996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

1 hour ago, tomo said:

If I have the right car that was sold about 3 -4 years ago wovr with about 50 000 ks and for about 50 k could be wrong, but it looks like the one I was following then poof it was gone

Could be @tomo. Kind of marries up with the service history which shows Dealer servicing until 2015 at around 61,000Kms. Then nothing further until 06/2019 at 79,660kms (at Indy) and nothing since. Car is advertised with 79,000Kms. 

You would have to get a structural  damage report of the wovr mob before you could give it a thought. If it was mainly light panel damage it is not that serious, But heavy panel damage and which ones, And who replaced them to many questions  $40 k

24 minutes ago, tomo said:

You would have to get a structural  damage report of the wovr mob before you could give it a thought. If it was mainly light panel damage it is not that serious, But heavy panel damage and which ones, And who replaced them to many questions  $40 k

I’m thinking of looking at it, it’s local to me. I would want the price to start with a 5 though

1 hour ago, JLD said:

I’m thinking of looking at it, it’s local to me. I would want the price to start with a 5 though

Its only 4 bucks for a damage report you can do it on line, It don't tel you much bar panel damage but it is a start good luck

27 minutes ago, JLD said:

This can’t be a real listing, surely

I believe he is completely genuine. 

He has spent $48,000 on a new engine and gearbox at Porsche. Also a new soft top. So, over $50k. 

That makes it only $25k for the car. From the sellers perspective = Bargain.

With some 175000 built I do not think they will reach the hights of the of the air cooled cars simply because of numbers built, But  In saying that cream always come's to the top and despite its"Problems " It is stil a well built car on a modern chassis and a great drive, Time will tell .

1 hour ago, tomo said:

With some 175000 built I do not think they will reach the hights of the of the air cooled cars simply because of numbers built, But  In saying that cream always come's to the top and despite its"Problems " It is stil a well built car on a modern chassis and a great drive, Time will tell .

There is the Aussie Bubble to consider here too...

Despite 175000 built, only a very small proportion are RHD and complianced in Australia - and we know there is a deep aversion to 'imported cars' by buyers.  Ditch the cab autos (and I mean no offence to those owners) and you have a relatively rarer 996.  Pick some of the paint to sample or unpopular-at-the-time colours (remember Coffee Brown in the G series?) for some more kudos, or the factory specials, or the C4S; and you're now potentially swimming in cream as time rolls on.  A search of 996 manual coupes for sale quickly brings some perspective.

But I tend to agree that they won't reach the automotive iconography of the air cooled, small bumper cars.

53 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

There is the Aussie Bubble to consider here too...

Despite 175000 built, only a very small proportion are RHD and complianced in Australia - and we know there is a deep aversion to 'imported cars' by buyers.  Ditch the cab autos (and I mean no offence to those owners) and you have a relatively rarer 996.  Pick some of the paint to sample or unpopular-at-the-time colours (remember Coffee Brown in the G series?) for some more kudos, or the factory specials, or the C4S; and you're now potentially swimming in cream as time rolls on.  A search of 996 manual coupes for sale quickly brings some perspective.

But I tend to agree that they won't reach the automotive iconography of the air cooled, small bumper cars.

To be more accurate Sir… I think it’s paint code 457 mocha black

7 hours ago, Dreamr said:

Is it overpriced ... or becoming more appreciated?? ...🤔

Orrrrr, is it people can't afford/justify air cooled prices, and 'settle' for something cheaper just to own a flat 6 Porsche? 🤔 😁

We all remember people (including me) saying "996 headlights look shit", yet now you hear "They've grown on me" quite a bit.

Regardless of what or why it is, they're great cars to drive

All good points except for the fact my 2 cents are missing from the equation. 😄

TLDR: It's all cyclical.  996 will go up over time, it's inevitable.

1. 996 headlights still look crap/odd/wrong/stolen from Boxster.  But the sands of time fall and the little kids who saw this as the "new" 911 have grown up and will be driving some demand now.  They never lived the change from air to water and are not really emotionally invested in the "purity" of the air-cooled flat 6.

2. The number made is a reflection of the available market.  Over the decades not only did the price of manufacturing come down, but new markets were unlocked.  That addressable market space hasn't changed, there are people that will buy the "cheap" 996 across all these markets, just like there were people in the 2000's who would buy "cheap" 964's (that was once an ugly duckling too).

3. Every generation of Porsche has it's story and adherents.  The 930 was the original widow-maker, the 993 was the last gasp, pun intended, of the air-cooled.  The 996 was the car that saved the company.  If not for the 996, Porsche might have ended up as some bastardised commodity like MG.  I think an important part of why these older cars have value is that people can conceptualise these machines as MORE than just some collection of metal extrusions that get you from A to B.

4. Natural attrition assures the supply reduces as the demand remains or grows.  Boy-racers wrecking cheap depreciated sports cars is nothing new and no one is making new 996's.  Those left, held by owners who cherish them, as the years roll on, will only be let go of for higher and higher prices.

Personally I hope prices remain high enough to dissuade the most un-appreciative, and remain low enough that they don't all end up in menageries.

As a very new 911 (poor man's 996) owner & a previous owner of another "poor man's" (944S2) Porsche , I feel I can throw in 2 cents here.

Surely we can all agree that ALL 911's are amazingly engineered, cutting edge machines (for their time)?  Water cooled or Air cooled they are outstanding to drive, each & every one. 

I will say having driven my 911 a few times now that the aural aspects of the 911 are amazing though I miss the amazing balance of my S2.  As I learn to be a better rear engined driver I'm sure I'll miss it less.

I think no matter what model you own I don't think anyone could really point to any model & say, "Oh, yes, that's the shit one.  Porsche really fucked up there & made a shitter that has no redeeming merits".  Early 924's are underpowered - so I hear?  But driven at 10 tenths by a great driver they are supposed to be beautifully balanced.  944's are terrific - having owned one I know this is true.  928's are gorgeous Bahnstormers with beautiful lines etc etc etc.  They are Porsches, they're all beautiful & their owners are blessed.

I'd suggest we generally all agree that pre 996 & post 996 headlights are better looking !!  (Though mine have grown on me).

I think it's absolutley correct to say the best 996 examples will rise in value.  Hopefully they'll stay within reach of motivated enthusiasts. 

We can all agree that Speed Yellow is a (very) manly coloured car to own.

I really like mine & feel pretty sure I will grow to love it.  I won't be crushed if I don't though as I will move on & buy a Cayman ( luckily I know a few hairdressers that may be selling theirs soon............).