996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

1 hour ago, bear924 said:

This one looks nice for the price:

http://pcnsw.com.au/PorscheClubs/pc_nsw/pc_main.nsf/web/1613DA2C41126FC8C1258237007D6ED2#pagetop

Obviously only one photo, and sometimes cars in Porsche club websites stay up long after they are sold.

Worth a phone call tomorrow. Is it a manual though?

1 hour ago, disco said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/SSE-AD-5315398/?Cr=5

Price drop...maybe getting more realistic with the kays and condition? Nice combo though.

Interesting little spoilerette (or mini whale tail???).  Haven't seen one of those before, anyone know anything about them?

2 hours ago, JLD said:

Assuming the price, condition, ks, colour, options, etc were the same would you buy a manual cab or a tip coupe???

That's a tough one for general ownership, depends on the cab colour as well, black top / black looks about the best as the lines blend, black top / silver maybe .....if you prize driving over looks, well it's the man cab but if you prize looking at it and showing it off to others over driving then it's the tipper coupe ... imo the hardtops look crap. Daily driver? sways it towards the tipper, they still are a helluver car!

On 17/03/2018 at 7:32 PM, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

Hey Guys,

I'm a bit of a noob in need of some advice.

I had a 2001 996 inspected a week or so ago. The PPI pulled up a number of age related issues as expected.

It also pulled up the following over speed ignitions:

• 65,517 range 1 ignitions
  • 1,470 range 2 ignitions

I was told that range 1 are not so bad - it's basically bouncing off the rev limiter.

It's range 2 that is problematic. The engine has had 1,470 ignitions beyond red line as I understand it.

Is that walk away territory?

From my Googling, there are 3 ignitions for every 1 engine revolution.

That means the engine did 1470 / 3 = 490 revs above the 7,200 red line.

490 / 7200 = 0.068 minutes = 4.083 seconds. That's assuming it was spinning @ 7200 RPM!?

Are my calculations correct?

It's a low mileage car that hasn't been driven much lately. Cylinder comp came back between 175 and 170.

Thanks for your help.

Porsche say if the over rev occurred <120 hours ago the engine is in the danger zone. If its significantly over 120 hours the engine has survived.

1 hour ago, dan_189 said:

Difficult to out a definitive answer to that, interestingly it's a 99' with E-throttle rather than wire driven. 

If its factory standard yes it should have duel row IMS & only the 1998 car had cable throttle & amber lenses 

47 minutes ago, James P said:

If its factory standard yes it should have duel row IMS & only the 1998 car had cable throttle & amber lenses 

Mine's a March 99 build with cable throttle and clear lenses. 

2 hours ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

Would this have the dual row IMS bearing?

From what I've read the changeover to single row started happening somewhere in the 2000 year.

58 minutes ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

It'll be interesting to see if it had its IMS done or not. A number of the 98s I've looked at haven't bothered given the lower failure rate.

I personally wouldn't worry about the IMSB on a 98/99 but would be a bit more circumspect on a mid/late 2000 onwards car. But this one's an interesting one as I thought the e-gas started in 2001.