Jump to content
MARTY

996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, daveyoul said:

(Un)Fortunately, the ppi uncovered a deal breaker, so I’m back on the hunt. 

Will be back once I’ve found the right one!

Sorry to hear.. is it something that affects your view or is it something that no one would want?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, daveyoul said:

(Un)Fortunately, the ppi uncovered a deal breaker, so I’m back on the hunt. 

Will be back once I’ve found the right one!

What was the deal breaker? I’ve got a guy that’s looking for a 996, maybe some negotiation is in order to make the car right 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a fairly significant noise / knock from the engine. Ppi guy pulled the pin early and advised to continue looking. 

I believe the seller genuinely wasn't aware and is already speaking to the relevant people to make it right. He has done the right thing by me the whole way. 

Once rectified I may reconsider, but will have that conversation with the vendor at the relevant time. For the time being I will keep my eyes on carsales for something in the similar price bracket. I think there are a few dreamers out there... Or people with far deeper pockets than me... Maybe both! 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, daveyoul said:

There was a fairly significant noise / knock from the engine. Ppi guy pulled the pin early and advised to continue looking. 

I believe the seller genuinely wasn't aware and is already speaking to the relevant people to make it right. He has done the right thing by me the whole way. 

Once rectified I may reconsider, but will have that conversation with the vendor at the relevant time. For the time being I will keep my eyes on carsales for something in the similar price bracket. I think there are a few dreamers out there... Or people with far deeper pockets than me... Maybe both! 

Cheers

Probably bore scoring in cylinder 4 or 5, do you know if the noise was just at idle or also whilst revving?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81hJmkpbQS0 this one sounds bad

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, daveyoul said:

There was a fairly significant noise / knock from the engine. Ppi guy pulled the pin early and advised to continue looking. 

I believe the seller genuinely wasn't aware and is already speaking to the relevant people to make it right. He has done the right thing by me the whole way. 

Once rectified I may reconsider, but will have that conversation with the vendor at the relevant time. For the time being I will keep my eyes on carsales for something in the similar price bracket. I think there are a few dreamers out there... Or people with far deeper pockets than me... Maybe both! 

Cheers

That's exactly why I will be getting ppi done when I find something thats suits. Can I ask who did the ppi for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, PDean said:

That's exactly why I will be getting ppi done when I find something thats suits. Can I ask who did the ppi for you?

Absolutely, it was done by David Brennan of Nurburgring Mechanical. He was very helpful... I'll use him again for any Melbourne cars. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/12/2018 at 06:29, D2000 said:

Yes, this is my car. I'd love to keep it (as would the missus) but a GT3 purchase has me pressed for space.

And, to be clear, PDean's comments about the hunt for his first Pcar must be general in nature and not directed at my 996, since I have not had an enquiry from him nor do his comments reflect the service history of my car.

I'd love for someone to take this car and enjoy it as much as I have, but it's not an urgent sale so I won't be giving it away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MezgerMan said:

And, to be clear, PDean's comments about the hunt for his first Pcar must be general in nature and not directed at my 996, since I have not had an enquiry from him nor do his comments reflect the service history of my car.

To be fair, I don't think PDean has made any outrageous statements; or anyone else for that matter.

 

Your car looks very nice and I'm sure you read the complementary statements earlier in the thread.  I'm sure whatever statement you're referring to wasn't directed at you BUT realise your car won't suit many due to your location and it's a C4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MezgerMan said:

Yes, this is my car. I'd love to keep it (as would the missus) but a GT3 purchase has me pressed for space.

And, to be clear, PDean's comments about the hunt for his first Pcar must be general in nature and not directed at my 996, since I have not had an enquiry from him nor do his comments reflect the service history of my car.

I'd love for someone to take this car and enjoy it as much as I have, but it's not an urgent sale so I won't be giving it away.

Sorry MezgerMan, new to the forum here and getting used to posting stuff up attachments etc. I should have made it two separate posts.

As for your 996, it does look really nice and I believe you have priced it correctly in my opinion. I'm just after a different spec and my pockets not quite deep enough 😆 Some other cars I see advertised I think are a bit unrealistic in their asking prices.

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PDean said:

Sorry MezgerMan, new to the forum here and getting used to posting stuff up attachments etc. I should have made it two separate posts.

As for your 996, it does look really nice and I believe you have priced it correctly in my opinion. I'm just after a different spec and my pockets not quite deep enough 😆 Some other cars I see advertised I think are a bit unrealistic in their asking prices.

Cheers

Human nature and it goes both ways. I'll happily grab MezgerMans car if he'll sell it for $45k. Who doesn't love a bargain? 😉

Dishonesty is a bigger concern in my books - I've physically inspected cars  (not all Porsches) that were under finance, written off and a falsely declared aus delivery (just copied another ad apparently!). PPIs and due diligence are a must.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jwitt74 said:

Human nature and it goes both ways. I'll happily grab MezgerMans car if he'll sell it for $45k. Who doesn't love a bargain? 😉

Dishonesty is a bigger concern in my books - I've physically inspected cars  (not all Porsches) that were under finance, written off and a falsely declared aus delivery (just copied another ad apparently!). PPIs and due diligence are a must.

Yep, the wife and I had been using Gumtree the last 18 months getting some stuff for our 1st boy, cubby house etc. All advertised as excellent cond, until you inspect it. 

A couple of Porsches I haven't even got to inspection stage as can poke many holes through service history. Mind you, they have so far been mostly from dealers. So really I guess it's expected from a salesman 😂😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jwitt74 said:

Human nature and it goes both ways. I'll happily grab MezgerMans car if he'll sell it for $45k. Who doesn't love a bargain? 😉

 

Hhahaha in your dreams mate. Mezger's Millenium Edition is worth $63k all day long. I'm amazed it hasn't been snapped up ... with near on every 996 factory option known to man, except the X51 performance pack, it's hard to go past it for value ... slow to sell a specialist car from WA when 80% of buyers are over east.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Troubleshooter said:

Hhahaha in your dreams mate. Mezger's Millenium Edition is worth $63k all day long. I'm amazed it hasn't been snapped up ... with near on every 996 factory option known to man including the best of all, the scarce X51 performance pack, it's hard to go past it for value ... slow to sell a specialist car from WA when 80% of buyers are over east.

I don’t think Milleniums came with X51. You may be thinking of the 40th anniversary edition. But still agree re value

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just me or has the market for 996s gone up a tad? I know there was always a range but when I was looking last year there seemed to be a lot more around the 40k mark. It seems to have increased.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jwitt74 said:

 

Dishonesty is a bigger concern in my books - I've physically inspected cars  (not all Porsches) that were under finance, written off and a falsely declared aus delivery (just copied another ad apparently!). PPIs and due diligence are a must.

Due diligence can turn up some odd things, so can PPI's, like ridiculous prices to repair stuff.

I have got my last 4 cars with no PPI, i did heaps of research before i even started looking and spoke to mechanics about what to look for. I am by no means a mechanic but i think it helps if you have an enquiring mind sometimes. I'm not saying don't get a PPI but in all the cars i have got i have been able to have a look at the car and speak to the owner. I have been lucky so far and i knew what i was in for on each occasion as far as what repairs would have to be done after purchase.

34 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Is it just me or has the market for 996s gone up a tad? I know there was always a range but when I was looking last year there seemed to be a lot more around the 40k mark. It seems to have increased.

I think they are up 10-15k, or all the cheaper cars have disappeared some time ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Is it just me or has the market for 996s gone up a tad? I know there was always a range but when I was looking last year there seemed to be a lot more around the 40k mark. It seems to have increased.

 Been steadily creeping up due to the air cooled and everything else going ballistic, though a few are just optimistic sellers because they've seen good cars at $60k and think their cobbled together bucket of bolts is worth the same money. Its across the board with Porsches mate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I would agree. Have been monitoring for about 18 months. Back then there was a plethora of options sub $50k. Possible to pick up reasonable cars in the low 30s.

Now... Notsomuch... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting. When I got mine insured in October the market value varied by quite a lot also. Some insurers wouldn’t budge (and they were at the low end) and others lifted by 10k when I queried it. You would think that they of all groups would have a reasonable amount of consistency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

You would think that they of all groups would have a reasonable amount of consistency.

  You're kidding right? Insurance companies being consistent? 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

Not their service... just how they value assets. 😂

 Only funny because I messaged my Shannon's rep just before you posted that asking where my cash adjustment is after 5 months of waiting! 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LeeM said:

 Been steadily creeping up due to the air cooled and everything else going ballistic, though a few are just optimistic sellers because they've seen good cars at $60k and think their cobbled together bucket of bolts is worth the same money. Its across the board with Porsches mate 

I'm keeping a very open mind but don't have an issue paying $60k for the right car (manual, 996.2, good condition).  I'm constantly debating whether an early 997.1 is worth the extra (really nice seal grey went for about $78k in December).  Nothing that meets my criteria at the moment so not losing sleep.  I still think both models represent good value compared to everything else.  997.2 are great but you're talking nearly 2.5x 996 price so it's a huge jump.

All the 996 haters should remember it's the car that saved Porsche.  Not one to speculate investment-wise but I won't be surprised if it calves out a niche in years to come.  Ahh... I'm going off topic now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

PFA [Porsche Forum Australia]

This is an online platform for like-minded Porsche fans/fanatics/tragics to come together to read, chat and share.

It is also a platform to arrange and participate in off-line social meet-ups, events and drives.

×
×
  • Create New...