996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

4 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Sensible? What's that Lee? I mentioned in an off the cuff comment months back I'd probably put my 996 on the market and I had 8 PM's and 4 offers in 1 hour ...

Just a couple of 996 teasers on here ??

1 hour ago, Troubleshooter said:

Sensible? What's that Lee? I mentioned in an off the cuff comment months back I'd probably put my 996 on the market and I had 8 PM's and 4 offers in 1 hour ...

@Troubleshooter No idea mate

As an enthusiast who still can't fathom why cars like these things (and most other marques) continue to go up in price, the mind boggles as to what reasonably priced actually is

I've looked at a few 966's locally at $50k to $60k both private and dealer sellers, and I can say hand on heart they are not even close to the condition of the black car I was going to buy for close to $40k. The seller knows what 996's are selling for, yet he priced his at what he, and I, called reasonable. $30k is 'cheap', '$60k is 'whatever you want to call it'. I was offered a near mint seal grey 996 with 80,000km and meticulously maintained for $40k only a year ago, where now the same car would probably command $60k, so why have they gone up by $20k in a year? No idea

I completely understand why a 996 is now so popular after driving one, and anyone who owns one now should hang onto it, as they're what I would call one of, if not the best cars on the market in the $40-60k range. Much better than an air cooled if you want to own a Porsche that is silly fast yet comfortable (sorry air cooled guys, but it's true) not to mention cheaper, yet for me personally, I love my old shitter that I can work on myself and I prefer the look of the old 911's which is partly why I didn't buy the black one

20 hours ago, LeeM said:

I completely understand why a 996 is now so popular after driving one, and anyone who owns one now should hang onto it, as they're what I would call one of, if not the best cars on the market in the $40-60k range. Much better than an air cooled if you want to own a Porsche that is silly fast yet comfortable (sorry air cooled guys, but it's true) not to mention cheaper

Very true.. if you have a good one they are awesome cars for the money 

49 minutes ago, DT said:

I've found most jobs on my mk1 996 surprisingly DIY-able...granted I haven't had the engine/gearbox apart, but most everything else is pretty basic. Just as 'fun' as working on my '67 Alfa shitter, and much less rust.

Same as me, as easy as my old 92' Mercedes.

I've done a few jobs on my 996: shifter, interior parts, engine mounts, starter, exhaust, suspension parts, AOS to bank 1 hose, interior, dension install, front bumper clean out & starter cable (on a fellow PFA-ers car). All straight forward and plenty of info in the factory manual or online too.

Somethings I gave up on or didn't even try and had the dealership do: slave & master cylinders, clutch assistance spring (absolute PITA), new clutch kit, water pump & coolant tank. 

12 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

Same as me, as easy as my old 92' Mercedes.

I've done a few jobs on my 996: shifter, interior parts, engine mounts, starter, exhaust, suspension parts, AOS to bank 1 hose, interior, dension install, front bumper clean out & starter cable (on a fellow PFA-ers car). All straight forward and plenty of info in the factory manual or online too.

Somethings I gave up on or didn't even try and had the dealership do: slave & master cylinders, clutch assistance spring (absolute PITA), new clutch kit, water pump & coolant tank. 

You've almost done a total resto on the ol' gal Dan!

1 hour ago, Troubleshooter said:

You've almost done a total resto on the ol' gal Dan!

Unfortunately! Some things I didn't list: O2 sensors, coils, coolant flush, trans/dif flush and of course brake fluid every two years! Ugh never ends - but I do love it... Had the major done at PCM a few weeks ago too. Could have easily done it myself but wanted to keep the book up to date.

6 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Well you know you can rely on your trusted mechanic - you! How'd you go with engineering those engine mounts?

indeed! Haven't sourced a failed set as yet - the ones I removed are too good to cut up! Hopefully a pair will turn up soon :) 

The 996 is a very easy car to work on apart from the engine internals that require special tooling (my one is currently in at Auto Coupe for IMS & other internal engine work)

I have done water pump, engine mounts, suspension shocks, all the disks / pads & fixed up interior bits & full service.. all easy to work on & do  

On 14/11/2018 at 00:16, LeeM said:

@Troubleshooter No idea mate

As an enthusiast who still can't fathom why cars like these things (and most other marques) continue to go up in price, the mind boggles as to what reasonably priced actually is

I was offered a near mint seal grey 996 with 80,000km and meticulously maintained for $40k only a year ago, where now the same car would probably command $60k, so why have they gone up by $20k in a year? No idea

I too have been wondering why the prices have gone up so much.

18 years ago, I sold my 3 owner Australian delivered '76 911s with 222km for $18k - boy do I wish I had that in my shed now. Well, actually if I had it, I would sell it. I liked it, but I personally think they are a bit too old to be practical. I didn't like the lack of air, the pre-unleaded smell, the bump crash handling. And it wasn't all that reliable either. But, I do (did) miss the whole 911 experience - it's like nothing else on the road. 

About 7 or 8 years ago a friend of mine was looking to buy a one owner 964 C4 in white with 9km for about $55k. I was saying to him, that I felt my BMW 335i was a better car for about the same money. It was quicker, had more room, more practical, felt (was) a lot newer. Now, who was right? - he has well and truely doubled his money. During the same time, my once new 335, has lost $100k.

A few months ago I started getting the itch for a 911, but just couldn't justify the high price, so I posted on Bimmerpost forum on 911 values

I just couldn't see why an 11 year old 997 could be worth the same as a 2 year old BMW M3. But the reality is it's all about supply and demand - they aren't making 996's anymore - light weight, flat six sound and feel, yet reasonably new and comfortable enough to easily drive everyday. 

Anyway, I must have FOMO, so I just had to join the 911 club, here's a photo: https://imgur.com/a/Cka9n5X

On 13/11/2018 at 19:47, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

How many enquiries did you get?

We should probably run a book on this... I'm going to go with 14.

I was one of them. I wish when I mentioned my Boxster could be for sale (to purchase a 996) I got the level of enthusiasm 😪

31 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

The black car has gone to its new home . New owner could not be happier 

8B6E405E-4B11-4590-883B-F70BEF99609B.jpeg

Good stuff Paul, tell Kym congrats and glad he's happy with it. I saw him on Belair road today around 12.45 (picking it up from the sellers work maybe?) and I swear he had a big smile on his face 😁 Looks great on the road

5 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Good stuff Paul, tell Lyn congrats and glad he's happy with it. I saw him on Belair road today around 12.45 (picking it up from the sellers work maybe?) and I swear he had a big smile on his face 😁 Looks great on the road

Yep he couldn’t help himself had to go and belt it through the hills he said it drives like new . That was cheap buying that car