996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

1 hour ago, D2000 said:

Which will continue to depreciate I would think, whereas the 996 may not (or not as much)

Works for me, want a Cayman and don’t want to get rid of the 996 to get it. Now to search gumtree for that $10k cayman! 

Be interesting to see if the 996 market cools as the housing prices do. Since I got mine about 12 months ago it’s probaby increased a little.

6 hours ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

It all depends on how bad do you want to scratch that 911 itch @Dave986

996s are only getting older. You would think it will only become harder to find a good one going forward.

That said, with the deteriorating conditions in the stock & property markets - you might just find some bargains coming onto the market.

It's a big itch. ?

7 hours ago, D2000 said:

Which will continue to depreciate I would think, whereas the 996 may not (or not as much)

This is probs true but I'm not buying this as an investment. 

23 minutes ago, Dave986 said:

This is probs true but I'm not buying this as an investment. 

Good lad ?????

8 hours ago, Dave986 said:

Yeah, thanks (again) @PhilH. I’m considering offering him $43k without the stereo (well he says it’s worth $7k!!), get him to remove that suss radar rubbish, which would cover putting in IMS and clutch plus a service.

Then again, for similar $$ I could get a Cayman S...

From his past ad to current, I'd say there's no chance of $43k, yet stranger things have happened. 

Tough call which car to buy with a Cayman S or a 996. Personally, maybe the 996 has a bit more room in it and it's a 911, yet the Cayman would handle a bit better I imagine. It all depends what floats ya boat I spose. Having driven both now and as much as I do like Caymans, I'd grab a 996 

29 minutes ago, Dave986 said:

@LeeM I have this sneaking suspicion that if I bought a Cayman (as sweet as they are) in the deepest parts of my soul I’ll regret not grabbing a 996. 

Yep.. just get a 996 when you can they are a ripper of a car that can be driven in all conditions 

1 hour ago, Dave986 said:

@LeeM I have this sneaking suspicion that if I bought a Cayman (as sweet as they are) in the deepest parts of my soul I’ll regret not grabbing a 996. 

I'm sort of grappling with the reverse of this.  Having just bought a 981 Boxster to replace our 987.1 manual Boxster S, I'm seriously considering whether I sell my 996 and keep the 987 S to turn it into a Boxrod.  Financially it makes sense given what a Boxrod would owe me after I pay the lease residual and do some performance mods (susp, exhaust and induction, nothing internal), and what I would get for the 996 and pay off debt, but I do grapple with the fact that I have a 996 (a really good one I think), and may never get another one if I sell it.  However, it would keep the powder a bit dry if I was in a position to look at a GT3, so would have some immediate funds I could get hold of.  Decision, decisions.......?

1 hour ago, James P said:

Yep.. just get a 996 when you can they are a ripper of a car that can be driven in all conditions 

If you can stretch the budget make it a manual 996tt.  It's a rocket that also has fantastic handling capabilities. 

5 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I'm sort of grappling with the reverse of this.  Having just bought a 981 Boxster to replace our 987.1 manual Boxster S, I'm seriously considering whether I sell my 996 and keep the 987 S to turn it into a Boxrod.  Financially it makes sense given what a Boxrod would owe me after I pay the lease residual and do some performance mods (susp, exhaust and induction, nothing internal), and what I would get for the 996 and pay off debt, but I do grapple with the fact that I have a 996 (a really good one I think), and may never get another one if I sell it.  However, it would keep the powder a bit dry if I was in a position to look at a GT3, so would have some immediate funds I could get hold of.  Decision, decisions.......?

Surely your suspension is old and worn and leaking, the exhaust has pin holes and a shot high cel (not high flow yet) cat and your air intake system has a blockage.  Surely maintenance items that need addressing to make the boxster  trackworthy (oops roadworthy) in accordance with provisions of the lease that all need to be replaced  and claimed just before you buy the lease out.  What about the tyres and the gutter rashed  rims  Eg replacement semi slicks with a buy now invoice me please and will get those installed later and a set of replacement rims  (used with a new set of wheel studs) were far more economical that  gutter rash repairs.  Me thinks why is not getting  it boxed rodded before the lease is up noteworthy for consideration.   Eg what's gst and pretax dollars worth on those required maintenance parts to you.

6 hours ago, smit2100 said:

Surely your suspension is old and worn and leaking, the exhaust has pin holes and a shot high cel (not high flow yet) cat and your air intake system has a blockage.  Surely maintenance items that need addressing to make the boxster  trackworthy (oops roadworthy) in accordance with provisions of the lease that all need to be replaced  and claimed just before you buy the lease out.  What about the tyres and the gutter rashed  rims  Eg replacement semi slicks with a buy now invoice me please and will get those installed later and a set of replacement rims  (used with a new set of wheel studs) were far more economical that  gutter rash repairs.  Me thinks why is not getting  it boxed rodded before the lease is up noteworthy for consideration.   Eg what's gst and pretax dollars worth on those required maintenance parts to you.

Know what you're getting at?  Left it a bit late I'm afraid, and not enough funds left in the package account (wife's) to do all those things.  She wants her new car, which, if the finance company and Maxxia get their shit together, means I could pick it up Saturday - I have a spot on the boat just in case the planets align......

On 10/24/2018 at 9:31 AM, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

It all depends on how bad do you want to scratch that 911 itch @Dave986

996s are only getting older. You would think it will only become harder to find a good one going forward.

That said, with the deteriorating conditions in the stock & property markets - you might just find some bargains coming onto the market.

Bargins? Since disco sold his 996 people are trying to get near on 70k for cars with @ 150k kms 

On 10/24/2018 at 4:40 PM, LeeM said:

Good lad ?????

From his past ad to current, I'd say there's no chance of $43k, yet stranger things have happened. 

Tough call which car to buy with a Cayman S or a 996. Personally, maybe the 996 has a bit more room in it and it's a 911, yet the Cayman would handle a bit better I imagine. It all depends what floats ya boat I spose. Having driven both now and as much as I do like Caymans, I'd grab a 996 

Yep, have been searching for my 1st Porsche for too long now. With a budget of 55k a 996 seems to be getting out of reach unless it's a tip or convertible or both. I do like the Caymans and this price point would get me a manual. Not sure if I could go a tip 996 for my weekend toy and the iconic shape of a 911 means no rag top for me. That's what Boxsters are for. My brother keeps talking me into a Boxster. Running out of patience ?

I was looking for about a year. A lot of cars came and went. One or two really good ones disappeared in a flash before I could even think about them; while others just stay for months. The market works like that I guess. I reckon it was @symsy who posted about looking broadly and being ready to pounce quickly when a good one came up - turns out he was bang on the money. I saw one pop up briefly on Carsales then gumtree and drop not long after I enquired. I thought I’d missed out again but I got lucky as it was being moved from a major dealer to smaller outfit.

Got a 1998 C2 manual coupe for 40k. 149k on the clock and full service history from a Porsche dealer. Dealer could have made more from me but I bought it sight unseen before he had it listed. I got lucky but they are out there.

7 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Got a 1998 C2 manual coupe for 40k. 149k on the clock and full service history from a Porsche dealer. Dealer could have made more from me but I bought it sight unseen before he had it listed. I got lucky but they are out there.

I take my hat off to people who buy once expensive toys sight unseen to scratch an itch.

Worse thing happens I suppose you pretend you lost $40,000 on the stock market.

2 hours ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

I take my hat off to people who buy once expensive toys sight unseen to scratch an itch.

Actually $35k over the last week ?  Hopefully bounce back today, as they say, you haven't lost anything 'til you sell...

4 hours ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

I haven't sighted in the flesh my last three cars of which two aren't going anywhere anytime soon.  Eg scratch is itched.  Took two years to find my 996.  Never driven a p car car before until the Mrs handed me over the keys to it.  But definitely not purchased to scratch an itch eg more like a boost addiction, but plenty of research done  on what to buy, look out for and more importantly what to mod cost effectively and what preventative parts to have on my shelf for the long haul.  Eg stock exhaust gone within 30 minutes of total seat time in my 996 and tune not so long after that.

Just a view but need to jump in quick when the 80/20 rule applies on something in terms of ticking  the boxes spec and colour wise  and condition from pics and initial advertised price,  but should  ideally ask for a PPi to have  as a price negotiation tool to try and get you closer to wholesale pricing  as well as a little  bit of quality assurance and know what your up for on your in terms of service costs and items that need addressing.

On 25 October 2018 at 22:49, Morpheus said:

I was looking for about a year. A lot of cars came and went. One or two really good ones disappeared in a flash before I could even think about them; while others just stay for months. The market works like that I guess. I reckon it was @symsy who posted about looking broadly and being ready to pounce quickly when a good one came up - turns out he was bang on the money. I saw one pop up briefly on Carsales then gumtree and drop not long after I enquired. I thought I’d missed out again but I got lucky as it was being moved from a major dealer to smaller outfit.

Congrats

10 minutes ago, ScottyP said:

Pretty sure CTS sold this same car 18-months ago. Advertised price at the time was $85k. 

Was just chatting with a contact at Dutton’s who now own CTS and he said you would be surprised at how many cars they recycle for customers through trade ups or cash in situations.