996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

11 minutes ago, edgy said:

I really think this is cool... not sure what it says about me, but hey... here you go

0c2fb4ff158519c7beaf87b3fdbd6711.jpg?pxc

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/OAG-AD-16177923/?Cr=12 

Yeah, I really like it. And I think it's better that it doesn't have tan interior. The green looks great with the black

13 minutes ago, D2000 said:

Nope. 

I’ve been busy at work and I was about to call Buiks to plan a PPI over lunch.

Oh well, it wasn’t meant to be!

Good luck to who ever grabbed it. 

1 hour ago, edgy said:

I really think this is cool... not sure what it says about me, but hey... here you go

0c2fb4ff158519c7beaf87b3fdbd6711.jpg?pxc

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1998/OAG-AD-16177923/?Cr=12 

To quote Kath & Kim...”nice, different, unusual”

This seems very well looked after. Really don’t know if I’d end up regretting buying a tip instead of holding out for a manual though ? https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2003/SSE-AD-5578134

Price seems “ok”... Maybe $50k and it would be “good buy”?

6 minutes ago, JWM said:

This seems very well looked after. Really don’t know if I’d end up regretting buying a tip instead of holding out for a manual though ? https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2003/SSE-AD-5578134

You would (regret it). If you want manual buy manual

16 minutes ago, D2000 said:

You would (regret it). If you want manual buy manual

All comes down to how much you're prepared to pay for a manual.  I was in the same boat and basically it came down to a manual being $10k above my budget.  $55k for IMS done compares to what I paid (for one without IMS done), presumably a bit of room for negotiation so you could come out right.  Having said that, if my budget was higher, I would have bought one of the manuals that have been available for around $60k.

12 hours ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

I was under the impression that the turbo engines were super reliable. Bulletproof some might say!

https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911-turbo/14042/porsche-996-turbo-buying-checkpoints

Yeah - I wondered about this too.

OK, so it went into the workshop for a gearbox fix (that the Factory caused??) and ended up with a motor rebuild as well. Signs of a very hard early life?

7 hours ago, Zelrik911 said:

Yeah - I wondered about this too.

OK, so it went into the workshop for a gearbox fix (that the Factory caused??) and ended up with a motor rebuild as well. Signs of a very hard early life?

Perhaps one of the past owners was a boost junkie. How else do you kill a drive train in 130,000 kms?

6 hours ago, firstone said:

I imagine a ph call to autohaus would clear it up.

Where's the fun in that?

On 8/20/2018 at 8:08 PM, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

Perhaps one of the past owners was a boost junkie. How else do you kill a drive train in 130,000 kms?

Where's the fun in that?

Notice the dyno sheet is before the engine rebuild 

On 8/19/2018 at 7:07 PM, JWM said:

Service book is interesting for that one. Lots of bouncing around between Weltmeister, Jocaro and Hartech. Surely there's gotta be a story to that or changing hands quite often.

7 hours ago, Mike737 said:

Notice the dyno sheet is before the engine rebuild 

Service book is interesting for that one. Lots of bouncing around between Weltmeister, Jocaro and Hartech. Surely there's gotta be a story to that or changing hands quite often.

Maybe just shopping around for the best price each time?

On 8/20/2018 at 6:08 PM, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

Where's the fun in that?

Not boost junkies perhaps.  Heck of a lot of cash been put into that car with very good bolton  parts as I see it. The 996 turbo is so tunable  for easy increases in power and torque and  sure these mezgers are bullet proof at stock power and torque levels but   Tlhey  arent that bullet proof when you go beyond a certain level in the tweaking department.  eg epoxied cooling lines into the motor aint ideal and with a little outlay on bolton's  and in the hands of the wrong tuner the stock rods have been known to bend at power / torque levels  at only circa 500 plus hp.

Also do your homework.  That's crap calling out out the drivetrain all went at 130k  I posted two comments months ago on that car when it came up for sale  Eg I  read the invoices line by line and the dates on the invoices  eg gearbox had an issue well before when the engine done if you actually take the time to read the invoices .  The gearboxes arent that bullet proof either eg 2nd gear synchro under load from factory like other twin turbo cars can be an issue with low kms.  On paper a great car for the cash if a rebuilt motor doesn't scare you.  But for me I would be all over who tuned it.  Eg my experience with blown engine / drive trains /  turbos on twin turbo euros  is too much torque at low rpms with with tune not conservative enough to match the lack of thought on impact of  bolton's  and piss poor preventative maintenance coupled with IO error eg lazy gear changing in high gear and stomping on it  or not warming up and cooling down turbos and then smashing it.  Eg factory rods and clutches  on some  euro Mark's seem to get out of shape at circa 500hp / to  numbers

PS if your a boost junky and not interested in keeping it stock.  If you have to drop the drive train  for any reason  ( research how many hours to drop and bolt back a 996 turbo drive train  in at $150 plus an hr) it's an absolute no brainer to go above 500 hp eg upgraded clutch, turbos tune  intercoolers and everything else that goes with that and preventative maintenance  items and if you are upgrading injectors, then you look and rods and cooling pipes.  Dollars add up quick.  Eg can spend more dollars on rubber hoses and boost valves than getting an ims sorted just on partsm

If tuned well and checks out, and your into driving ( even if the boost gauge never saw the additional circa  1 bar of boost available beyond 0.2 bar a lot car for the money) take that all day every day over a low kilometer 4s or x51 if your into driving and not worried about resale for very little incremental cost.

So do you think autohaus are crap at wrenching perhaps and they and the owner that paid the invoices have nfi what they were going   eg that built motor and the matching Bolton parts  is far more capable of handling anything up to and beyond  500 plus hp / 500 ft tq than a low km stock motor with the right tuning.  If you brought it you don't have to be smashing out 1.3 bar on the boost gauge.  Eg very enjoyable driving in vacuum or minimal boost  like a na if well setup and looked after. But unlike a pristine x51 or 4s there is no way that they can match that shove in the seat that one would get from an occasional right foot boost hit seeing over 1 bar on the boost gauge.  Focus on where that car sits right now as opposed to where it was at vs the price.  Ps some of us with 996 to think stock 996 tts are rubbish to drive compared to a tweaked one and the mezger is  far from bullet proof when you start tweaking and mucking around with turbos