996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

51 minutes ago, Jwitt74 said:

I'm keeping a very open mind but don't have an issue paying $60k for the right car (manual, 996.2, good condition).  I'm constantly debating whether an early 997.1 is worth the extra (really nice seal grey went for about $78k in December).  Nothing that meets my criteria at the moment so not losing sleep.  I still think both models represent good value compared to everything else.  997.2 are great but you're talking nearly 2.5x 996 price so it's a huge jump.

All the 996 haters should remember it's the car that saved Porsche.  Not one to speculate investment-wise but I won't be surprised if it calves out a niche in years to come.  Ahh... I'm going off topic now.

Don't get me wrong, the 996's I have driven (2 manuals both between $40-55k and a tiptronic under $40k) have all been nice cars and excellent value. I'm sure those who are in the market for a spankingly good 996 will pay the asking prices because they can and that's fair enough, yet if someone like me was in the market, they're becoming overpriced like air cooled cars have. Then you have the 'collectability' thing creeping its ugly head into 996's, because owners don't want to lose their money by actually driving and enjoying a car for what it is which in turn drives prices up for the plebs who just want a car to drive. 

The 996 is the perfect transition between air and water cooled, and after driving the tip with air conditioning then driving my air cooled not long afterwards on a pretty warm day with a dicky knee, I often think I should have bought one of the 3 cars I'd driven. I'd have to sell mine though...that's the hard part 

7 minutes ago, LeeM said:

The 996 is the perfect transition between air and water cooled, and after driving the tip with air conditioning then driving my air cooled not long afterwards on a pretty warm day with a dicky knee, I often think I should have bought one of the 3 cars I'd driven. I'd have to sell mine though...that's the hard part 

Once you make up your mind like i did, it's easy, i thought my 944 was a forever car. I know the air cooled thing is a little different though.

1 hour ago, TINGY996 said:

Once you make up your mind like i did, it's easy, i thought my 944 was a forever car. I know the air cooled thing is a little different though.

It is a bit mate. Not just the air cooled thing, but the shape of earlier 911's is what floats my boat. That's why I cant sell mine, especially after my drive the other day where the SC just felt bloody sensational. Smooth, fast, sounded great...fantastic

Will say here and now if that tip I drove was silver and $5k cheaper it might have been a different story

2 minutes ago, 99TS3 said:

I’m not sure if this is an import or not but it’s something to consider for 996 buyers. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2005-Porsche-911-Carrera-S-997-Auto-MY06/SSE-AD-5833424

No books or history, current owner bought the car from Pickles auctions in Melbourne. 

8 minutes ago, Jwitt74 said:

Fair call but this is the 996 thread.  😉

The 996 saved them again. Happy?

I was worried that thread title would have a bearing on my response ... 

Happy!! ... :Chuckle2:

9 minutes ago, LeeM said:

And the 928...apparently 😁😉

Very apparently!! ... 😂

2 hours ago, 99TS3 said:

I’m not sure if this is an import or not but it’s something to consider for 996 buyers. 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2005-Porsche-911-Carrera-S-997-Auto-MY06/SSE-AD-5833424

He has it listed on Ebay too. Be wary, he sells instrument clusters with any odometer reading you want!

I would have thought the Boxster is what saved Porsche. Being co-developed with the 996 to reduce costs and bring an entry level car that more people can afford. Sells in higher numbers = more profit = keep evolving the 911. Happy days. I'm even happy Porsche started doing SUVs. Even more profit again so more money to keep evolving the 911. Everyones a winner 😎 It's just a 996 is about as far as my pockets go 😆

29 minutes ago, PDean said:

I would have thought the Boxster is what saved Porsche. Being co-developed with the 996 to reduce costs and bring an entry level car that more people can afford. Sells in higher numbers = more profit = keep evolving the 911. Happy days. I'm even happy Porsche started doing SUVs. Even more profit again so more money to keep evolving the 911. Everyones a winner 😎 It's just a 996 is about as far as my pockets go 😆

Wasn’t it the Boxster that layed the foundation of saving Porsche and the Cayenne made it profitable again?

1 hour ago, PDean said:

I would have thought the Boxster is what saved Porsche. Being co-developed with the 996 to reduce costs and bring an entry level car that more people can afford. Sells in higher numbers = more profit = keep evolving the 911. Happy days. I'm even happy Porsche started havedoing SUVs. Even more profit again so more money to keep evolving the 911. Everyones a winner 😎 It's just a 996 is about as far as my pockets go 😆

Well you could have a boxster and a cayenne for 996 money?

36 minutes ago, PDean said:

Ok, back to topic.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2003-Porsche-911-Carrera-996-Manual-MY03/OAG-AD-16725136?pageSource=details&id=OAG-AD-16725136

No mention of hail damage or photos of service records. Why is that I wonder 🤔😂

Has it been hail damaged?

55 minutes ago, PDean said:

Ok, back to topic.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2003-Porsche-911-Carrera-996-Manual-MY03/OAG-AD-16725136?pageSource=details&id=OAG-AD-16725136

No mention of hail damage or photos of service records. Why is that I wonder 🤔😂

Number plate is having an identity crisis...

14 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

Has it been hail damaged?

Inquired about this car weeks ago. Was waiting on some pics to go online. Telephone ping pong, love it when 2 different sales women return your call, but can't answer any questions. 

Finally get onto a salesman and he mentions "Has anyone advised you of the hail damage?" Ahhhhhh no!

"Don't worry it will be taken care of under insurance, it took it suprisingly well compared to our Hyundais"😂😂 

Hail about the size of 20c piece @12-15 dents mainly on roof and bonnet.

He was kind enough to get photos for me of service books which I went over with a fine tooth comb.

I swear dealers just see stamps in book, but don't actually read any of it.

Like John Travolta says in the Phenomenon " Details Bob" 😂

1 hour ago, PDean said:

Inquired about this car weeks ago. Was waiting on some pics to go online. Telephone ping pong, love it when 2 different sales women return your call, but can't answer any questions. 

Finally get onto a salesman and he mentions "Has anyone advised you of the hail damage?" Ahhhhhh no!

"Don't worry it will be taken care of under insurance, it took it suprisingly well compared to our Hyundais"😂😂 

Hail about the size of 20c piece @12-15 dents mainly on roof and bonnet.

He was kind enough to get photos for me of service books which I went over with a fine tooth comb.

I swear dealers just see stamps in book, but don't actually read any of it.

Like John Travolta says in the Phenomenon " Details Bob" 😂

Assuming it will need to be listed on WOVR?

What’s your thoughts on it? Steer clear?!