MARTY

996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

40 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Wonderful news Stephen!

A 996 I guess?

Yes Pete, 3.6 manual, i haven't got the finish line tape wrapped around my waste yet but all should be good very soon and all will be revealed. Getting a bit excited now.

29 minutes ago, Mttel said:

Often though that this one could be worth a closer look. If it’s been done right and there was a bit of wriggle room could be a decent pick up

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2001-Porsche-911-Carrera-4-996-Auto-AWD/SSE-AD-5229233?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-5229233

Written off and partial history is a lot of red flags.... it’s been for sale for quite some tume too, it would probably need to be a lot closer to $30k imo

3 hours ago, Mttel said:

Often though that this one could be worth a closer look. If it’s been done right and there was a bit of wriggle room could be a decent pick up

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2001-Porsche-911-Carrera-4-996-Auto-AWD/SSE-AD-5229233?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-5229233

If memory serves me right this one started off at about $50000 with no mention of being in an accident in the description with only partial history too I’m with @JLD I would be paying low $30’s and then you are taking a chance thinking of resale value.

6 hours ago, Mttel said:

Looks to be an Mk1 dressed up as a Mk2 too. So a creative repair

6 hours ago, D2000 said:

Looks to be an Mk1 dressed up as a Mk2 too. So a creative repair

Crafty repair...

Also not a genuine windscreen - damaged as well perhaps...

On 18/12/2018 at 18:09, D2000 said:

MK2 Targa with freshly rebuilt engine.  Great price if an AU car:  https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-2003/SSE-AD-5826876/?Cr=10

My guess is the IMS let go but it was caught before it totally screwed the motor - that rebuild would have cost a packet & owner wants out. Didnt think Targas  sold new here at that time?

Be interesting to see how quick it sells.

Targas are oddly priced some ask a premium and others like this are almost being given away, seems too cheap for a completely rebuilt engine.

Have read the Targa roof parts can be very expensive though.

7 hours ago, dan_189 said:

Targas are oddly priced some ask a premium and others like this are almost being given away, seems too cheap for a completely rebuilt engine.

Have read the Targa roof parts can be very expensive though.

Discussed some of these points with Scott at Autohaus when I was buying my 996.2 this time last year  He said that when new, Tiptronic, Targa and Cabrio were all significantly more expensive than the "base" manual C2 coupe.  Nowadays, the manual C2 coupe is generally worth more than any of the others.......

On 14/12/2018 at 23:31, Mttel said:

On 15/12/2018 at 00:01, JLD said:

Written off and partial history is a lot of red flags.... it’s been for sale for quite some tume too, it would probably need to be a lot closer to $30k imo

@Harsh

Thanks for the heads up..........not too fussed if the repair has been done okay,not worried about resale,just want a 'bunky' to run around in. But would be offering less than asking price!

6 hours ago, Harsh said:

Thanks for the heads up..........not too fussed if the repair has been done okay,not worried about resale,just want a 'bunky' to run around in. But would be offering less than asking price!

Let me know if you need some eyes on it, as I'm on holidays for coupla weeks

Wish to add that the SA inspection mob are very thorough with repairable write off's, so it would have been looked at very closely and ALL receipts for parts and work need to be produced or they won't inspect it. It's not too far from me, so I can zip over there reasonably easily 

IMG_8753%20003_zpsas541kkz.jpg

Having bought my midnight blue 996.2 GT3 a few months back, I thought I'd go through my old 'Unique Cars' mags to see if I could find it having previously been advertised (yes, I'm one of those sickos who still has every car mag I've ever purchased!).

I couldn't find mine, but I did find the only other midnight blue one delivered to Aus. The mag was around mid 2006.  

Given that there were a heap of other 996's on the page, I thought I'd share it 1) because some of the prices are really interesting, and 2) you never know, but another PFA'er might spot their 996 here!!

23 minutes ago, Rick V said:

IMG_8753%20003_zpsas541kkz.jpg

Having bought my midnight blue 996.2 GT3 a few months back, I thought I'd go through my old 'Unique Cars' mags to see if I could find it having previously been advertised (yes, I'm one of those sickos who still has every car mag I've ever purchased!).

I couldn't find mine, but I did find the only other midnight blue one delivered to Aus. The mag was around mid 2006.  

Given that there were a heap of other 996's on the page, I thought I'd share it 1) because some of the prices are really interesting, and 2) you never know, but another PFA'er might spot their 996 here!!

You're not alone there mate ...

I did the same thing with my 911 .. it is 1 of 2 delivered in its colour and I also found an advert for the other one for sale but not for mine ... still cool to see though .. 

Turbos more than GT3’s, Boxster and Cayennes similarly priced and not much below some 911s. Crazy days.

16 hours ago, D2000 said:

Agree, not bad price at all. I really like the interior colour tho not sure about the woodgrain highlights 🤔 It seems like one Porsche limited edition that didn't quite hit the mark for future collectors maybe? Could it be because it's based on a C4 and these days most people are chasing the C2

During the hunt for my 1st Pcar I have found while making inquiries about service history that all is not what it seems. I get told car looked after, up to date service records etc etc. All stamped by w/shops and when you look closer some haven't had a major service or spark plugs for 6-7yrs 🤔 Some cars haven't done many km during that time tho. What would be considered acceptable to drag majors out to? Too many basic yearly inspections. Perhaps just doing things on the cheap. Puzzled 

17 hours ago, PDean said:

Agree, not bad price at all. I really like the interior colour tho not sure about the woodgrain highlights 🤔 It seems like one Porsche limited edition that didn't quite hit the mark for future collectors maybe? Could it be because it's based on a C4 and these days most people are chasing the C2

During the hunt for my 1st Pcar I have found while making inquiries about service history that all is not what it seems. I get told car looked after, up to date service records etc etc. All stamped by w/shops and when you look closer some haven't had a major service or spark plugs for 6-7yrs 🤔 Some cars haven't done many km during that time tho. What would be considered acceptable to drag majors out to? Too many basic yearly inspections. Perhaps just doing things on the cheap. Puzzled 

I’m no expert but I would have thought that as long as it has had regular oil changes it should be ok. You’ll just be up for a bit of maintenance (plugs, coils, etc) straight away if you want your car running at its best. 

I imagjne people get that way because they are not driving their cars much and can’t justify the cost for the km of a major service - they’d prefer to think in terms of kms rather than time/kms