996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

4 hours ago, TINGY996 said:

What's the right price for that, what would someone realistically pay for that car?

Based on chat here and what's been on Carsales and either sold or sat I would be thinking mid to late $60's if everything lined up on condition km's and service. I'd be in it if I could get it to start with a $5 but I'm a dreamer. But then I could be completely wrong, have been before...

20 hours ago, Rick V said:

Apologies if this one has been asked about before, as it’s been on the market a while now, but anyone have any intel on this car or the dealer sitting on it? Or looked at it?

After @LeeM‘s stunning backflip (!) on using a Tip, Im now finding myself including autos in the search function, and keep coming back to this gorgeous green number for possible daily driver duties.

7841A882-AFBF-44D8-B9A9-E8A61AB97EBF.png

Hi Rick V, 

Im about half an hour from this car and would be happy to have a look for you if you were serious . It has been around for a long time but there is no doubt that wide bodied 996's are great looking cars. Not so long ago a forest green tan interior turbo sat on the market for a long time priced at mid 60k.A member here bought that car and having seen it in the flesh it was probably the steal of the century.

9 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Hhahahha     *** PRICE UPDATED DUE TO VEHICLE BEING VALUED 30/01/2019 ***

From 125k to 99k and still needs another 25k off to get into the ballpark ….. Certainly wasn't Symsy doing the valuation! 

Saw that and thought "it must have a kilo of cocaine in the boot, which is included in the sale"

23 hours ago, Rick V said:

Apologies if this one has been asked about before, as it’s been on the market a while now, but anyone have any intel on this car or the dealer sitting on it? Or looked at it?

After @LeeM‘s stunning backflip (!) on using a Tip, Im now finding myself including autos in the search function, and keep coming back to this gorgeous green number for possible daily driver duties.

7841A882-AFBF-44D8-B9A9-E8A61AB97EBF.png

@Rick V Rick, I might be going to that dealer today to look at a Cayenne, if you want me to run my eyes over that 996 for you i' be happy to.

Hit me up

Cheers

7 hours ago, dan_189 said:

@Rick V Rick, I might be going to that dealer today to look at a Cayenne, if you want me to run my eyes over that 996 for you i' be happy to.

Hit me up

Cheers

Sorry @dan_189 just logging back in now after a day of sanding & oiling outdoor furniture (exciting life I lead!) & spotted your kind offer.  Did you end up getting down there to check out the Cayenne?  If so, any feedback on the dealership/dealer?

1 minute ago, Rick V said:

Sorry @dan_189 just logging back in now after a day of sanding & oiling outdoor furniture (exciting life I lead!) & spotted your kind offer.  Did you end up getting down there to check out the Cayenne?  If so, any feedback on the dealership/dealer?

All good, unfortunately I decided to hang by the pool and enjoy the 38 degree Melbourne weather! Might try and get there during the week or next saturday.

54 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

All good, unfortunately I decided to hang by the pool and enjoy the 38 degree Melbourne weather! Might try and get there during the week or next saturday.

Sounds like a good call to me!  

Looking for opinions on future Classic status.

mate looking to purchase a manual 996 and it's mulling over a couple of cars. All vary in price but it's not the determining factor. He is a collector and as always buys with the future in mind whilst enjoying his cars by driving them on a frequent basis.

he is tossing up on a targa, C4s and standard C2 coupes.  I think I have talked him out of the targa as I just think it's a narrow market and not sure about future colectability based on legacy sliding glass issues. He has a 996.2 Gt3RS so it's more a standard manual 996 he is after. so Now steering to a 4S vs the C2 and should it be 996 or 997? I like the 996 C4s based on big hips and the turbo running gear but again not sure if it's a narrow future market. It's always hard to guide others I know, as personal preference comes into it, but keen to hear what others think.

Thanks in advance.

I think the early amber lens 996 C2 manual coupe will be one to watch.. one year of production, they are a basic car, light & lively & a joy to drive  (yes I'm biased as i have one) sure the C4 may be a better optioned car but I'm not sure everyone likes a C4 going off what history is telling us with the 964 C4 etc. For me a 911 should be rear wheel drive only in my opinion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ViPQpDt8A

8 minutes ago, James P said:

I think the early amber lens 996 C2 manual coupe will be one to watch.. one year of production, they are a basic car, light & lively & a joy to drive  (yes I'm biased as i have one) sure the C4 may be a better optioned car but I'm not sure everyone likes a C4 going off what history is telling us with the 964 C4 etc. For me a 911 should be rear wheel drive only in my opinion

I agree with this ^^ 100% First year C2 is what I would be buying if I wanted to get into a 996 Carrera... I really dig the look, as James says, very rudimentary. 

I've got a 04 - C2 and love it. It was either that or an early one as mentioned above.

If I'd come across one of these I'd have been all over it....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6jCiB9dt0A

Mad colour and all the right tweaks....This video has done the rounds already but would convince most people..

1 hour ago, daveyoul said:

Damn you for making me watch that... again... :)

I hesitated clicking on the link for fear of it being THAT video, as it always puts the thought in my head 'Maybe I need a 996?' 🙄

I'd contemplated buying the 996 the same colour from Perth coupla three years ago which was bloody cheap from memory, yet I think a member here bought it. 

On 03/02/2019 at 23:20, edgy said:

I agree with this ^^ 100% First year C2 is what I would be buying if I wanted to get into a 996 Carrera... I really dig the look, as James says, very rudimentary. 

Thanks guys the input helped make some decisions. At this stage passing on both options he looked at and I’m in the market for a gen 1 996 manual at the right price 😂

13 hours ago, edgy said:

Oh yeah.. the old "asking for a friend" trick! I like this... a lot 

Best trick in world Kurt, and you were predictable in which way you would steer me...😂

The friend and question was legit. I find it difficult sometimes to take personal bias out when helping this this guy with car purchases. Some are easy this was harder as I know what I would buy, so always good to get other opinions. Good thing is I got him to also call AH who had done the IMS on one of them and Anthony also set him straight on what he should be looking for. Pretty much in the same direction that everyone here suggested around reflection on what history had shown us with G body/964/993 targa/coupe manual/auto and early gen 1 models had retained or improved value over time.

I know I've mentioned it a few times, but finally made my mind up to flick the Macan (as much as I love it) when I get back home and chase down an early 996.  Life has finally settled down a bit so I can put some energy in to a car search for myself. May not be gen 1 but will be something to enjoy on SMT's.