996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

6 minutes ago, Jason E said:

Hello 996 Glitterati,

I recall hearing time & again that Targa's are somewhat problematic.  Right or wrong?  as this looks nice - 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-996-auto-my03/SSE-AD-6687690/?Cr=10

Capture.PNG.027c9f00111a31d641fda7938c95f8e7.PNG

Capture.PNG

Unfortunately you heard correctly .. a lot of folk won’t touch them as it’s not worth the potential future trouble .. 😢

18 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

Unfortunately you heard correctly .. a lot of folk won’t touch them as it’s not worth the potential future trouble .. 😢

Apparently the roof moves and squeaks and then leaks. Very expensive repair

13 hours ago, Jason E said:

Hello 996 Glitterati,

I recall hearing time & again that Targa's are somewhat problematic.  Right or wrong?  as this looks nice - 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-996-auto-my03/SSE-AD-6687690/?Cr=10

Capture.PNG.027c9f00111a31d641fda7938c95f8e7.PNG

Capture.PNG

called character… Hands up who owns any generation of Targa, that does not leak

I think it was on 911UK forum where I read a bit of a thread on the 996/7 targa and its issues.  (No idea why, I don't own one and pretty sure I never will)  If I can recall and summarise, it's common that the roof operates slowly and that in itself should not be a cause for alarm.  Problems intensified when people greased the cables thinking they needed it, it does indeed briefly increase the speed of operation, but then attracts dirt and debris which dances merry hell with the mechanism.  Once the mech is shot it's an eye-wateringly expensive repair.  If the roof is in good order, maintained and kept clean, they are apparently pretty reliable.

On 06/12/2020 at 11:56, st3ve said:

I think it was on 911UK forum where I read a bit of a thread on the 996/7 targa and its issues.  (No idea why, I don't own one and pretty sure I never will)  If I can recall and summarise, it's common that the roof operates slowly and that in itself should not be a cause for alarm.  Problems intensified when people greased the cables thinking they needed it, it does indeed briefly increase the speed of operation, but then attracts dirt and debris which dances merry hell with the mechanism.  Once the mech is shot it's an eye-wateringly expensive repair.  If the roof is in good order, maintained and kept clean, they are apparently pretty reliable.

Just imagine the shenanigans with a 991 targa folding origami thing when they pass their warranty date. Might as well weld them shut now. 

16 minutes ago, Proud Member said:

Just imagine the shenanigans with a 991 targa folding origami thing when they pass their warranty date. Might as well weld them shut now. 

This is an interesting point.  I had a 2006 Mazda MX5 with the folding hardtop.  It was about 8 years old when I bought it.  Had it for a couple of years.  Roof worked flawlessly.  I suppose the fix on a Porsche folding roof outside of warranty would buy you 2 Mazdas these days.   

14 minutes ago, Avon said:

RHD - but was sold by from a dealer in California and USA country code on the sticker (C02)?  

Edit:  Ah the windscreen VIN does not match the one in the sticker in the book... 

Wrong books, No match on the car.

34 minutes ago, tomo said:

Is that the car with the rebuilt motor and suspension goodys?

Don’t recall that, I think it was all standard except those wheels had been painted. 

53 minutes ago, crsedge said:

Top dollar if the seller got anywhere near that price :)

Agreed!