996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

56 minutes ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

Hypothetical question - what would the cost of PPI, shipping and transferring the rego of this beast from SA to NSW be... If one was able to free up the required pesos.

All approximates ...

Shipping .... $500 - $550

Transfer on $54k .... $1100

Blue slip for rego ... $60

Registration and CTP ... anywhere from $600 - $800 for 12 months.

Hope this helps ... :D

7 hours ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

The issue is the softening economy (real estate prices) along with the upcoming election.

Most people are keeping their powder dry until they know which way the wind is blowing tax wise especially.

With what looks like doom and gloom on the horizon, toy budgets all over the country are currently frozen.

At least that's what's happening in my circle.

Having said that, the price seems reasonable for the condition and servicing. 

Hypothetical question - what would the cost of PPI, shipping and transferring the rego of this beast from SA to NSW be... If one was able to free up the required pesos.

It makes absolutely no sense to me why a car market would slow with a election in the way .

i know it does but why has me stumped. Nothing really changes that much with a change of government that should make a difference to a 50 k car 

3 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

It makes absolutely no sense to me why a car market would slow with a election in the way .

i know it does but why has me stumped. Nothing really changes that much with a change of government that should make a difference to a 50 k car 

I just read that inflation for Q1 is at 0%. This is Australia wide so some places are better than others.

Add potential deflation to a property market going back to the tune of 10% p.a. on the east coast and you have the perfect mix of - "I reckon it will be cheaper tomorrow".

This is especially true for discretionary spending like a $50k classic car purchase. The election is just the icing on that cake.

8 minutes ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

I just read that inflation for Q1 is at 0%. This is Australia wide so some places are better than others.

Add potential deflation to a property market going back to the tune of 10% p.a. on the east coast and you have the perfect mix of - "I reckon it will be cheaper tomorrow".

This is especially true for discretionary spending like a $50k classic car purchase. The election is just the icing on that cake.

I forgot to mention I am a simpleton with a simple plan on buying cars . 

That is like saying when is the right time to buy a house? If you are in it for the long run who cares? Hindsight is a great thing and I’m sure over the years people can look back and say on that day you could have bought that car for that price the air cooled market is a perfect example.

I can't see the election effecting the purchase of a 50k sports car. I'm sure most people in a position to buy these are cash buyers. There's still plenty of people taking out loans to purchase SUVs and dual cabs. The election has me hesitant on purchasing an investment property, not a Porsche.😆

Most market predictions on anything is speculative at best, as noone can predict the future of anything. Do you KNOW your car won't catch fire? Do you KNOW you won't die tomorrow? Only 2 things in life are guaranteed...tax and death

In the end, these cars are just expensive toys to most of us. You gotta pay to play 

39 minutes ago, PDean said:

I can't see the election effecting the purchase of a 50k sports car. I'm sure most people in a position to buy these are cash buyers. There's still plenty of people taking out loans to purchase SUVs and dual cabs. The election has me hesitant on purchasing an investment property, not a Porsche.😆

I see it every time, retail spend, realestate etc only places busy atm are coffee shops 🙄

i purchased both an investment property and P car in past 3 months and elections were never a factor. It was to park cash where I thought it was best right now for me and longer term future plus enjoyment (the P car).

i am finding it slow in the macan and possibly it’s my price, lack of buyers in that segment or election or all of those things. As soon as I can off Load  it I’m thinking 996 👍😄

38 minutes ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

Perhaps with 996 being at the bottom of its deprecation schedule, you're seeing buyers who might balk at a $50-60k commitment upfront plus the yearly maintenance?

Wouldn’t that be the best time to buy one then? At the bottom of its deprecation cycle?

Many years ago whilst living in the uk I could have bought a 924 Carrera gt  for £10000 do I regret it YES that’s why I always say if you see something you like you don’t sit on the fence you buy it,or you talk of buying one and eventually you will miss that boat sailing too

18 hours ago, Zelrik911 said:

$54K is a huge price for that car; I dont think it will sell quickly.

Car sales generally have slowed to nearly nothing - I blame the Election. Wifey says why don't we wait till after election because we will be able to get a great deal on a new electric car!!!!! ( I remind her about NBN & slink off to my mancave to mutter & shake head).

Nah, $54k (offers considered) is quite fair. Especially what's been done.

Don't tell @Shedpest but this is one of three 996s on my list.

Unfortunately I am off to the USA soon and cannot pull the trigger before then. Knowing my luck I'll get back and it's sold.

GLWS...but not too much luck 😉

We’ll I can’t seem to find many posts on 997 sales so I’ll post here...

im in the market for another 997 S ... mine was totaled a couple months back.

there is a massive difference in some of the asking prices.!!

some of the earlier cars (2005-2006) command huge prices.. even compatible with some 997.2 and a couple 991 cars.

im actually hoping to jump into a 997.2 S .. and would even consider an imported car.. ( after all, they are all imported )

i just don’t see any value in buying a 2005 model for 140 k when u can buy a better , newer car 

what’s with some of these huge differences in asking prices? I guess they will be listed for a long time to come.. all Porsche sales are very slow at the moment 

8 minutes ago, raafrebel2 said:

We’ll I can’t seem to find many posts on 997 sales so I’ll post here...

im in the market for another 997 S ... mine was totaled a couple months back.

there is a massive difference in some of the asking prices.!!

some of the earlier cars (2005-2006) command huge prices.. even compatible with some 997.2 and a couple 991 cars.

im actually hoping to jump into a 997.2 S .. and would even consider an imported car.. ( after all, they are all imported )

i just don’t see any value in buying a 2005 model for 140 k when u can buy a better , newer car 

what’s with some of these huge differences in asking prices? I guess they will be listed for a long time to come.. all Porsche sales are very slow at the moment 

If you're looking at under $100k:

There is a 2005 997 S (black) in WA for under $70k but it has an engine swap. Advantage is that it is a 997.2 engine so no IMS issues.

There is also a private sale 2006 997 S for $97.5 in Vic 

Lastly a red 2005 in NSW for $99,990

3 minutes ago, Dave986 said:

If you're looking at under $100k:

There is a 2005 997 S (black) in WA for under $70k but it has an engine swap. Advantage is that it is a 997.2 engine so no IMS issues.

There is also a private sale 2006 997 S for $97.5 in Vic 

Lastly a red 2005 in NSW for $99,990

Yep , I’ve seen them all on car sales. The engine swap car in WA .... why so cheap.. ?

i actually like the red one and I will try to take a look at it .. 

limited for time as I’m heading off to the Isle of Man in a couple weeks

I’m looking at a 997.2  tomorrow, an imported one from England . But looks like pretty good value. 

2 hours ago, raafrebel2 said:

Yep , I’ve seen them all on car sales. The engine swap car in WA .... why so cheap.. ?

i actually like the red one and I will try to take a look at it .. 

limited for time as I’m heading off to the Isle of Man in a couple weeks

I’m looking at a 997.2  tomorrow, an imported one from England . But looks like pretty good value. 

The red and black in WA have been up for months.  I've been looking for a 7.1 (or 996) and the quality examples seem to range between $80-$90k.  I've sent two for PPI's and both came back unsatisfactory so I'm taking a breather. 🙂  The Aus delivered, manual 997.2 asking prices has me baffled and I haven't seen many of those moving either.  They're often in GT3 or TT territory (older models obviously) and I know which I'd rather as a daily or investment.

On 26/04/2019 at 18:51, LeeM said:

I wholeheartedly agree with this

Being as I know this car, the previous and current owner and what has been done to it, the low kilometres and being a manual, I challenge anyone to find a car that has had all that work done for less money. Most manuals I've seen 'without' having the peace of mind IMS, new clutch, suspension, rims and tyres all done are the same money. Add that lot ontop to a car that is advertised for $45-50k 

Agree with everything you say Lee.

My two cents, great looking car especially with the wheel upgrade. Perhaps the Savannah’s interior is a deal breaker for some..?

Being a 911 everyone in the know will know it was offered for sale at 40K by the previous owner, and a quick flip might be deterring some buyers...

Not having at a go at the current owner or discounting the vehicle condition and value for money..

2 hours ago, kov said:

Agree with everything you say Lee.

My two cents, great looking car especially with the wheel upgrade. Perhaps the Savannah’s interior is a deal breaker for some..?

Being a 911 everyone in the know will know it was offered for sale at 40K by the previous owner, and a quick flip might be deterring some buyers...

Not having at a go at the current owner or discounting the vehicle condition and value for money..

I suppose you could say that mate. Not wanting to drag this out, yet if PFA members didn't know that, would the question be raised at all? We could say that about every Porsche owner we don't know or in every car yard, as everyone knows they all buy low to sell high.

This below is not aimed at you personally @kov it's just my opinion to everyone reading this who are looking for a good 996.

Before I pulled out of buying the car in question, I had a quote of around a grand to change the interior colour to black, as I didn't/don't like Savannah beige, so if the beige interior is putting buyers off, it can be done for not a lot of money and it will look brnd new inside. I'm sure there would be some opportunist trim shops/dye people charging the Porsche tax though. I've watched it done on YouTube by professionals and it's not hard if you want to have a crack at it yourself, you just have to be patient and careful...both traits I do not possess! A little different, but I did dye the original carpet in my 912 with spray can dye and it came up great. I've also done one headrest on the non original Statos seats currently fitted to my SC (coincidently they are also beige!) and I've tried to remove it with a steel scouring pad with very limited success. I am removing them very soon to dye both seats black. All car interiors are dyed leather (I've never seen a blue/green/beige/turquoise cow in a paddock 😁), so theres no difference having a pro do the job compared to what the factory buy from their suppliers when a car is originally built. There are plenty of companies who dye car interiors and leather lounge furniture restorations

To any prospective 996 buyers, look into the pricing of it if you like the car but not the interior colour

18 hours ago, Jwitt74 said:

The red and black in WA have been up for months.  I've been looking for a 7.1 (or 996) and the quality examples seem to range between $80-$90k.  I've sent two for PPI's and both came back unsatisfactory so I'm taking a breather. 🙂  The Aus delivered, manual 997.2 asking prices has me baffled and I haven't seen many of those moving either.  They're often in GT3 or TT territory (older models obviously) and I know which I'd rather as a daily or investment.

I’m off to take a look at an imported 997.2 today.. 

being an imported car, I’m not too sure what to really offer if I do in fact like it. 

They are all built in the same factory, and I’m not too fussed about the resale value as I’m buying another car as I love driving them 

I might be able to score a bargain as what u said is correct.... there are not too many cars that are selling at the moment so I’m hoping it’s a good buyers market. 

Ive been looking out now for months , and it’s becoming quite rare that a Porsche actually sells! 

39 minutes ago, raafrebel2 said:

I’m off to take a look at an imported 997.2 today.. 

being an imported car, I’m not too sure what to really offer if I do in fact like it. 

They are all built in the same factory, and I’m not too fussed about the resale value as I’m buying another car as I love driving them 

I might be able to score a bargain as what u said is correct.... there are not too many cars that are selling at the moment so I’m hoping it’s a good buyers market. 

Ive been looking out now for months , and it’s becoming quite rare that a Porsche actually sells! 

Good luck with your search, but dont forget there are reasons why some cars are sold cheaply. Make sure you put that car up on a hoist and check very carefully underneath.

I see your not too fussed about resale, but If you searchback on this forum there are postings from people very unhappy with the imported 997 s they bought because of the rot and rust underneath around the engine. One example is the vacuum arrangement for the brakes which is made of chocolate.

Most of the "overseas" 997 s come from UK, & in UK/Ireland they have a terrible reputation for BORESCORING . We hardly hear about it here, I suppose its because we have a milder climate. Repairing this requires a major engine rebuild. Its a bit like IMS in earlier cars.

20 minutes ago, Zelrik911 said:

Most of the "overseas" 997 s come from UK, & in UK/Ireland they have a terrible reputation for BORESCORING . We hardly hear about it here, I suppose its because we have a milder climate. Repairing this requires a major engine rebuild. Its a bit like IMS in earlier cars. 

Why would climate have a big bearing on the bore scoring issue?

Does Porsche spec a different grade of oil in colder climates?

54 minutes ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

Why would climate have a big bearing on the bore scoring issue?

Does Porsche spec a different grade of oil in colder climates?

I've read this a fair bit as well - colder climate + cold starts = potential bore scoring