MARTY

996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

It would want to be perfect for that money, just my opinion, yep, i get the rebuild but you can't drive a car without an engine.

My thoughts are it's a 3.6 so non matching numbers and that's what's held up a sale but still, with $25k worth of full rebuilt engine, that offsets the non matching penalty by  plenty.

2 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

My thoughts are it's a 3.6 so non matching numbers and that's what's held up a sale but still, with $25k worth of full rebuilt engine, that offsets the non matching penalty by  plenty.

Have just sent them a message to ask whether a 3.4 or 3.6. Will report back. 

7 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

That's my thinking too. If you're willing to forego the matching numbers/future sale thing it's a good car. Think I recall a small wear mark on the drivers seat, but otherwise it's nice inside and overall.

28 minutes ago, daveyoul said:

Yeah, I'm with you... and it looks like at least engine mounts need doing. 

I think you might be right there mate. Seem to recall someone else mentioning that when it was first advertised 

Does cable throttle work on a 3.6? The way I read it it's the original 3.4 engine that's been rebuilt... reckon the 3.6 references are a typo. Quick phone call would sort it... but it's more fun speculating whilst sipping a cup of tea in bed.

Engine mounts are a 1hr job.

4 hours ago, LeeM said:

@Tips 

I have tomorrow off if you want me to try and take it for a spin? I know Carlo there, as he's sold a couple of cars on my recommendation to buyers. And just to let people know I don't make anything out of it, just helping interstate people out with a car they might be keen on 👍

I would recommend a spin Lee what else would you do on a day off!!

if your in the area it would be good to have more reliable detail on the discrepancies or required work as agree with Steve its top dollar just depends on how much more wiggle room in the price. I know with Dutton’s there is usually around 15% as a starting point on a high side priced car.

1 minute ago, Tips said:

I would recommend a spin Lee what else would you do on a day off!!

if your in the area it would be good to have more reliable detail on the discrepancies or required work as agree with Steve its top dollar just depends on how much more wiggle room in the price. I know with Dutton’s there is usually around 15% as a starting point on a high side priced car.

I work harder on a day off than I do onsite mate! 

It's 5 minutes from home and Carlo will tell me whatever I want to know that he is aware of, as he's pretty open to talk to 

I’m heading down to CTS on sat with a mate to take the C4S they have for a spin. He’s Pretty keen to get a 996 and likes the big hips on the C4S. For him it must be a manual and condition is everything.  Most I have see are tips and a lot more km’s on the clock.  I’m keen to have a drive to see what it’s like as a comparison to a C2, as that’s probably where I’ll end up. 

https://classicthrottleshop.com/2003-porsche-996-carrera-4s/

6 hours ago, Tips said:

@TwoHeadsTas did you happen to see what work had been done for the $25k? I look at it every second day online 😍. If it’s still around after I settle on a house next week I might be tempted to organise a biz trip to Adelaide and have a ganda, as it’s getting to a tempting price and although has k’s on its clock,  the $25k freshen up engine work (not sure about suspension) could be a tipping point vs some of the others for sale with around 130-150kms on the clock 🤪

Just get off your ass and pull the trigger... as long as the car is correct and presents well, just do it... just ask them if you can use my car as collateral in the interim of your settlement. 😜 You have my grace 

5 hours ago, LeeM said:

@Tips 

I have tomorrow off if you want me to try and take it for a spin? I know Carlo there, as he's sold a couple of cars on my recommendation to buyers. And just to let people know I don't make anything out of it, just helping interstate people out with a car they might be keen on 👍

Say hello to Mr Lapis while you’re there 😉 

41 minutes ago, edgy said:

Say hello to Mr Lapis while you’re there 😉 

I was in there last week, & Mr Lapis will still yet to hit the showroom..... I’m waiting patiently!!

10 hours ago, Tips said:

I’m heading down to CTS on sat with a mate to take the C4S they have for a spin. He’s Pretty keen to get a 996 and likes the big hips on the C4S. For him it must be a manual and condition is everything.  Most I have see are tips and a lot more km’s on the clock.  I’m keen to have a drive to see what it’s like as a comparison to a C2, as that’s probably where I’ll end up. 

https://classicthrottleshop.com/2003-porsche-996-carrera-4s/

If he is looking at spending $100k on a C4S because he likes the hips he should take a look at the silver manual 996 Turbo mentioned in the 996/997 Turbo thread with 130k kms and <$100k. Way better value if the condition is good

@D2000 Yep he has 996t on the buy list so will be chatting with him about that as well. He is pedantic about km’s and whilst that mileage doesn’t faze me, I think 130 would play with his head. We will see. Price is not the determining factor here, it’s condition and value. He is in the collector space so would rather pay 10-15k over for a lower km car as it’s a long term hold.

12 hours ago, Rick V said:

I was in there last week, & Mr Lapis will still yet to hit the showroom..... I’m waiting patiently!!

May need to hold this thought... bit of a shit storm brewing, hopefully will know more soon, but it is not looking good.

30 minutes ago, edgy said:

May need to hold this thought... bit of a shit storm brewing, hopefully will know more soon, but it is not looking good.

Geez, @edgyhope it’s not too bad & you sort out whatever the drama is.

1 hour ago, Rick V said:

Geez, @edgyhope it’s not too bad & you sort out whatever the drama is.

I think we will work through it one way or another, I just seem to have the luck of the draw with this kind of shit. Nothing is ever straight forward, try as I might... 

4 hours ago, Tips said:

@D2000 Yep he has 996t on the buy list so will be chatting with him about that as well. He is pedantic about km’s and whilst that mileage doesn’t faze me, I think 130 would play with his head. We will see. Price is not the determining factor here, it’s condition and value. He is in the collector space so would rather pay 10-15k over for a lower km car as it’s a long term hold.

That C4s is a bit overpriced BUT it looks to be quite excellent, knock of 5k and I think he should be very happy overall.

14 minutes ago, Troubleshooter said:

That C4s is a bit overpriced BUT it looks to be quite excellent, knock of 5k and I think he should be very happy overall.

Lapis Blue is worth a premium... just saying :lol:

3 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

And a knock off a bit more for the aftermarket stereo...

1 hour ago, D2000 said:

And a knock off a bit more for the aftermarket stereo...

Pricewise I think that sin can be forgiven sometimes these days, easily rectified usually

9 hours ago, D2000 said:

If he is looking at spending $100k on a C4S because he likes the hips he should take a look at the silver manual 996 Turbo mentioned in the 996/997 Turbo thread with 130k kms and <$100k. Way better value if the condition is good

^X10 Yep that price for that c4S appears over top dollar  even with a 15% retail haircut and surely you would take that $100k  X50 996 turbo  (down to a five figure number) all grab it  all day every day over the minty 4s providing the 996 turbo has no major issues ( would only have to be average condition). The minty 4s rubber ain't that minty over an average 996 turbo and the minimum 2k you knock off the purchase price goes a decent way  with a good detailer in terms of paint and leather rejuvenation.  Plus if you think the turbo is too quick, just loosen a boost line so there is a slight boost leak and performance wise it will still run rings around the 4s when behind the wheel.

9 hours ago, Tips said:

Hmm. So he has driven both cars back to back???. Also Needs to put some dollars away as original  rubber bits with 52k ain't much better than original rubber bits on higher km car of the same vintage. Plus if he only puts 10k on the 996 turbo over the next 5 years that's only an average of 6400km  a year. 

Do you concern yourself with ims bearings in a c4s???.

13 hours ago, smit2100 said:

^X10 Yep that price for that c4S appears over top dollar  even with a 15% retail haircut and surely you would take that $100k  X50 996 turbo  (down to a five figure number) all grab it  all day every day over the minty 4s providing the 996 turbo has no major issues ( would only have to be average condition). The minty 4s rubber ain't that minty over an average 996 turbo and the minimum 2k you knock off the purchase price goes a decent way  with a good detailer in terms of paint and leather rejuvenation.  Plus if you think the turbo is too quick, just loosen a boost line so there is a slight boost leak and performance wise it will still run rings around the 4s when behind the wheel.

Hmm. So he has driven both cars back to back???. Also Needs to put some dollars away as original  rubber bits with 52k ain't much better than original rubber bits on higher km car of the same vintage. Plus if he only puts 10k on the 996 turbo over the next 5 years that's only an average of 6400km  a year. 

Do you concern yourself with ims bearings in a c4s???.

Mate he’s a collector, he ain’t driven scheisse 

Here’s a link for those worried about these 100K+ so called high mileage Mezgers

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a32639/this-porsche-996-turbo-for-sale-has-an-absurd-590000-miles-on-it/

Immaculate low 70,000 km silver 996 Tip at Collectable Classics in SA for $60k 

No pics or info yet