996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

8 minutes ago, James P said:

Don't think I've seen it before.  Looks good apart from being black, high kms but engine rebuild should fix that (but need to know who did it).  Not sure whether anyone would buy without a test drive, but see how he goes.  Price probably OK given what has been done to it....

16 minutes ago, firstone said:

Looks like surfers paradise from snapper rocks. 

Behind 😉

Snapper Rocks it is .... can't stand Melbourne roads anymore, roads up your neck of the woods are way more entertaining (and F all traffic) ... sorry shameless number plate thread hijack

KhFnYBu.jpg

5 hours ago, James P said:

No test drives! It’s bot a rare 550 spyder or a Gmund 356... it’s just a 996. Get over yourself and just sell the thing! First to drive will buy!

On 07/02/2019 at 20:52, Nugget said:

Called in to have a look at this on Saturday, already sold. Even had a big red bow on it for presentation. Looked in very good condition and they had added white porsche decals along the sides.

Like everyone else here, ideally looking for a manual 😆

16 minutes ago, PDean said:

Called in to have a look at this on Saturday, already sold. Even had a big red bow on it for presentation. Looked in very good condition and they had added white porsche decals along the sides.

Like everyone else here, ideally looking for a manual 😆

Did they tell you what the final sale price was?  From memory this was about $57k???

7 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Did they tell you what the final sale price was?  From memory this was about $57k???

Didn't ask final selling price. Advertised at 50k. Last time I was there walked in on a sold Cayman I was interested in. Seems like they wait until it's driven off the lot before taking offline🤔

On 11/02/2019 at 09:39, DT said:

Does anyone know this car? Is he serious about the early IMS bearings or is he just talking it up as he has not replaced his???

42 minutes ago, MB911 said:

Does anyone know this car? Is he serious about the early IMS bearings or is he just talking it up as he has not replaced his???

Don't know the car but all IMS bearings even the early dual row will fail in time believe me i have seen it in low & high km cars 

1 hour ago, MB911 said:

The dual row bearing had a much lower failure rate compared to the single row bearing. More surface area to spread the load over.

According to Wikipedia their failure rate was 1% vs. 8% for the smaller bearing in the later cars: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_Intermediate_Shaft_Bearing_issue

1 minute ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

The dual row bearing had a much lower failure rate compared to the single row bearing. More surface area to spread the load over.

According to Wikipedia their failure rate was 1% vs. 8% for the smaller bearing in the later cars: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche_Intermediate_Shaft_Bearing_issue

The original dual row is what the LN IMS Retrofit Pro is based on. It's an insurance policy - you wouldn't drive around without insurance its a known failure IMO replace it move on.

Unless you prefer to check your oil every 1,000kms for glitter... the bearing starts to shed metal before it even comes apart and at that point you're already in big trouble...

The seller appears to be a well known 930 owning PFA'er from earlier times.

Does anyone know why Porsche changed from the early dual row to the single row in the late 90's and does the early dual row use smaller balls than the later single row?

3 minutes ago, Peter M said:

The seller appears to be a well known 930 owning PFA'er from earlier times.

Does anyone know why Porsche changed from the early dual row to the single row in the late 90's and does the early dual row use smaller balls than the later single row?

Many people blame the "accountants" cutting costs. The PCNA video that Jake Raby put together will tell you everything you need to know.

21 minutes ago, dan_189 said:

The original dual row is what the LN IMS Retrofit Pro is based on. It's an insurance policy - you wouldn't drive around without insurance its a known failure IMO replace it move on.

Unless you prefer to check your oil every 1,000kms for glitter... the bearing starts to shed metal before it even comes apart and at that point you're already in big trouble...

Agreed. I just wanted to point out to the OP that it's smaller risk statistically speaking.

Budget $3.5 - 4.5k to rectify depending on the solution you opt for.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't waste your time with that video, Raby doesn't know why the bearing fails and makes up a bunch of voodoo BS to try and justify his self proclaimed "expertise".  I did a critique in another thread on PFA when the video first came out.

However thanks for the reminder of the video as it has the three bearing types lined up side by side at 15.44.  The balls look the same size but the cage would be definitely lighter on the earlier version.  

Just now, Peter M said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't waste your time with that video, Raby doesn't know why the bearing fails and makes up a bunch of voodoo BS to try and justify his self proclaimed "expertise".  I did a critique in another thread on PFA when the video first came out.

However thanks for the reminder of the video as it has the three bearing types lined up side by side at 15.44.  The balls look the same size but the cage would be definitely lighter on the earlier version.  

I bought into his hype, helps me sleep at night 😛