996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, JLD said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-carrera-cabriolet-996-manual-my02/SSE-AD-11972615

Illegal u-turn then watch me thrash the car I’m selling 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

I inspected a private sale 997 while I was looking for my car. The seller took me for a drive because wouldn’t let me drive it 🙄. On that very short drive, with the engine cold, he thrashed it down a quiet suburban street to impress me with its power. That told me two things: he didn’t look after the car, and he was a bit of a dickhead…

This ad is very reminiscent of that 😅

9 hours ago, JLD said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-carrera-cabriolet-996-manual-my02/SSE-AD-11972615

Illegal u-turn then watch me thrash the car I’m selling 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣

Can't understand why OO would have specced Hilux grey interior with Guards Red, or why dealer would have ordered it that way for a stock car....

Are people actually paying the prices for 996s that carsales is offering them up at? Not disrespecting the 996, I am about to list my 2020 RS3 and contemplating getting into a cab 996 manual if I can find one I like. Happy to drive the Holden Cruze as my daily till Covid tax evaporates, these prices are not sustainable.

1 hour ago, ArthurK said:

Are people actually paying the prices for 996s that carsales is offering them up at? Not disrespecting the 996, I am about to list my 2020 RS3 and contemplating getting into a cab 996 manual if I can find one I like. Happy to drive the Holden Cruze as my daily till Covid tax evaporates, these prices are not sustainable.

I hope they as I’m considering listing my well sorted manual cab next month if the prices are real 😏

I dont think they will be dropping in a hurry to be honest. As a seller I am going to benefit greatly with the current market conditions. Will be flipping the RS3 for the price I got into it brand new. First time I have not taken a depreciation hit on a new car! 

I just cannot bring myself and pay what they are currently asking. I sold my 996.2 for 165K when it was 4 years old back in 2005.

14 hours ago, ArthurK said:

When 911s are reasonable priced they sell in days. When they're underpriced it can happen in minutes. 

Most of these 996s have been up for months.

As for the market, new cars are still very delayed (porsche and all the other German brands) and who knows when borders will open. I have seen some analysis of the us market that says that 996 and 997 prices there are starting to flatten. 

On 02/02/2022 at 22:46, ArthurK said:

Are people actually paying the prices for 996s that carsales is offering them up at?

From my observations not really... I watched it closely for the last year the $80k tiptronic cabs for example just gather dust, whereas a good Carrera Coupe manual at $60k +/- 10% sells.. there is always exceptions outside of this, but when the gap to a 997 Carrera is almost negligible, no one is going to buy the 996 instead. 

I still think the real value buy right now is a good 997.1 

On 03/02/2022 at 13:48, t888 said:

When 911s are reasonable priced they sell in days. When they're underpriced it can happen in minutes. 

That's what I would have assumed. I dont know who would pay 40% of new value 20 years later. But then again we live in interesting times.

4 hours ago, edgy said:

I totally agree, but am wondering what is the right price for a 997.1 manual cab. I havent been looking that long and there are not many of them out there. I dont, personally see value at >$100K but maybe I am unrealistic. When 991.1 cabs pop up for mid to low $100Ks  then it shows the disparity in pricing. 

I know many people would have seen this ad: https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2002-porsche-911-carrera-cabriolet-996-manual-my03/SSE-AD-12111550/?Cr=11

I just wonder what goes through a persons head when they first take on the project to repair this and then assume that a repaired write off is an asset worth $61K just because it has a Porsche badge.

Love the comment: "The reason it is so cheap is that it is a repaired write off that was professionally rebuilt by the previous owner. It is fully registered with no issues. I have photos for any serious buyer which shows the fairly minor previous damage."

If it helps someone who's buying, in November I sold my 1999 manual coupe via Authohaus for $77k.

It had done just on 100,000 km, was in excellent condition, full history and had ALL the 'usual' work done (new clutch, IMS, AOS, RMS, engine mounts, suspension and more) and some good options like the LSD.

Obviously I'm biased but I'd say it was a pretty well sorted car ... So that's one data point for anyone in the market. Old Carsales listing is here for reference.

6 hours ago, edgy said:

From my observations not really... I watched it closely for the last year the $80k tiptronic cabs for example just gather dust, whereas a good Carrera Coupe manual at $60k +/- 10% sells.. there is always exceptions outside of this, but when the gap to a 997 Carrera is almost negligible, no one is going to buy the 996 instead. 

Point me in the direction of a decent, well optioned, well credentialed and well looked after, and/or tastefully updated 996.2 Manual coupe for under 80k?

3 hours ago, ArthurK said:

I totally agree, but am wondering what is the right price for a 997.1 manual cab. I havent been looking that long and there are not many of them out there. I dont, personally see value at >$100K but maybe I am unrealistic. When 991.1 cabs pop up for mid to low $100Ks  then it shows the disparity in pricing. 

Totally hear you, I think the problem is all the fisherman throwing big numbers out there to see if they get a bite, it really skews the perception on numbers… IMO a good low mile (50k kms) 997.1 manual cab is a $100k car and barely a dollar over, you might stump up a little more for an S? 

1 hour ago, NAC911 said:

Point me in the direction of a decent, well optioned, well credentialed and well looked after, and/or tastefully updated 996.2 Manual coupe for under 80k?

Patience, make sure you put the word out and remain active on any off market or incoming stock lists… I cannot see $80k + for a 6.2 Carrera sorry… @JWM notes a sale price of $77k at dealer for his fully sorted… so there’s one example of sub a $80k sale, and you have to add some premium for the dealer sale IMO. 

38 minutes ago, edgy said:

Totally hear you, I think the problem is all the fisherman throwing big numbers out there to see if they get a bite, it really skews the perception on numbers… IMO a good low mile (50k kms) 997.1 manual cab is a $100k car and barely a dollar over, you might stump up a little more for an S? 

Patience, make sure you put the word out and remain active on any off market or incoming stock lists… I cannot see $80k + for a 6.2 Carrera sorry… @JWM notes a sale price of $77k at dealer for his fully sorted… so there’s one example of sub a $80k sale, and you have to add some premium for the dealer sale IMO. 

Sorry but i think you may have missed the boat. There simply isn't any Decent Man 996 .2 under 80k. People arent silly. The Jahre FS recently for 84K sold in 2 hours...

37 minutes ago, NAC911 said:

Sorry but i think you may have missed the boat. There simply isn't any Decent Man 996 .2 under 80k. People arent silly. The Jahre FS recently for 84K sold in 2 hours...

I’m not buying, so no boats missed here. 

Jahre is a limited car, so an exception, at an ask just above $80k and a fast sale… I can’t see how that supports vanilla Carrera being $80k + but I understand your point that’s what most are asking, I am either jaded or just don’t get it when 997 can be had for very little more than those tall asking prices on 996

17 minutes ago, edgy said:

I’m not buying, so no boats missed here. 

Jahre is a limited car, so an exception, at an ask just above $80k and a fast sale… I can’t see how that supports vanilla Carrera being $80k + but I understand your point that’s what most are asking, I am either jaded or just don’t get it when 997 can be had for very little more than those tall asking prices on 996

As a recent consumer who's researched for 18 months the jump from 996.2 Manual to 997 Manual was about 25k. Cheapest 997 manual is currently 110k...

1 minute ago, tomo said:

Unless it's a 2009 it's basically a 996 with a different dash and less attractive headlights  and 20 to 30 k dearer maybe they have worked it out, That it's the basically the same car and a good couple of rounds of drinks cheaper :)

2 minutes ago, tomo said:

Unless it's a 2009 it's basically a 996 with a different dash and less attractive headlights  and 20 to 30 k dearer maybe they have worked it out, That it's the basically the same car and a good couple of rounds of drinks cheaper :)

I've done my research, and honestly, a decent manual 996.2 with decent options/upgrades at 80-90k is the Porsche performance bargain of the century relative to 997 at 110k+++ 

1 hour ago, NAC911 said:

People arent silly.

People arent silly but people are emotional. People convince themselves they need the change/new car and once that mindset is in they usually jump at the next unit that comes along. No different to the property market. Rather than being rational about it people have been paying crazy stupid prices just to get in there. I get it but the rational side of me says screw that because this isnt realistic and when things turn it will hurt. 

I bought the RS3 on a whim, a car I have not bonded with and not enjoyed driving. Thought I would but no such luck, nothing like what the 911 has given me or even the Commodore for that matter (I know people will laugh at that). But at the end of the day I used to get into that and enjoyed the sledgehammer performance of it. Nothing stock about it but it was a journey to get it there too. So the RS3 gets washed on the weekend and listed for sale. Will I buy a 996 cab on a FOMO  no chance. Does that mean I miss out so be it