Jump to content
MARTY

996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, PDean said:

…... when you look closer some haven't had a major service or spark plugs for 6-7yrs 🤔 Some cars haven't done many km during that time tho. What would be considered acceptable to drag majors out to? Too many basic yearly inspections. Perhaps just doing things on the cheap. Puzzled 

Assuming it's not got to the kilometre service interval limit, you'd have to ask the question about how long the engine has been run when it does get started.  If the answer is that it is always run until it is good and thoroughly hot, I wouldn't be too worried.  If the answer is that it is started and only idled for 5 minutes before shutdown, I'd expect to see more corrosion internally and maybe some extra wear.  Enough to cause real concern? Probably not but just another consideration to mull over and at worst, a reason to pull a cam cover to check.  (You'll be no doubt checking the oil filler cap for a white foamy residue as another clue anyway.)

Also remember Porsche probably specified oil changes 2 yearly or 20,000km at that time and our habit that oil needs to be changed annually has, far far more often than not, little factual justification except buyers expect to see at least an annual change. 

As for spark plugs, they're not time affected so not an issue but I really like to see valve clearances checked within the km limit specification.

If you are still concerned, you could always shout the seller a service under the understanding that if the mechanic finds something during the service that is concerning the deal is off and your deposit is returned. 

Sorry, I don't think there is a definite answer and unfortunately a decision has to be made on balance of a number of considerations.

Good luck!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2001-Porsche-911-Carrera-4-996-Auto-AWD/SSE-AD-5229233?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-5229233

  So I took this for a squirt today for a member here. Nice car, drove the same as any other 996's I've driven but it's a tip (more on that later). 

 Some minor paint blemishes that are easily fixed (unless you're mega picky, then go buy something else for a lot more cash), yet overall a clean car with a service history over the past 2-3 years every 2000kms. Only has 81,000kms on the clock, so a similar condition manual car would probably be double the price. If you're like me and cant afford the best of the best, this car is great value if you (like me) dont really care about future values etc, as it's all about driving and enjoying it NOW, not what someone else wants as a potential future buyer. Good panel gaps and no visual panel problems that I could see, yet someone else more experienced with what to look for may have noticed more than I did.

Tiptronic! Now I'll admit that I've always said that a Porsche, or any sports car, is pointless if it's an auto, as I never really understood why you'd buy one when a sports car is historically all about shifting gears etc. Well that stopped today! I'm now sold on a 996 tip, and when I pull the pin on driving on mine, that's what I'll be buying as I really liked it...a lot! I didn't really care for the full auto mode in the hills, yet that would be great for the mundane driving to and from the hills or taking her ladyship out for a cruise. Using it in full manual mode with the buttons would take a day to really get used to, but I liked the way you pick a gear and it's there much quicker than I thought it would. I would also prefer to have those extensions available for the buttons, as it was a little fiddly and had to be aware whether I touched + or - , but I'm sure you'd get used to it. As an ex kart racer, I much prefer left foot braking, and it was so nice to drive this tip in the hills (albeit far too briefly) and not have to use a clutch and manually change gear.

 I'm not about to say a tip is better than a manual, but for ME with a dicky left knee after every drive in the SC it probably is. I also now understand why newer GT3's etc are semi auto, as on a track those things would be fantastic

 If you haven't tried a tip, do it. I think you'll be surprised

edit. And yes I'm well aware of the repairable write off tag this car has, yet it has obviously been well done. The current and previous owner were not aware of it being a repairable write off until Buik Motorworks found out whilst doing a service on it. It was refreshing that the owner was very upfront with me and pointed things out that I hardly noticed. If I was in the market, I'd have bought this one for sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Welcome to the wetside Lee

images-jpeg-1.jpg

 Well, maybe not THE best side, but it's pretty bloody good in my opinion 👍😁

Aaaah sorry @Troubleshooter, I read 'Westside' not wetside 🙄 

 Where's my bloody glasses? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LeeM said:

images-jpeg-1.jpg

 Well, maybe not THE best side, but it's pretty bloody good in my opinion 👍😁

Aaaah sorry @Troubleshooter, I read 'Westside' not wetside 🙄 

 Where's my bloody glasses? 

Hahhhah cookie cutters instead of Fuchs the other day, now that....

what's happening to you Lee - into water cooled's, now positive on tippers, .... careful mate you'll end up with a 996 auto cab! Or even worse a Coxster!!

image.jpeg.2c1884c9407a61a469fc22b6e2188666.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Hahhhah cookie cutters instead of Fuchs the other day, now that....

what's happening to you Lee - into water cooled's, now positive on tippers, .... careful mate you'll end up with a 996 auto cab! Or even worse a Coxster!!

 

  Yeah I know mate. As a moderator you'd think I'd proof read my own posts! 🙄

 I can assure you I'm now an open book with 996's and tips, but a cab or Boxster will never be on my list. I just don't like convertibles at all, sorry 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, LeeM said:

  Yeah I know mate. As a moderator you'd think I'd proof read my own posts! 🙄

 I can assure you I'm now an open book with 996's and tips, but a cab or Boxster will never be on my list. I just don't like convertibles at all, sorry 

And here I was about to offer you a drive in my Boxster (once the water pump is fixed)😀😀😀

I know what you mean though, the Tip is actually really nice to use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, 3legs said:

And here I was about to offer you a drive in my Boxster (once the water pump is fixed)😀😀😀

I know what you mean though, the Tip is actually really nice to use.

 Have driven a Boxster mate, but thanks anyway. Just really surprised how much I enjoyed the tip/auto thing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Dave986 said:

New Year, New @LeeM 😎

A new knee would be better, but I'll see which is cheaper mate 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LeeM said:

 Have driven a Boxster mate, but thanks anyway. Just really surprised how much I enjoyed the tip/auto thing 

Jump in a 996 tip urbo.  Tips are unloved and  good bang for buck 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, smit2100 said:

Jump in a 996 tip urbo.  Tips are unloved and  good bang for buck 

 I wouldn't have that sorta coin, yet I reckon the non turbo would be quick enough for me in the hills 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LeeM said:

Looks like you have the sickness mate, i was in serious negotiations with the owner of the second car but i found a local car.

Do it Lee, you know you want to:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/11/2018 at 19:49, LeeM said:

 I had a non in-depth look at this today (sorry, I did t have much time). Looks to be a nice n tidy car worth the consideration for a ppi 

 I can probably head back there Saturday morning if anyone wants me to 

This car (silver ‘98 996 with the $25k rebuild at dealer in SA) seemed to sell but has re-appeared.

 

I remember there was some talk about potentially sagging engine mounts and the wonky badge.

 

anybody have any intel on the car?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LeeM said:

Both of those look well priced.  Being a little biased, I do prefer the .2 look, but the .1 is a manual.  Hard choice, but probably the manual would win  out if it checks out OK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, TINGY996 said:

Looks like you have the sickness mate, i was in serious negotiations with the owner of the second car but i found a local car.

Do it Lee, you know you want to:D

 How serious did the negotiations get? I'm heading back to Melb soon and still hunting. Been in talks about a car in Qld, then it copped some hail damage which has me a bit shy on pulling the trigger on that on as will always be a repaired damaged car🤔 Any info you can pass on would be great. Cheers 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, PDean said:

 How serious did the negotiations get? I'm heading back to Melb soon and still hunting. Been in talks about a car in Qld, then it copped some hail damage which has me a bit shy on pulling the trigger on that on as will always be a repaired damaged car🤔 Any info you can pass on would be great. Cheers 

 

PM sent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/11/2018 at 09:37, dan_189 said:

... And the lame "XSTIG" numberplate :rollseyes:

That, and the wheels, will be the first things to go. 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daveyoul said:

That, and the wheels, will be the first things to go. 😁

Ahh so we have a new owner, and member, well done Dave welcome aboard ... yep those 997 turbo rims look so crap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Ahh so we have a new owner, and member, well done Dave welcome aboard ... yep those 997 turbo rims look so crap

Thanks.

Final ppi happening early this week, and hoping to pick up not too long after.

Will be putting the standard rims back on, or maybe turbo twists. Totally agree, the 997t rims are just all kinds of wrong!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, daveyoul said:

Thanks.

Final ppi happening early this week, and hoping to pick up not too long after.

Will be putting the standard rims back on, or maybe turbo twists. Totally agree, the 997t rims are just all kinds of wrong!

Fingers crossed all goes well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/01/2019 at 20:18, JLD said:

Fingers crossed all goes well!

(Un)Fortunately, the ppi uncovered a deal breaker, so I’m back on the hunt. 

Will be back once I’ve found the right one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

PFA [Porsche Forum Australia]

This is an online platform for like-minded Porsche fans/fanatics/tragics to come together to read, chat and share.

It is also a platform to arrange and participate in off-line social meet-ups, events and drives.

×
×
  • Create New...