996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

3 minutes ago, daveyoul said:

Short version is this: 

Saw it on Carsales, called (along with plenty of others I understand), and then got my behind down to Camden... stat. 

Got it at the originally listed price - figured the price was good enough to take a risk without PPI etc. 

High kms, but it will be driven. :)

Pick up hopefully tomorrow afternoon. 

Potential bargain, but also plenty of room in price if you need to spend some $$.  Great job.  Does show there are well priced ones out there and available if you move quick!!

1 hour ago, daveyoul said:

Short version is this: 

Saw it on Carsales, called (along with plenty of others I understand), and then got my behind down to Camden... stat. 

Got it at the originally listed price - figured the price was good enough to take a risk without PPI etc. 

Nice to see another C4 on the forum. Well done

2 hours ago, daveyoul said:

Short version is this: 

Got a pic?

Congratulations, it's good to hear it won't be a garage queen! And you won't feel guilty putting on the ks

22 hours ago, Nugget said:

If its not too much trouble, I would appreciate it if you could look at it. I'm not sure when I can down there to view it myself.

Things I'm most concerned about:

Is the engine noisy, blowing any smoke.

Does it drive straight, doesn't pull to one side under braking

Are the panel gaps all uniform

Any signs of an accident.

It had a replacement engine fitted in 2010 with only 22,000kms on it, so plenty of life in the old girl yet. Gearbox was also rebuild in November 2012 also, plenty of receipts to show maintenance and upkeep, and a very fair price. Hope someone here gets it!

7 hours ago, daveyoul said:

Short version is this: 

Just saw this after my post, congrats mate, good pick up! :)

2 hours ago, PASHN8 said:

It had a replacement engine fitted in 2010 with only 22,000kms on it, so plenty of life in the old girl yet. Gearbox was also rebuild in November 2012 also, plenty of receipts to show maintenance and upkeep, and a very fair price. Hope someone here gets it!

Spoke with the seller, he didn't mention the engine or the gearbox.

On 01/03/2019 at 11:25, PASHN8 said:

Sent me the receipts for work done which was how I know, so great outcome for the buyer!

The seller just sent me details of the original delivery documents and receipts quoting the current engine number and they are the same.

You must be thinking of a different car, because the seller assures me he knows nothing about a replacement engine or rebuilt trans. 

I'm looking at a 996 who's owner lives at the end of a badly corrugated dirt road about 1km. I know some 2wd cars tend to rattle themselves to pieces, has anyone had any experience with a Porsche on dirt roads?

I would def get a ppi on that one- get it up on a hoist and see for yourself- poor roads could age a car quickly. There is nothing like looking under a car and seeing a fresh underside free of scratches, stone chips, dust, dirt and mild sand blasting etc. Or, just rally the thing!

3 hours ago, Nugget said:

I'm looking at a 996 who's owner lives at the end of a badly corrugated dirt road about 1km. I know some 2wd cars tend to rattle themselves to pieces, has anyone had any experience with a Porsche on dirt roads?

I wouldn't be too concerned with 1km of corrugated dirt road... has the car lived there all it's life... has the owner done multiple trips in the Porsche each a day, or once a week, or a couple of times a month... have the corrugations always been there?

I had a girlfriend who lived 7k's up a dirt road... the first trip out there in the 996 I was freaking out... but I soon stopped worrying, the 996 is a very solid, well put together car. We've since broken up and as far as I can tell apart from a bit of extra dust in the engine bay there's been no obvious detrimental signs...to the car, that is.