996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

1 hour ago, Fishcop said:

I saw this behaviour regularly while I was watching for a few years. I think they are sliding down to tickle interest and then failing that returning to the previous point to get any new "players" in the game.

Anyone like myself and yourself that has saved it and watched it but not bought it when they dropped the price are no longer marks for a sale.  The seller doesn't care that we know how low the price could be, as we obviously are not going to buy it and outside of the this forum have no means to convey that pricing information to any new players.

I still don't understand the crazy C4S pricing. Why pay Turbo money for a Carrera just because it looks a bit like a Turbo? The Turbo is a better car in every measure without IMS issues or any of that. Just buy a Turbo?

^^^^^ Agree, completely overated, at least the Turbo's have a Mezger.

This may be a Tip, but better bang-for-buck IMOHO, plus it's been for sale for 2 years and must be ready to just quit it.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-turbo-996-auto-awd-my03/SSE-AD-2128856/?Cr=0

Glad it's not just me confused...

I've just started thinking about a 996 and have been drawn to the C4S only because I love the wide body and unique red reflector across the rear lid - I'm conscious it's likely no better a driver than a C2 (and likely slightly more expensive to maintain) but have accepted it's a 'premium' over the standard model.  For the first time ever I'm contemplating a tip trans (or even a rag-top) if the car is an overall better prospect than an equivalent manual.  But the difference in the jump from a C2S to a Turbo is minimal, making me think I should just keep saving...

48 minutes ago, CapnHyaku said:

I saw this behaviour regularly while I was watching for a few years. I think they are sliding down to tickle interest and then failing that returning to the previous point to get any new "players" in the game.

Anyone like myself and yourself that has saved it and watched it but not bought it when they dropped the price are no longer marks for a sale.  The seller doesn't care that we know how low the price could be, as we obviously are not going to buy it and outside of the this forum have no means to convey that pricing information to any new players.

That makes a lot of sense - I've seen dealers swap stock with each other for similar reasons (and I guess I've done it once or twice with houses when the market has been odd).  Just seems a strange game when trying to sell a car privately.

1 hour ago, MFX said:

I still don't understand the crazy C4S pricing. Why pay Turbo money for a Carrera just because it looks a bit like a Turbo? The Turbo is a better car in every measure without IMS issues or any of that. Just buy a Turbo?

Factory turbo look 3.2’s command a premium ... so the man logic goes... 

I remember when this Turbo was for sale in Adelaide for 130K and nearly convinced myself that I needed it, than it disappeared and ended up in NSW with another 30K on it, go figure??

And 2 years down track it still hasn't sold.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2003-porsche-911-turbo-996-manual-awd-my04/SSE-AD-6136688/?Cr=10

1 hour ago, Shedpest said:

This may be a Tip, but better bang-for-buck IMOHO, plus it's been for sale for 2 years and must be ready to just quit it.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-turbo-996-auto-awd-my03/SSE-AD-2128856/?Cr=0

Agree @ 90k how could you go wrong ?

If all checks out - Tune + exhaust = monster.

2 hours ago, MFX said:

I think the same as you mate. I went through this process when I was buying my 996.2, ok you get a fat arse which looks great and I get that. I don't understand why the 996 4S didn't get a power upgrade. Paying $20-$30k more for a fat arse, bigger brakes and a stiffer chassis, why not do a power upgrade. If you want a big bag of fruit, buy a 997 4S, if you want a Mango and a Peach, buy a 996 4S.

Now before all the 996 4S owners howl me down, this is just my opinion, sorry. 

1 hour ago, michel said:

Factory turbo look 3.2’s

HUH?

2 hours ago, MFX said:

You aren't comparing apples with apples ..

An auto anything is always cheaper than it's manual equivalent.

A manual C4S is in the vicinity of $85k - $90k where a manual Turbo is $120k +. That's a $30k + difference in cars .. 

25 minutes ago, TINGY996 said:

I think the same as you mate. I went through this process when I was buying my 996.2, ok you get a fat arse which looks great and I get that. I don't understand why the 996 4S didn't get a power upgrade. Paying $20-$30k more for a fat arse, bigger brakes and a stiffer chassis, why not do a power upgrade. If you want a big bag of fruit, buy a 997 4S, if you want a Mango and a Peach, buy a 996 4S.

HUH?

You’re lucky it’s a free country.

29 minutes ago, TINGY996 said:

That's like asking .. why pay more for a '73 model RS when the '74 had the exact same engine .. was an impact bumper but so what .. why pay more for a Carrera 3.0 when the SC had a bigger motor.

Limited sale models will always command a premium .. regardless what that happens to be.

3 hours ago, MFX said:

Don’t disagree however an Aus delivered 996 turbo is another 60-70k! May as well step into a 997.1 for a smidge more.

16 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

The 3.2 came with a option of the Turbo look ... M491 option.

We are talking about the 996.2 which is a 3.6..........

19 minutes ago, KGB said:

You’re lucky it’s a free country.

Yes I know right.

Well I knew a certain someone would bite, he actually hates me.

Going to get my popcorn and a beer, it's going to be a long arvo me thinks:ph34r:

2 minutes ago, TINGY996 said:

We are talking about the 996.2 which is a 3.6..........

Yes I know right.

Well I knew a certain someone would bite, he actually hates me.

Going to get my popcorn and a beer, it's going to be a long arvo me thinks:ph34r:

Dont know what you’re talking about, but Michel was quoting the 3.2 with the turbo look ..

And just for the sake of the C4S premium .. the air-cooled 3.2 with the turbo option commands a $40k + premium over the standard one ... for only the wider guards, brakes and suspension .. who woulda guessed!

1 minute ago, Dreamr said:

Dont know what you’re talking about, but Michel was quoting the 3.2 with the turbo look ..

And just for the sake of the C4S premium .. the air-cooled 3.2 with the turbo option commands a $40k + premium over the standard one ... for only the wider guards, brakes and suspension .. who woulda guessed!

Don't care.

3 hours ago, Shedpest said:

That's the one I was using as a litmus for entry to "Turbo" ownership vs NA 996s. 

And decades later the most expensive new 911 Turbo is still the 'automatic cabriolet' - despite everyone knowing that the manual coupe will always be the better long-term buy...

https://www.news.com.au/technology/motoring/luxury/porsche-911-cabriolet-turbo-s-review-top-shelf-supercar-is-something-special/news-story/73cf0e04441a7c4d8fa637ac94c08ebe

12 minutes ago, TINGY996 said:

Like I said, it's just my opinion and we have discussed this many times, I am only talking about 996, I  am not comparing it to any other car except 997.

Sorry I thought we were discussing 1st gen Boxsters

https://www.turbo-look.com/facts/911-carrera-3-2/

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2001-porsche-911-carrera-cabriolet-996-auto/SSE-AD-4630521/?Cr=1

Ah yes... nothing like a $50K 996 Cabriolet, I swear I saw 996 cabbies going for $32K minimum on CS just 7 months ago and this is supposed to the cheapest cab for sale right now.

4 minutes ago, Comяad1991 said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2001-porsche-911-carrera-cabriolet-996-auto/SSE-AD-4630521/?Cr=1

Ah yes... nothing like a $50K 996 Cabriolet, I swear I saw 996 cabbies going for $32K minimum on CS just 7 months ago and this is supposed to the cheapest cab for sale right now.

Gotta be quick in the dips hey!  It's an asking price - offer $33k and see how you go... What's the worst that could happen? Seller says "no". What if he says "yes"?

It's had the IMS Solution fitted, so you could say a non-IMS'd 996 tip cab is $45k (asking price).