very low km.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Shedpest said:

What recession?

LOL I literally was typing my reply and you edited to add that comment.  I'm not being disingenuous, I genuinely find that hilarious. 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CapnHyaku said:

GT's are in their own orbit; I suspect the people that can afford a GTx are all "lol, what recession!?"

 

Not exactly, there is a point of resistance on early GT cars, anything near or over $200k, people baulk... that is why keenly priced, good examples of either 996/997 priced under this will move if the sellers are realistic, look at anything over that number, they sit... plenty of fisherman on both the buyer & seller camps right now. 

Some thoughts, having just bought & sold, I don't think GT cars are in a boom, prices are flat if anything, but there is certainly good market activity... I'd say we're just below the peak prices of 2016 for non RS GT's (a lot less for RS), the 996 Carrera market in general, seems to be strong and buoyed by the good sentiment in GT cars, a lack of good stock will continue to be a trend, so good cars will continue to command premium.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, edgy said:

Not exactly, there is a point of resistance on early GT cars, anything near or over $200k, people baulk

Sorry, I know what you mean.  What I am really getting at is that 996 market that sits under $100K.  I am not saying GT owners are out of touch or similar. 🙂

The 996 non-turbo/GT market sits well under $100K still, the C4S is something else though right now.  Everything else is about $40K more expensive which (including like for like 996 to 997) does carve the demographics a bit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shedpest said:

Not sure what market you follow, but in my world Adelaide houses are selling 20-30% over asking price, 996's are up 20%  , the ASX had it's best day in years and there are slender picking on the GT cars Australia wide.

What recession?

Dead cat bounce maybe? Hopefully not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, disco said:

Yep... prob best time to sell.

Really sad to send this back to CTS but I can’t knock back another investment opportunity, so the C4S had to go 😔

Was sad driving all the way there yesterday. Just a beautifully sorted car.

Dave.

4D8A2974-5AA0-4715-91F9-938C22E795E1.jpeg

do you have a photo of the interior?

The downward price slide begins

 

2002 Porsche 911 Carrera 996 Auto MY02
 
b1h3mexj7qwfwrptofaqg2fq0.jpg?aspect=cen

 

Kilometres Body $69,996 *
68,600km Coupe
 
Transmission Engine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey team,

Long time lurker turning into wanting to own.  Keen to find a clean early 996.  To get a sense of what I am trying to find, my ideal result it is an ocean jade base model manual with the original fried egg look but I would definitely consider clean and original over any specific spec.

Is there anything out there?

Cheers,

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, McLovin said:

Hey team,

Long time lurker turning into wanting to own.  Keen to find a clean early 996.  To get a sense of what I am trying to find, my ideal result it is an ocean jade base model manual with the original fried egg look but I would definitely consider clean and original over any specific spec.

Is there anything out there?

Cheers,

 

Ocean Jade… Can’t imagine they’re too many in that  very distinctive colour... 
 

Surely you must’ve seen the ocean Jade early 996, that was up near cans for sale a couple of months ago. Precisely what you’re asking for

 

surely you must’ve seen the ocean Jade early 996, that was up near cans for sale a couple of months ago. Precisely what you’re asking for

Good luck with the looking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, michel said:

Ocean Jade… Can’t imagine they’re too many in that  very distinctive colour... 
 

Surely you must’ve seen the ocean Jade early 996, that was up near cans for sale a couple of months ago. Precisely what you’re asking for

 

surely you must’ve seen the ocean Jade early 996, that was up near cans for sale a couple of months ago. Precisely what you’re asking for

Good luck with the looking

Yes, that was owned by an ex pilot in Cairns. The car was bought by Alex, who is a dealer in Sydney

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCLOegglO4w/?igshid=10lq2n9xji3ah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JWM said:

So who’s going to be first to tell @LeeM to buy this? 😁

 @LeeM might tell him

Though I'm told its well over his budget at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DT said:

What is it with w@n#e&s putting GT3 badges on Carrera's?? It doesn't matter if it has more power and a body kit. It is not a GT3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MFX said:

What is it with w@n#e&s putting GT3 badges on Carrera's?? It doesn't matter if it has more power and a body kit. It is not a GT3.

I would do a custom badge that says "GT?" on a car like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

PFA [Porsche Forum Australia]

This is an online platform for like-minded Porsche fans/fanatics/tragics to come together to read, chat and share.

It is also a platform to arrange and participate in off-line social meet-ups, events and drives.

×
×
  • Create New...