MARTY

996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

6 minutes ago, Jwitt74 said:

I'm keeping a very open mind but don't have an issue paying $60k for the right car (manual, 996.2, good condition).  I'm constantly debating whether an early 997.1 is worth the extra (really nice seal grey went for about $78k in December).  Nothing that meets my criteria at the moment so not losing sleep.  I still think both models represent good value compared to everything else.  997.2 are great but you're talking nearly 2.5x 996 price so it's a huge jump.

All the 996 haters should remember it's the car that saved Porsche.  Not one to speculate investment-wise but I won't be surprised if it calves out a niche in years to come.  Ahh... I'm going off topic now.

You won't be disappointed when you find one believe me.

Just now, TINGY996 said:

You won't be disappointed when you find one believe me.

I've wanted a 911 since I was 12 so I'll be absolutely shattered if I'm underwhelmed!

No one hates them anymore... they grew into their own headlights and the black interiors aged quite well, a few people realised what they were missing out on and snapped 'em up at a cheap price ... then the word got out. They are still fabulous value at current pricing

The power of suggestion, LeeM planting the tipper seed 😂 Don't usually search the automatic side of the 996 table, but with manuals demanding such a premium I thought it's worth a look.

Found this one, looks pretty tidy 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2003-Porsche-911-Carrera-996-Auto-MY03/OAG-AD-16400058?pageSource=details&id=OAG-AD-16400058

@PDean Mate, I wasn't even that keen to drive the tip before I got there, only wanted to have a look etc. I changed my mind pretty quickly though. Definitley take one for a spin to see if you like it 

42 minutes ago, PDean said:

The power of suggestion, LeeM planting the tipper seed 😂 Don't usually search the automatic side of the 996 table, but with manuals demanding such a premium I thought it's worth a look.

Found this one, looks pretty tidy 

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2003-Porsche-911-Carrera-996-Auto-MY03/OAG-AD-16400058?pageSource=details&id=OAG-AD-16400058

That's a nice car by the looks and was on my list when i was looking,  i seem to have some sort of built in aversion to buying these cars from dealers, sorry to any dealers on here. Although in saying that the dealers seem to have more realistic prices right now compared to some of these cars which i think are over priced IMO.

51 minutes ago, Jwitt74 said:

I'm keeping a very open mind but don't have an issue paying $60k for the right car (manual, 996.2, good condition).  I'm constantly debating whether an early 997.1 is worth the extra (really nice seal grey went for about $78k in December).  Nothing that meets my criteria at the moment so not losing sleep.  I still think both models represent good value compared to everything else.  997.2 are great but you're talking nearly 2.5x 996 price so it's a huge jump.

All the 996 haters should remember it's the car that saved Porsche.  Not one to speculate investment-wise but I won't be surprised if it calves out a niche in years to come.  Ahh... I'm going off topic now.

Don't get me wrong, the 996's I have driven (2 manuals both between $40-55k and a tiptronic under $40k) have all been nice cars and excellent value. I'm sure those who are in the market for a spankingly good 996 will pay the asking prices because they can and that's fair enough, yet if someone like me was in the market, they're becoming overpriced like air cooled cars have. Then you have the 'collectability' thing creeping its ugly head into 996's, because owners don't want to lose their money by actually driving and enjoying a car for what it is which in turn drives prices up for the plebs who just want a car to drive. 

The 996 is the perfect transition between air and water cooled, and after driving the tip with air conditioning then driving my air cooled not long afterwards on a pretty warm day with a dicky knee, I often think I should have bought one of the 3 cars I'd driven. I'd have to sell mine though...that's the hard part 

7 minutes ago, LeeM said:

The 996 is the perfect transition between air and water cooled, and after driving the tip with air conditioning then driving my air cooled not long afterwards on a pretty warm day with a dicky knee, I often think I should have bought one of the 3 cars I'd driven. I'd have to sell mine though...that's the hard part 

Once you make up your mind like i did, it's easy, i thought my 944 was a forever car. I know the air cooled thing is a little different though.

1 hour ago, TINGY996 said:

Once you make up your mind like i did, it's easy, i thought my 944 was a forever car. I know the air cooled thing is a little different though.

It is a bit mate. Not just the air cooled thing, but the shape of earlier 911's is what floats my boat. That's why I cant sell mine, especially after my drive the other day where the SC just felt bloody sensational. Smooth, fast, sounded great...fantastic

Will say here and now if that tip I drove was silver and $5k cheaper it might have been a different story

3 hours ago, Jwitt74 said:

All the 996 haters should remember it's the car that saved Porsche.

Sorry .... but that honour goes to the humble 924 .... just say'n .. :cool07:

11 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

Fair call but this is the 996 thread.  😉

The 996 saved them again. Happy?

12 minutes ago, Dreamr said:

And the 928...apparently 😁😉

8 minutes ago, Jwitt74 said:

Fair call but this is the 996 thread.  😉

The 996 saved them again. Happy?

I was worried that thread title would have a bearing on my response ... 

Happy!! ... :Chuckle2:

9 minutes ago, LeeM said:

And the 928...apparently 😁😉

Very apparently!! ... 😂

1 hour ago, PASHN8 said:

No books or history, current owner bought the car from Pickles auctions in Melbourne. 

Guess that explains it. 

25 minutes ago, 99TS3 said:

Guess that explains it. 

Ad also says it's been on the WOVR

I would have thought the Boxster is what saved Porsche. Being co-developed with the 996 to reduce costs and bring an entry level car that more people can afford. Sells in higher numbers = more profit = keep evolving the 911. Happy days. I'm even happy Porsche started doing SUVs. Even more profit again so more money to keep evolving the 911. Everyones a winner 😎 It's just a 996 is about as far as my pockets go 😆

29 minutes ago, PDean said:

I would have thought the Boxster is what saved Porsche. Being co-developed with the 996 to reduce costs and bring an entry level car that more people can afford. Sells in higher numbers = more profit = keep evolving the 911. Happy days. I'm even happy Porsche started doing SUVs. Even more profit again so more money to keep evolving the 911. Everyones a winner 😎 It's just a 996 is about as far as my pockets go 😆

Wasn’t it the Boxster that layed the foundation of saving Porsche and the Cayenne made it profitable again?

1 hour ago, PDean said:

I would have thought the Boxster is what saved Porsche. Being co-developed with the 996 to reduce costs and bring an entry level car that more people can afford. Sells in higher numbers = more profit = keep evolving the 911. Happy days. I'm even happy Porsche started havedoing SUVs. Even more profit again so more money to keep evolving the 911. Everyones a winner 😎 It's just a 996 is about as far as my pockets go 😆

Well you could have a boxster and a cayenne for 996 money?

16 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

What's gonna save them this/next time?

Not the Taycan or new 911 that's for sure 

17 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

What's gonna save them this/next time?

EV's.........ouch:ph34r: