996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

1 hour ago, Sherpa said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2003-porsche-911-carrera-4s-996-auto-awd-my04/SSE-AD-7103664

That was $85k back in May. It’s just had its price changed to $120k. That’s quite a jump for a car that’s spent more than 6 months on CS…

Unmotivated seller

There’s a tip cab I enquired about 18 months ago when it was priced at $39,995 It’s still available at $64,800! 
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2001-porsche-911-carrera-cabriolet-996-auto/SSE-AD-4630521

7 minutes ago, JLD said:

Unmotivated seller

Too many fishermen on lake COVID at the moment unfortunately! It’s pretty well proven, when cars are priced right now, they move fast… kinda like realestate, days on the market is the better indicator than ‘asking price’, a lot of the proper deals don’t even get to market now… I’m not saying the market isn’t strong, because it certainly is strong, the reality is, it’s just not as high as the ‘Lake Covid Game Fishing Club’ wants you to believe. 

I don't get it.

I very recently drove a really nice '99 996 tip that was advertised for $48k (and has been discussed on here yet noone had actually called the owner to find out the details). That's FORTY EIGHT THOUSAND DOLLARS, yet it had sat unsold for months. It may have just sold today after a chat with the owner yesterday, yet it is probably the best 996 I've driven (apart from PhilH car) and was probably worth more than the asking price. Yeah it's got some different rims and window tint, yet it has a fully rebuilt engine with everything done to it by Porsche centre Adelaide including a transferable warranty, drove exceptionally well and presented very well with the owner pointing out its paint flaws that I had trouble finding even after he pointed at them, as they were tiny blemishes.

And before anyone asks, yes I did think about buying it, as I believe you wouldn't find a better 996 for under 50 grand, yet my 'Don't be a dickhead/you don't need it/have no room and don't drive your own car' side of my brain told me to not buy it...again 🙄

The owner told me he had a few calls about it, yet most of them were concerned about the minuscule paint defects, asked why the engine needed rebuilding, and that they didn't like the rims. How bloody fussy are people when it has easily changed rims (originals came with the sale to a buyer), maybe a little bit of paint rectification and because its 'cheap', they don't even bother considering it? What the hell do you want, a car that has delivery mileage only, still has plastic on the seats and furry bits on the tyres, but don't want to pay a premium for it? It's a 25 year old car FFS, of course it's not going to be perfect! 

I just don't understand why people wait and wait and wait for the right car that's at the top of the price range, have a cry saying it's too much money, yet they don't even investigate cars like the one above that are 10, 20 or 30k cheaper? 

9 hours ago, Sherpa said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2003-porsche-911-carrera-4s-996-auto-awd-my04/SSE-AD-7103664

That was $85k back in May. It’s just had its price changed to $120k. That’s quite a jump for a car that’s spent more than 6 months on CS…

Turbo tips are selling for less.

10 hours ago, LeeM said:

I just don't understand why people wait and wait and wait for the right car that's at the top of the price range, have a cry saying it's too much money, yet they don't even investigate cars like the one above that are 10, 20 or 30k cheaper? 

100% agree with what you've said. 

I think the other issue when the L.C.G.F.C. Lake Covid 2021 Tournament is on, is that the over inflated asking prices of majority of the market makes the cheapest car look like its got something wrong with it... its automatically got a bad stigma attached to it before people will even click through for a detailed ad view! "Oh that's way cheaper than the rest, must be a shitbox scroll on..." 

I have bought cars that were cheap in the market like this ^^ no one gave em a second look, talk to the owner only to find out that is what is happy to take for it, and that he didn't think his example was worth the premium others are asking all things considered. 

Interested to hear what price range mine might be at. Toying with idea of selling and getting a coupe maybe. 
2000 , manual, black on black, cab, hardtop, 18” turbo wheels, 137kms

juat got full respray (insurance work) due to stone chips

also just had 6400 spent on IMS, clutch, flywheel etc 

BA55-C26-A-91-F1-4-BB2-BDDE-5-F692-A4623
2-DA0-DB76-AB1-A-4-FF0-B6-AD-600-CEDA918

48 minutes ago, edgy said:

I think the other issue when the L.C.G.F.C. Lake Covid 2021 Tournament is on, is that the over inflated asking prices of majority of the market makes the cheapest car look like its got something wrong with it... its automatically got a bad stigma attached to it before people will even click through for a detailed ad view! "Oh that's way cheaper than the rest, must be a shitbox scroll on..." 

I have bought cars that were cheap in the market like this ^^ no one gave em a second look, talk to the owner only to find out that is what is happy to take for it, and that he didn't think his example was worth the premium others are asking all things considered. 

Yeah, agreed. They guy I bought mine from took the unsurprisingly silly price that Porsche offered him as a trade on a new 992, slapped 25% on top and put it on CS. It was a 1 owner with documented service history and IMS all done. All he wanted was more than the trade offer and quick sale.

2 hours ago, DT said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1999-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual/OAG-AD-20300187?pageSource=details&id=OAG-AD-20300187

On hold already. Am I correct this is member JWM’s car? A beautiful car. Congrats on the sale and congrats to the new owner, very well bought.

Yep, this is mine. Thanks mate. 

Definitely sold fast but not a surprise. Hope the new owner enjoys it. I’ll miss it for sure, especially now that it’s so well sorted in all areas … but time to try something new.  

Everyone should prepare for 996 prices to triple in the next three months based on my usual luck with timing... 😂

7 hours ago, JWM said:

Definitely sold fast but not a surprise. Hope the new owner enjoys it. I’ll miss it for sure, especially now that it’s so well sorted in all areas … but time to try something new.  

Everyone should prepare for 996 prices to triple in the next three months based on my usual luck with timing... 😂

Nice one fella 👍

It was a nice car when you bought it, yet as you say it's even better now and worth the money.

Got anything lined up to replace it? 

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

Nice one fella 👍

It was a nice car when you bought it, yet as you say it's even better now and worth the money.

Got anything lined up to replace it? 

Cheers mate. Nothing yet…we’ll see what’s out there. Not in a hurry, maybe I’ll wait for the COVID crazy pricing to subside (now that I’ve said that, will probably have bought something be the end of tomorrow 🤣)… Not that I think the COVID tax applies to the 996 to be honest but if I go something newer I reckon it’s in the prices. 

23 hours ago, DT said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1999-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual/OAG-AD-20300187?pageSource=details&id=OAG-AD-20300187

On hold already. Am I correct this is member JWM’s car? A beautiful car. Congrats on the sale and congrats to the new owner, very well bought.

That looks a whole lot like my 996. I should sell it at some stage as I don't use it much as Mrs Jeff now works from home so I generally drive the Macan or Harry. I am not ready to buy it's replacement yet though, so it will stay. They are still a great car to drive, and modern enough to be a comfortable daily. 

642B46A4-09C7-4097-A117-2375B176B62B.thumb.JPG.40761c38da1ee668498f034f05a1eef2.JPG

On 13/11/2021 at 00:43, JWM said:

I just want to say thanks for this. 
Just like everyone with crypto can thank me for the recent spike being sue to clearing out my accounts for a house deposit.

If you don't mind, what did it go for in the end?

On 12/11/2021 at 08:01, edgy said:

In short ^  this x 5 (last 5 car purchases)

"Oh that's way cheaper than the rest, must be a shitbox scroll on..."   Thats gold: and the trigger to apply Warren Buffet's   stock selection principles of  "Be greedy when others are fearful"

In long form with added context

For me, once that rare virtual itch becomes a real one that is going to need actual scratching (pitches all done, pre-requisites  all sorted, funds available and full signoff from the CFO and your on the hunt) the added context as I see it is that some business analogies need to be leveraged.  With time on your side compared to many others, your seeking an example of Alpha  where the actual purchase price is at a decent discount to net tangible asset value (asking) according to the relative consensus views of most sellers and buyers in the market at the time.  Then your smiles per mile for what you have is equally the same or even more that the higher asking price examples. Its very satisfying seeking and landing Alpha in your own mind when basically others poo poo''d publicly based purely on the low asking price.       

But for me seeking Alpha is based on a few self taught guiding principles / formulae's  I have applied when I have that rare itch that eventually needs to be scratched. 

1) DYOR  (known the models / options, differences, mechanical / interior pain points, preventative maintenance, service costs, consumables , must do tweaks for more smiles per mile)

2) A fair bit of patience required.   Follow @M Bedford's lead on his seeking Alpha(???)  quest for a 997 gt3.  I have been in that itch scratching mode for up to 2 years on a car or two.    Go in with a possible long gestation period.  That also allows a bit of time to pontificate on the preventative maintenance  parts list for first service, addressing pain points ,  along with the tinkering parts list / tune  along with who is going to do the PPI - depending on what state the potential seller is located  

3) Be greedy when others are fearful.  Zero time to pontificate when one comes up that ticks many of the boxes.  You snooze, you loose.  A minority in the market have certain circumstances that you could luck out  and capitalise on.  Not everyone is asking over the odd's asking price  Eg I got on the backend of divorce proceedings when I brought my P car.  Lets say in the 8 weeks from the initial asking price and my first offer  to what I paid, their was a sizable % change and shift in the owners tone from the first call  compared to the two subsequent calls and email argy bargy.   Also the one that sticks out to me with minimal airplay this forum pre covid  that really stood out to me was a  997.1 gt3 asking $150K, 50k  km,  white, full Porsche service stamped history, no accident damage,  major service just done and fully detailed, need the cash for business opportunity, has not seen any track tarmac,  any test drive in the Perth hills or ppi welcome.   Must have been the white colour and lack of love for a white gt3.1 mezger.  Too many on here thinking the circa 80-90k km red one at $169k at Richmond's in SA at the time was a steal and couldn't work out why it was taking so long to sell. On the white one,  instant thinking  appeared to be priced too low, must be something wrong with that 997 gt3 for 150k. I would really look carefully at the over revs and confirm the no accident history/ sigs of track use claim.  Just a view, but based on a desk top review and super zooming on the available pics, the Richmond car cosmetically  was well inferior and proportionate to the kilomentres travelled.  Eg MY view, the 169k was was inferior to the 150k car  in absence of a ppi on the drive train.  Wholesle vs retail pricing and the cheaper car appeared to be the Alpha

4) Wholesale budget / offers only subject to a PPI.     

5) Mindfulness applies.  The cats out the bag  with LCGFC.  Something I have applied over the last two decades that is being applied during LCGFC under duress.   No need to view a car in the flesh,  let alone touch the accelerator pedal of the model before purchasing one.  For those that can't get their had around that,  its a state of mindfulness.  Basically  I've done the desktop homework  and  will chase one.   For me a stock guise example  is not planned to to stay in that state for very loNg.  There are basically zero  examples out their of what the ownership plan is in terms of my end game behind the wheel is , let alone ticking the boxes on my purchase price budget and tinkering budget.  Why waste time and money seeking a rare Unicorn  (Alpha Plus) that is unlikely to be available in the window that you need to scratch your itch.  Plus nice to not handover the keys to anyone on your first drive or having range anxiety  (gears shifts at the higher end of the rpm tacho gauge on your test drive without  someone peering over and keeping a close eye on that).   

6) Grinding it out on car sales.  I tend to focus mainly only on cars up to 20% over my budget with a preference for private sales that the masses won't waste their time on or are fearful of and assume as noted above,  cheaper than the rest , problems, scroll on.   eg  On a XXXX beer budget from the get go with the goal of landing  a peach as opposed to a sour grape  when others with itches to scratch are happy drop a Penfold's type  budget  when they have their itch to scratch.   Based on their lack of DYOR, many haven't allowed  for the odd sour grape that made its way in the bottle that results  in some elements of sour overtones  they were not expecting    Particularly as these 996's are at / approaching 20 years of age.

2 hours ago, smit2100 said:

In short ^  this x 5 (last 5 car purchases)

"Oh that's way cheaper than the rest, must be a shitbox scroll on..."   Thats gold: and the trigger to apply Warren Buffet's   stock selection principles of  "Be greedy when others are fearful"

In long form with added context

For me, once that rare virtual itch becomes a real one that is going to need actual scratching (pitches all done, pre-requisites  all sorted, funds available and full signoff from the CFO and your on the hunt) the added context as I see it is that some business analogies need to be leveraged.  With time on your side compared to many others, your seeking an example of Alpha  where the actual purchase price is at a decent discount to net tangible asset value (asking) according to the relative consensus views of most sellers and buyers in the market at the time.  Then your smiles per mile for what you have is equally the same or even more that the higher asking price examples. Its very satisfying seeking and landing Alpha in your own mind when basically others poo poo''d publicly based purely on the low asking price.       

But for me seeking Alpha is based on a few self taught guiding principles / formulae's  I have applied when I have that rare itch that eventually needs to be scratched. 

1) DYOR  (known the models / options, differences, mechanical / interior pain points, preventative maintenance, service costs, consumables , must do tweaks for more smiles per mile)

2) A fair bit of patience required.   Follow @M Bedford's lead on his seeking Alpha(???)  quest for a 997 gt3.  I have been in that itch scratching mode for up to 2 years on a car or two.    Go in with a possible long gestation period.  That also allows a bit of time to pontificate on the preventative maintenance  parts list for first service, addressing pain points ,  along with the tinkering parts list / tune  along with who is going to do the PPI - depending on what state the potential seller is located  

3) Be greedy when others are fearful.  Zero time to pontificate when one comes up that ticks many of the boxes.  You snooze, you loose.  A minority in the market have certain circumstances that you could luck out  and capitalise on.  Not everyone is asking over the odd's asking price  Eg I got on the backend of divorce proceedings when I brought my P car.  Lets say in the 8 weeks from the initial asking price and my first offer  to what I paid, their was a sizable % change and shift in the owners tone from the first call  compared to the two subsequent calls and email argy bargy.   Also the one that sticks out to me with minimal airplay this forum pre covid  that really stood out to me was a  997.1 gt3 asking $150K, 50k  km,  white, full Porsche service stamped history, no accident damage,  major service just done and fully detailed, need the cash for business opportunity, has not seen any track tarmac,  any test drive in the Perth hills or ppi welcome.   Must have been the white colour and lack of love for a white gt3.1 mezger.  Too many on here thinking the circa 80-90k km red one at $169k at Richmond's in SA at the time was a steal and couldn't work out why it was taking so long to sell. On the white one,  instant thinking  appeared to be priced too low, must be something wrong with that 997 gt3 for 150k. I would really look carefully at the over revs and confirm the no accident history/ sigs of track use claim.  Just a view, but based on a desk top review and super zooming on the available pics, the Richmond car cosmetically  was well inferior and proportionate to the kilomentres travelled.  Eg MY view, the 169k was was inferior to the 150k car  in absence of a ppi on the drive train.  Wholesle vs retail pricing and the cheaper car appeared to be the Alpha

4) Wholesale budget / offers only subject to a PPI.     

5) Mindfulness applies.  The cats out the bag  with LCGFC.  Something I have applied over the last two decades that is being applied during LCGFC under duress.   No need to view a car in the flesh,  let alone touch the accelerator pedal of the model before purchasing one.  For those that can't get their had around that,  its a state of mindfulness.  Basically  I've done the desktop homework  and  will chase one.   For me a stock guise example  is not planned to to stay in that state for very loNg.  There are basically zero  examples out their of what the ownership plan is in terms of my end game behind the wheel is , let alone ticking the boxes on my purchase price budget and tinkering budget.  Why waste time and money seeking a rare Unicorn  (Alpha Plus) that is unlikely to be available in the window that you need to scratch your itch.  Plus nice to not handover the keys to anyone on your first drive or having range anxiety  (gears shifts at the higher end of the rpm tacho gauge on your test drive without  someone peering over and keeping a close eye on that).   

6) Grinding it out on car sales.  I tend to focus mainly only on cars up to 20% over my budget with a preference for private sales that the masses won't waste their time on or are fearful of and assume as noted above,  cheaper than the rest , problems, scroll on.   eg  On a XXXX beer budget from the get go with the goal of landing  a peach as opposed to a sour grape  when others with itches to scratch are happy drop a Penfold's type  budget  when they have their itch to scratch.   Based on their lack of DYOR, many haven't allowed  for the odd sour grape that made its way in the bottle that results  in some elements of sour overtones  they were not expecting    Particularly as these 996's are at / approaching 20 years of age.

All this talk of $150k 997.1 gt3's 😐