996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

19 minutes ago, DT said:

Mine's a March 99 build with cable throttle and clear lenses. 

From what I've read the changeover to single row started happening somewhere in the 2000 year.

I thought it was swapped out in mid 99.

There are so many contradicting sources it's hard to know what to believe.

Some sites talk in term of model years. Some go by production date. It's enough to drive one to drink.

The ad talks of a 12 month warranty Aus wide. Is that worth anything when you're interstate?

Just to throw a spanner in the works.....how about a cool 993 for $20k more ?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1994/SSE-AD-3681672/?_ga=2.213690836.1586166490.1522819324-38917508.1518497050

You get the benefits of modern comforts (aircon, bluetooth) yet the coolness of a classic Porsche.

(oh yes, it's mine for sale)

1 hour ago, ByronBayChris said:

Just to throw a spanner in the works.....how about a cool 993 for $20k more ?

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-1994/SSE-AD-3681672/?_ga=2.213690836.1586166490.1522819324-38917508.1518497050

You get the benefits of modern comforts (aircon, bluetooth) yet the coolness of a classic Porsche.

(oh yes, it's mine for sale)

the 996 mentioned is $55k, yours is $35k higher! and auto compared to manual.... just being objective, your car does look great btw

Gents,

The engine number for the 99 above is M960466Y02371.

What kind of bearing would this have? 

I can't quite make heads or tails of the number above with the format in Pelican Parts' lookup table half way through this article - https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/14-ENGINE-Intermediate_Shaft_Bearing/14-ENGINE-Intermediate_Shaft_Bearing.htm

The article talks of numbers with 661. Is that a US model designation?

The 02371 is certainly within range.

Engine Number

Model Bearing Type
Up to engine # M 651 12851 Boxster 2.7L M96.22 Double Row Bearing
Up to engine # M 671 11237 Boxster S 3.2L M96.21 Double Row Bearing
Up to engine # M 661 14164 Carrera 996 3.4L Double Row Bearing

5 hours ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

Gents,

The engine number for the 99 above is M960466Y02371.

What kind of bearing would this have? 

I can't quite make heads or tails of the number above with the format in Pelican Parts' lookup table half way through this article - https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/14-ENGINE-Intermediate_Shaft_Bearing/14-ENGINE-Intermediate_Shaft_Bearing.htm

The article talks of numbers with 661. Is that a US model designation?

The 02371 is certainly within range.

Engine Number

Model Bearing Type
Up to engine # M 651 12851 Boxster 2.7L M96.22 Double Row Bearing
Up to engine # M 671 11237 Boxster S 3.2L M96.21 Double Row Bearing
Up to engine # M 661 14164 Carrera 996 3.4L Double Row Bearing

According to the below doc from the Porsche Club GB the engine is a MY 2000 and yes according to the Pelican Parts doc it does appear to be a dual row.

http://www.porscheclubgb.org/clientftp/Register/996/faq_engine_transmission_codes.pdf

So it appears the swap to single row bearing happened somewhere in the MY 2001. But still unclear exactly when the swap from cable throttle to 'e-gas' occured.

44 minutes ago, DT said:

According to the below doc from the Porsche Club GB the engine is a MY 2000 and yes according to the Pelican Parts doc it does appear to be a dual row.

http://www.porscheclubgb.org/clientftp/Register/996/faq_engine_transmission_codes.pdf

So it appears the swap to single row bearing happened somewhere in the MY 2001. But still unclear exactly when the swap from cable throttle to 'e-gas' occured.

What's more resilient, single row or double row?

i thought e-gas was just 99 onwards ( i.e. after the first batch of yellow light 98's).

Personally, when i was testdriving, mainly 98's vs 02's, i found the throttle cable version a lot "stickier" and not as smooth. Which probably meant either the cable needed changing or the throttle pedal needed lubing (which is quite common on all).

I personally couldn't feel the difference in "response" between egas/throttle cable versions. 

look at this one!

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/welshpool/cars-vans-utes/porsche-911-996-2000-rare-x51-gemballa-modifications/1178807929

x51  :)

13 hours ago, quasio said:

i thought e-gas was just 99 onwards ( i.e. after the first batch of yellow light 98's).

Personally, when i was testdriving, mainly 98's vs 02's, i found the throttle cable version a lot "stickier" and not as smooth. Which probably meant either the cable needed changing or the throttle pedal needed lubing (which is quite common on all).

I personally couldn't feel the difference in "response" between egas/throttle cable versions. 

look at this one!

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/welshpool/cars-vans-utes/porsche-911-996-2000-rare-x51-gemballa-modifications/1178807929

x51  :)

My 99 with clear lenses is definitely cable. It's always been super smooth and responsive which surprised me given the distance from the pedal. But I've never driven an e gas so can't compare...would love to though, do a side by side, see if there is any perceptible difference. My feeling is Porsche would've tried very hard to make sure there wasn't and/or improve on it. Apples and oranges, but I do know the cable throttle response on my Pug 205gti was razor sharp, whereas the e throttle on my Clio 182 is like a good electric shaver, close but still a bit furry.

I have a mate - first time Porsche buyer - looking at the silver cab C4S (manual) on CS today and trying to comprehend 'value' of the C4S over a normal C2 cabrio. Has anyone here looked at it? (perhaps someone here owns it?)

anything to look out for in particular on a C4S?

cheers

40 minutes ago, 356993??? said:

I have a mate - first time Porsche buyer - looking at the silver cab C4S (manual) on CS today and trying to comprehend 'value' of the C4S over a normal C2 cabrio. Has anyone here looked at it? (perhaps someone here owns it?)

cheers

If nothing else if ims hasn't been done you could knock them down on price,if you look at any others post it on here in advance as I had a couple inspected and I could share that info with you.

4 minutes ago, 356993??? said:

Thanks Marty - if the IMS hasn't been done (car only has 54,000kms) what $ is it to do? (to factor into negotiation)

IMS solution is about $4,500-$5,000 installed

IMS Retrofit (replacement bearing only) about $1,000 less

if it needs a new clutch the additional cost if you do it at the same time is mainly just parts

1 hour ago, 356993??? said:

cheers

The 4S series have the turbo body and turbo brakes. All cabs came with the hard top roof as standard and not an 11k option that some vendors spruke and try to use as a sweetener but for some reason a lot of them seem to go missing or are sold off separately .

2 hours ago, 356993??? said:

Thanks Rod C

update: car was below expectations in condition and service records. It's left him disheartened and still looking for a manual cab (in genuinely good condition with service history)

Does it have to be a cab??

11 minutes ago, 356993??? said:

I asked him the same...yes only a cab, in manual, Oz delivered.

What about the black one here in vic on CS 85km's just under $66k?looks like a bow dealer sale.

That should read BMW dealer

42 minutes ago, D2000 said:

This one looks the goods. Remember it being on the market maybe six months ago with the same photos. Not sure why it didn’t sell then

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2002/SSE-AD-3597925

Rego paid til 2016! Wow that’s a good deal ? I’m sure just a typo hehe