996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

29 minutes ago, Mttel said:

Often though that this one could be worth a closer look. If it’s been done right and there was a bit of wriggle room could be a decent pick up

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2001-Porsche-911-Carrera-4-996-Auto-AWD/SSE-AD-5229233?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-5229233

Written off and partial history is a lot of red flags.... it’s been for sale for quite some tume too, it would probably need to be a lot closer to $30k imo

3 hours ago, Mttel said:

Often though that this one could be worth a closer look. If it’s been done right and there was a bit of wriggle room could be a decent pick up

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2001-Porsche-911-Carrera-4-996-Auto-AWD/SSE-AD-5229233?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-5229233

If memory serves me right this one started off at about $50000 with no mention of being in an accident in the description with only partial history too I’m with @JLD I would be paying low $30’s and then you are taking a chance thinking of resale value.

6 hours ago, Mttel said:

Looks to be an Mk1 dressed up as a Mk2 too. So a creative repair

On 18/12/2018 at 18:09, D2000 said:

MK2 Targa with freshly rebuilt engine.  Great price if an AU car:  https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-2003/SSE-AD-5826876/?Cr=10

My guess is the IMS let go but it was caught before it totally screwed the motor - that rebuild would have cost a packet & owner wants out. Didnt think Targas  sold new here at that time?

Be interesting to see how quick it sells.

7 hours ago, dan_189 said:

Targas are oddly priced some ask a premium and others like this are almost being given away, seems too cheap for a completely rebuilt engine.

Have read the Targa roof parts can be very expensive though.

Discussed some of these points with Scott at Autohaus when I was buying my 996.2 this time last year  He said that when new, Tiptronic, Targa and Cabrio were all significantly more expensive than the "base" manual C2 coupe.  Nowadays, the manual C2 coupe is generally worth more than any of the others.......

On 14/12/2018 at 23:31, Mttel said:

On 15/12/2018 at 00:01, JLD said:

Written off and partial history is a lot of red flags.... it’s been for sale for quite some tume too, it would probably need to be a lot closer to $30k imo

@Harsh

6 hours ago, Harsh said:

Thanks for the heads up..........not too fussed if the repair has been done okay,not worried about resale,just want a 'bunky' to run around in. But would be offering less than asking price!

Let me know if you need some eyes on it, as I'm on holidays for coupla weeks

Wish to add that the SA inspection mob are very thorough with repairable write off's, so it would have been looked at very closely and ALL receipts for parts and work need to be produced or they won't inspect it. It's not too far from me, so I can zip over there reasonably easily 

IMG_8753%20003_zpsas541kkz.jpg

Having bought my midnight blue 996.2 GT3 a few months back, I thought I'd go through my old 'Unique Cars' mags to see if I could find it having previously been advertised (yes, I'm one of those sickos who still has every car mag I've ever purchased!).

I couldn't find mine, but I did find the only other midnight blue one delivered to Aus. The mag was around mid 2006.  

Given that there were a heap of other 996's on the page, I thought I'd share it 1) because some of the prices are really interesting, and 2) you never know, but another PFA'er might spot their 996 here!!

23 minutes ago, Rick V said:

IMG_8753%20003_zpsas541kkz.jpg

Having bought my midnight blue 996.2 GT3 a few months back, I thought I'd go through my old 'Unique Cars' mags to see if I could find it having previously been advertised (yes, I'm one of those sickos who still has every car mag I've ever purchased!).

I couldn't find mine, but I did find the only other midnight blue one delivered to Aus. The mag was around mid 2006.  

Given that there were a heap of other 996's on the page, I thought I'd share it 1) because some of the prices are really interesting, and 2) you never know, but another PFA'er might spot their 996 here!!

You're not alone there mate ...

I did the same thing with my 911 .. it is 1 of 2 delivered in its colour and I also found an advert for the other one for sale but not for mine ... still cool to see though .. 

16 hours ago, D2000 said:

Agree, not bad price at all. I really like the interior colour tho not sure about the woodgrain highlights 🤔 It seems like one Porsche limited edition that didn't quite hit the mark for future collectors maybe? Could it be because it's based on a C4 and these days most people are chasing the C2

During the hunt for my 1st Pcar I have found while making inquiries about service history that all is not what it seems. I get told car looked after, up to date service records etc etc. All stamped by w/shops and when you look closer some haven't had a major service or spark plugs for 6-7yrs 🤔 Some cars haven't done many km during that time tho. What would be considered acceptable to drag majors out to? Too many basic yearly inspections. Perhaps just doing things on the cheap. Puzzled 

17 hours ago, PDean said:

Agree, not bad price at all. I really like the interior colour tho not sure about the woodgrain highlights 🤔 It seems like one Porsche limited edition that didn't quite hit the mark for future collectors maybe? Could it be because it's based on a C4 and these days most people are chasing the C2

During the hunt for my 1st Pcar I have found while making inquiries about service history that all is not what it seems. I get told car looked after, up to date service records etc etc. All stamped by w/shops and when you look closer some haven't had a major service or spark plugs for 6-7yrs 🤔 Some cars haven't done many km during that time tho. What would be considered acceptable to drag majors out to? Too many basic yearly inspections. Perhaps just doing things on the cheap. Puzzled 

I’m no expert but I would have thought that as long as it has had regular oil changes it should be ok. You’ll just be up for a bit of maintenance (plugs, coils, etc) straight away if you want your car running at its best. 

I imagjne people get that way because they are not driving their cars much and can’t justify the cost for the km of a major service - they’d prefer to think in terms of kms rather than time/kms

18 hours ago, PDean said:

…... when you look closer some haven't had a major service or spark plugs for 6-7yrs 🤔 Some cars haven't done many km during that time tho. What would be considered acceptable to drag majors out to? Too many basic yearly inspections. Perhaps just doing things on the cheap. Puzzled 

Assuming it's not got to the kilometre service interval limit, you'd have to ask the question about how long the engine has been run when it does get started.  If the answer is that it is always run until it is good and thoroughly hot, I wouldn't be too worried.  If the answer is that it is started and only idled for 5 minutes before shutdown, I'd expect to see more corrosion internally and maybe some extra wear.  Enough to cause real concern? Probably not but just another consideration to mull over and at worst, a reason to pull a cam cover to check.  (You'll be no doubt checking the oil filler cap for a white foamy residue as another clue anyway.)

Also remember Porsche probably specified oil changes 2 yearly or 20,000km at that time and our habit that oil needs to be changed annually has, far far more often than not, little factual justification except buyers expect to see at least an annual change. 

As for spark plugs, they're not time affected so not an issue but I really like to see valve clearances checked within the km limit specification.

If you are still concerned, you could always shout the seller a service under the understanding that if the mechanic finds something during the service that is concerning the deal is off and your deposit is returned. 

Sorry, I don't think there is a definite answer and unfortunately a decision has to be made on balance of a number of considerations.

Good luck!

So I took this for a squirt today for a member here. Nice car, drove the same as any other 996's I've driven but it's a tip (more on that later). 

Some minor paint blemishes that are easily fixed (unless you're mega picky, then go buy something else for a lot more cash), yet overall a clean car with a service history over the past 2-3 years every 2000kms. Only has 81,000kms on the clock, so a similar condition manual car would probably be double the price. If you're like me and cant afford the best of the best, this car is great value if you (like me) dont really care about future values etc, as it's all about driving and enjoying it NOW, not what someone else wants as a potential future buyer. Good panel gaps and no visual panel problems that I could see, yet someone else more experienced with what to look for may have noticed more than I did.

Tiptronic! Now I'll admit that I've always said that a Porsche, or any sports car, is pointless if it's an auto, as I never really understood why you'd buy one when a sports car is historically all about shifting gears etc. Well that stopped today! I'm now sold on a 996 tip, and when I pull the pin on driving on mine, that's what I'll be buying as I really liked it...a lot! I didn't really care for the full auto mode in the hills, yet that would be great for the mundane driving to and from the hills or taking her ladyship out for a cruise. Using it in full manual mode with the buttons would take a day to really get used to, but I liked the way you pick a gear and it's there much quicker than I thought it would. I would also prefer to have those extensions available for the buttons, as it was a little fiddly and had to be aware whether I touched + or - , but I'm sure you'd get used to it. As an ex kart racer, I much prefer left foot braking, and it was so nice to drive this tip in the hills (albeit far too briefly) and not have to use a clutch and manually change gear.

I'm not about to say a tip is better than a manual, but for ME with a dicky left knee after every drive in the SC it probably is. I also now understand why newer GT3's etc are semi auto, as on a track those things would be fantastic

If you haven't tried a tip, do it. I think you'll be surprised

edit. And yes I'm well aware of the repairable write off tag this car has, yet it has obviously been well done. The current and previous owner were not aware of it being a repairable write off until Buik Motorworks found out whilst doing a service on it. It was refreshing that the owner was very upfront with me and pointed things out that I hardly noticed. If I was in the market, I'd have bought this one for sure

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

images-jpeg-1.jpg

Well, maybe not THE best side, but it's pretty bloody good in my opinion 👍😁

Aaaah sorry @Troubleshooter, I read 'Westside' not wetside 🙄 

Where's my bloody glasses? 

Hahhhah cookie cutters instead of Fuchs the other day, now that....

what's happening to you Lee - into water cooled's, now positive on tippers, .... careful mate you'll end up with a 996 auto cab! Or even worse a Coxster!!

image.jpeg.2c1884c9407a61a469fc22b6e2188666.jpeg

23 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Hahhhah cookie cutters instead of Fuchs the other day, now that....

what's happening to you Lee - into water cooled's, now positive on tippers, .... careful mate you'll end up with a 996 auto cab! Or even worse a Coxster!!

Yeah I know mate. As a moderator you'd think I'd proof read my own posts! 🙄

I can assure you I'm now an open book with 996's and tips, but a cab or Boxster will never be on my list. I just don't like convertibles at all, sorry