MARTY

996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

Price just dropped on this. Looks like a good buy to me. UK car but some big dollars spent: 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1998-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual/SSE-AD-6920675?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-6920675

3 minutes ago, Pokiou said:

Do we want the prices of 996's to go up or not?

Ideally they‘d go up when I want to sell and down when I want to buy.

52 minutes ago, Pokiou said:

Do we want the prices of 996's to go up or not?

Depends what side of the 996 fence you're sitting on ...

If you're buying ... then hope and pray they fall.

If your selling or you own one ... then hope and pray for another air cooled scenario ... 😎

If they keep going up they’ll lose their value proposition and no one will drive them. More Porsches on the road and track, not garage queens 

16 hours ago, edgy said:

There was a few real buckets of shit getting around at that price you're right... but for comparison sake there was a lovely dark metallic green manual cab at AH for sale at a similar time in the mid 40's. I really dug that car.

Yeh that thing was super cool, RMS and IMS done as well as a gearbox rebuild.

Was booked to go down there on the day it sold to someone in Melbourne. Snooze you lose 😢

21 minutes ago, JLD said:

If they keep going up they’ll lose their value proposition and no one will drive them. More Porsches on the road and track, not garage queens 

I've got my sign already made for the 'Free the Porsche' picket line.

9 hours ago, Dreamr said:

Depends what side of the 996 fence you're sitting on ...

If you're buying ... then hope and pray they fall.

If your selling or you own one ... then hope and pray for another air cooled scenario ... 😎

until we see wholesale broad acre forward date / hodge podge /  inner urban outlaw malarkey wrought upon these most maligned of gods creatures , will I think we cognoscenti sniff the merest bouquet of buble proportioned hysteria. 

19 minutes ago, michel said:

until we see wholesale broad acre forward date / hodge podge /  inner urban outlaw malarkey wrought upon these most maligned of gods creatures , will I think we cognoscenti sniff the merest bouquet of buble proportioned hysteria. 

Que`? Can you loosely translate please?

Just drive 'em people, get out and enjoy in all weather, they are the perfect car for that. Even in the stinking heat today with that wonderful A/C, how good are they? In the rain (Wah, Wah Wah) it's wet i might get a bit of road grime under it, please.

Worried about values, keep up the maintenance and you probably won't have too many issues if it's all up to date, what do we all look for at re-sale? Maintenance. I don't understand people buying these cars with the low km's either then not driving the car to keep the low km's, how is that enjoyment?

27 minutes ago, TINGY996 said:

Just drive 'em people, get out and enjoy in all weather, they are the perfect car for that.

Crazy talk. We all know it's about the investment... ;)

1 hour ago, michel said:

images-jpeg-31.jpg

1 hour ago, TINGY996 said:

Just drive 'em people, get out and enjoy in all weather, they are the perfect car for that. Even in the stinking heat today with that wonderful A/C, how good are they? In the rain (Wah, Wah Wah) it's wet i might get a bit of road grime under it, please.

Worried about values, keep up the maintenance and you probably won't have too many issues if it's all up to date, what do we all look for at re-sale? Maintenance. I don't understand people buying these cars with the low km's either then not driving the car to keep the low km's, how is that enjoyment?

That's one perspective ... and I encourage you to enjoy.

There are other perspectives ...

I bought mine as an investment. I enjoy looking at it in the garage, I enjoy driving it on occasion and I will enjoy keeping the value intact as it is part of my superannuation ...

I don't drive it in the wet, and I don't want the road grime. I worry about the other idiots in the wet.

Yet I still enjoy my car as much as all of you ... it may be a different enjoyment that others but it works for me.

Drive it or don't drive it .. I don't worry about what others are doing with and how they use their cars, and it amazes me that thete are some out there that  care about what I do with mine ..

16 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

Drive it or don't drive it .. I don't worry about what others are doing with and how they use their cars, and it amazes me that thete are some out there that  care about what I do with mine ..

This is not directed at you personally Ronny. 

This is just a general comment and my thoughts, i certainly don't worry about what people do with their cars, it's their decision, i really couldn't care less.

9 minutes ago, TINGY996 said:

This is not directed at you personally Ronny. 

This is just a general comment and my thoughts, i certainly don't worry about what people do with their cars, it's their decision, i really couldn't care less.

I didn't take it personally in any way .. and I never felt it was directed towards me ... we can still be friends!! (lucky you) ..

I am on a few different pages of cars and the consensus is always the same .. why don't people drive their cars .. why own them if they are just going to sit in the garage? .. it just amazes me that so many people worry about what others choose to do with their things.

It like the spare parts scene ... everyone has a perceived value on parts and when someone advertises it more than they think it's worth, the barage begins ... it's simple .. don't buy it! ... 

11 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

I.

It like the spare parts scene ... everyone has a perceived value on parts and when someone advertises it more than they think it's worth, the barage begins ... it's simple .. don't buy it! ... 

I’d hate to be that fella who buys a spare and never uses it .. 

lost  count of how many sets of wheels I got 

Ownership reasons varies considerably from daily driver to investment and everything in-between. Underlying is a love for Porsche so all good. 

I'm a little of both but honestly end value ends up being irrelevant for me. Main driver for my purchase was the loss of my wife to cancer. We had talked about getting in an A/C in the garage one day... Bought mine just over 3 1/2 years ago. Probably at the peak of prices, but I decided if I can do something either physically or financially now I would as you don't know what tomorrow will bring!

I don't daily and avoid junk miles, making sure it's a great drive out through the hills. Was going to make a week in Tassie a yearly drive but this year put an end to that idea for the moment...

I don't plan on ever selling but if I do, having been its custodian is far more valuable than any loss of dollars. Reality with the move from the ICE and many younger people not interested in cars, we may not be able to give away our cars in a decade or two!

Definitely see a 996 in my future!

7 minutes ago, michel said:

I’d hate to be that fella who buys a spare and never uses it .. 

lost  count of how many sets of wheels I got 

Thats just called hoarding mate 😁 

( Got any 3 piece Fuchs in 7's and 8/9's? Asking for a friend 😉)

2 hours ago, TINGY996 said:

Que`? Can you loosely translate please?

when I see a proliferation of gaily modded 996’s bedecked and tricked out with spoilers lips skirts  and not correct badge appellations , GT3 graphics  amongst other absurdities; will my words have a deeper resonance 

Until then , I refuse to be drawn any further into this discussion

8 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Thats just called hoarding mate 😁 

( Got any 3 piece Fuchs in 7's and 8/9's? Asking for a friend 😉)

No 3 piece,  though thought there was a set being discussed a few days ago 

gor a nice set of BBS 

Bravo @Dalai 👍

18 minutes ago, michel said:

when I see a proliferation of gaily modded 996’s bedecked and tricked out with spoilers lips skirts  and not correct badge appellations , GT3 graphics  amongst other absurdities; will my words have a deeper resonance 

Until then , I refuse to be drawn any further into this discussion

No 3 piece,  though thought there was a set being discussed a few days ago 

gor a nice set of BBS 

Pass on the BBS thanks mate

That was my post about the 3 piece Fuchs 👍

54 minutes ago, Dalai said:

Definitely see a 996 in my future!

I may have just the car for you in a year or so when I can finally move overseas😀😀

I don't think Lee will commit 😂😂😂

14 minutes ago, st3ve said:

... and still had to borrow mine!  :P

I’m still debating how bankable used 996 parts can be ... 

2 minutes ago, michel said:

I’m still debating how bankable used 996 parts can be ... 

If you can source a nice black leather dash it would be "bankable" to me!! 

16 minutes ago, PhilH said:

If you can source a nice black leather dash it would be "bankable" to me!! 

Whole dash or just the cluster surround?  I recently bought a cluster surround on ebay uk for 80 quid.

20 minutes ago, PhilH said:

I may have just the car for you in a year or so when I can finally move overseas😀😀

Definitely please let me know first. Currently owning one of your old cars I know how well looked after and well sorted it will be!

On 27/11/2020 at 01:59, amanda said:

I looked at and drove Taffy's  car jellybean last year when he had it for sale. So have seen Ocean Jade in the metal and i LOVED it. I wanted to buy his car but I just couldnt get the green light at home at the time.

Its one of those colors that was frowned upon maybe 10 years ago but in recent years has made a comeback in new cars. Toyotas etc have their version of jade again so I think thats helped people love this color again.   There was a 986 auto that sold in a flash that was ocean jade maybe 3 weeks ago.

------------

I've been watching 996s on CS and had a saved search for probably 18 months.  I have 2 cars in my search that look ok on the site but have been on it a LONG TIME... and subsequently have gone from 42k to 50k

Has anyone contacted the seller or have any info on these cars?  Figured I would ask here before actually enquiring with the sellers...

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1998-porsche-911-carrera-cabriolet-996-manual/SSE-AD-5864212/?Cr=11

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1999-porsche-911-carrera-4-cabriolet-996-manual-awd/SSE-AD-5947147/?Cr=8

And I have a major crush on this...

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1998-porsche-911-carrera-cabriolet-996-auto/OAG-AD-19322186/?Cr=9

996cab.JPG

Is this the jade green Boxster that you mentioned? It used to be parked next to my house but can't find it at its spot anymore.

IMG_20200803_115324.jpg