Jump to content
MARTY

996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

Recommended Posts

36 minutes ago, CapnHyaku said:

I find it fascinating that it looks like it was a screen print from some custom Porsche CRM system.  Is it dot-matrix printed?

You would find it even more fascinating that the same system most likely used today. Go into any dealer and I bet you its the same green screen terminal that the above image came from is still in use. I can tell you with certainty that the Porsche and Audi backend systems are very similar if not the same platform and they are all still character based and keystroke driven. Im sure its no longer running on AS//400 but nothing would surprise me.

 

30 minutes ago, luzzo said:

By memory called AS400

AS/400 was the range of computer hardware released by IBM that ran OS/400 onto this you could load any application you wanted to. Just showing my age now.......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ArthurK said:

Just showing my age now

Oi

I still code in COBOL ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ArthurK said:

You would find it even more fascinating that the same system most likely used today. Go into any dealer and I bet you its the same green screen terminal that the above image came from is still in use. I can tell you with certainty that the Porsche and Audi backend systems are very similar if not the same platform and they are all still character based and keystroke driven. Im sure its no longer running on AS//400 but nothing would surprise me.

 

AS/400 was the range of computer hardware released by IBM that ran OS/400 onto this you could load any application you wanted to. Just showing my age now.......

When I first started work we had an IBM System 32 running a client accounting package - no idea what it was called though, then we upgraded to a PDP 11/23 doing basically the same, just a slightly smaller box........  Kept for our larger clients......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, P-Kay said:

Oi

I still code in COBOL ;) 

Hahahaha I know COBOL but havent coded since uni days, it was just like writing an essay :) . I drifted over to Network Engineering sphere. I wouldnt be surprised if the automakers systems are in COBOL

1 minute ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

When I first started work we had an IBM System 32 running a client accounting package - no idea what it was called though, then we upgraded to a PDP 11/23 doing basically the same, just a slightly smaller box........  Kept for our larger clients......

Quite a number of insurance firms were using the IBM System 32s. My first real exposure to the IBM systems was at Camberwell City Council (Now Booroondara). Had no clue what I was doing and got myself into a right royal mess with their token ring networking setup. Had to get it all back together again and working before catching a flight to Europe the following day. Got there in the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oops... 

Thought that comment might start a run from the IT crew here  :ConfusedGeek:

IT... I have no Idea  :Innocent:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, ArthurK said:

Had no clue what I was doing and got myself into a right royal mess with their token ring networking setup.

And there was no youtube tutorial to save you either.  😄 RTFM was the term I recall.

53 minutes ago, ArthurK said:

I wouldnt be surprised if the automakers systems are in COBOL

Maybe sales and logistics?  However I reckon somewhere there is a system still running FORTRAN...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CapnHyaku said:

And there was no youtube tutorial to save you either.  😄 RTFM was the term I recall.

Maybe sales and logistics?  However I reckon somewhere there is a system still running FORTRAN...

Yep the sales and logistics systems is what I am referring to.

Now you are scraping the bottom of the barrel! I sat my FORTRAN exam in 1992 and NEVER saw any code ever again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ArthurK said:

I sat my FORTRAN exam in 1992 and NEVER saw any code ever again!

I never had to do FORTRAN.

However the language I despised most was Haskell.  I feel I was taught it purely to demonstrate the fact there was an alternative to imperative languages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KGB said:

I've got a Mac.

KGB perfect 👌 last time I walked into the local PCAR showroom they had upgraded to MAC’s , I have a bit of experience and know my way around using the German SAP SE system, how about we get together and see if we can order a couple of NEW PCars under a covert mission, Fishcop if you keep watch we can download the AU 996 C4S Manual Coupe numbers for you 😂

712CB55E-DC6A-44D5-895C-1882130BD3EA.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, t888 said:

Rumour is that Apple will be releasing a car, in partnership with Hyundai 

t888 I will admit I was alerted to the news in advance and have since

hit Apple 🍎 online with my order already..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, firstone said:

What's a C4s worth?   😁

The current values (and I write current for posterity sake) for a coupe sits between $85k and $90k.

Would need to have well under 100 k's with a decent service history and be a manual coupe for that price bracket ..

Hope this helps ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

The current values (and I write current for posterity sake) for a coupe sits between $85k and $90k.

Would need to have well under 100 k's with a decent service history and be a manual coupe for that price bracket ..

Hope this helps ... 

I’d get $99k for mine ‘cause it’s not Schwarz 😜

2 hours ago, VGTS20 said:

KGB perfect 👌 last time I walked into the local PCAR showroom they had upgraded to MAC’s , I have a bit of experience and know my way around using the German SAP SE system, how about we get together and see if we can order a couple of NEW PCars under a covert mission, Fishcop if you keep watch we can download the AU 996 C4S Manual Coupe numbers for you 😂

712CB55E-DC6A-44D5-895C-1882130BD3EA.jpeg

I even know some cool keyboard shortcuts so we’d be gone before they finished their cofffees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, KGB said:

I’d get $99k for mine ‘cause it’s not Schwarz 😜

 

:RockingDeath:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/porsche-911-1999/sse-ad-6456222/?utm_campaign=interest-alert&utm_source=notification-centre&utm_medium=email&csn_atid=cb733fad-5112-4046-8aec-f2be21923482

There was a thread about this car on Facebook a week or two ago. A guy was ready to buy it, put down a deposit and did a check on it. It came up as a repairable write off, so he went to the seller and told him. The seller said he had no idea, was very surprised and refunded the deposit.

The thing I don't like about this the seller now knows, but has not changed the ad to reflect this. It is still for sale unchanged. It makes me wonder how many times he has been 'surprised' to find out it was previously written off. I've wondered why it hasn't sold, it's been listed for a while now. So I guess now we know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Steve996 said:

JLD the seller has known for a long time.

He's also open to allowing you to taking it for a test drive despite it's registration lapsing. :-S 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Steve996 said:

JLD the seller has known for a long time. It was mentioned in this thread many pages ago. 🙂

I must have missed the discussion. It’s so dodgy hiding that sort of info. I know it’s buyer beware, but really if he were honest he might have actually sold it (not for 55k though!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

PFA [Porsche Forum Australia]

This is an online platform for like-minded Porsche fans/fanatics/tragics to come together to read, chat and share.

It is also a platform to arrange and participate in off-line social meet-ups, events and drives.

×
×
  • Create New...