996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

17 hours ago, kov said:

Being a 911 everyone in the know will know it was offered for sale at 40K by the previous owner, and a quick flip might be deterring some buyers...

Quick flip ? He has had it for over 6 months that’s a lifetime to some .

1 hour ago, wilson59 said:

Quick flip ? He has had it for over 6 months that’s a lifetime to some .

I'm keen to know what effect, if any, the little old lady who previously owned it & drove it to the shops and church had on it.

38 minutes ago, ScottyP said:

Anyone know this car or kicked the tyres on it?  Looks pretty decent, although high keys. Quite a fan of the white too.  

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1998-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual/SSE-AD-6037594/?_ga=2.208701138.1165524296.1556430842-2142957864.1538613320 

I believe It’s a members car, if you’re serious get on it, ignore the kms.

58 minutes ago, ScottyP said:

Anyone know this car or kicked the tyres on it?  Looks pretty decent, although high keys. Quite a fan of the white too.  

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1998-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual/SSE-AD-6037594/?_ga=2.208701138.1165524296.1556430842-2142957864.1538613320 

It’s a terrible car. You shouldn’t buy it *

* this review bought to you by the fact I’m looking at it too but I’m not going to be ready until July / August 😉

1 hour ago, ScottyP said:

I've considered buying it and I already have one! - I got the look from the missus. I think cable throttle also. I'd be all over this.

2 hours ago, Nugget said:

I'm keen to know what effect, if any, the little old lady who previously owned it & drove it to the shops and church had on it.

Probably not much. The guy who had it after her is a respected mechanic and gave it all a clean bill of health when he did the clutch and IMS. Without pulling an engine completely apart, how would anyone know how good any engine is inside? 

43 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Probably not much. The guy who had it after her is a respected mechanic and gave it all a clean bill of health when he did the clutch and IMS. Without pulling an engine completely apart, how would anyone know how good any engine is inside? 

Borescope, oil analysis and leak down test would give you some clues. I'm just curious, that's all. Old lady might have lost all her points from being a lead foot.

4 hours ago, Nugget said:

Yep, this my car, and just to square the record up,  firstly I have a 77 that I am restoring and needed my fix for another P-car (which the bug has only bitten in the last 3 years) to play with. I lusted over a 997 but when the 996 got offered it was too good to refuse. I have had it for 8 months now, the Greek mechanic who owned it bought it of the “old lady” and did the required IMS and co.

He drove it rarely in his 4 years of ownership and needed to fund his Yankee Muscle car passion and finish his projects off.

Besides his mechanical input the car was in need of lots of dipshit stuff done that had been neglected in its 20 years .

Quick flip??

I have put lots of time, money and effort into this little girl to get it back to how it should be, so for those that think that I am profiteering  just aren’t quite getting it.

For anyone to think they buy a cheap Porsche and not spend any money on it is not quite catching on, this car was sold for a fair price that the previous owner knew that all that had to be done, so was it cheap in the long run???

For those that know of me will profess to my collection of old Italian bikes and the quality of restoration and maintenance/ anal-ism of preserving quality vehicles.

My first forte into water-cooled Porkers has been a great experience but now just want something “bigger, better, faster”

9 minutes ago, Shedpest said:

Yep, this my car, and just to square the record up,  firstly I have a 77 that I am restoring and needed my fix for another P-car (which the bug has only bitten in the last 3 years) to play with. I lusted over a 997 but when the 996 got offered it was too good to refuse. I have had it for 8 months now, the Greek mechanic who owned it bought it of the “old lady” and did the required IMS and co.

He drove it rarely in his 4 years of ownership and needed to fund his Yankee Muscle car passion and finish his projects off.

Besides his mechanical input the car was in need of lots of dipshit stuff done that had been neglected in its 20 years .

Quick flip??

I have put lots of time, money and effort into this little girl to get it back to how it should be, so for those that think that I am profiteering  just aren’t quite getting it.

For those that know of me will profess to my collection of old Italian bikes and the quality of restoration and maintenance/ anal-ism of preserving quality vehicles.

My first forte into water-cooled Porkers has been a great experience but now just want something “bigger, better, faster”

Good luck with the sale if you bought for the right price good on you nobody ever questions how much dealerships pay for cars and then add on a hefty fee.

9 minutes ago, Shedpest said:

Quick flip??

It’s a great car Pest and after all said and done tyre kickers are going to do exactly that . I’m sure you are open to any inspection required .

Bill has just announced that everyone will be getting free Porches anyway so you will get your car as soon as Bill moves into the lodge .

12 hours ago, Shedpest said:

Quick flip??

For anyone to think they buy a cheap Porsche and not spend any money on it is not quite catching on, this car was sold for a fair price that the previous owner knew that all that had to be done, so was it cheap in the long run???

I saw this car on Sunday morning, sat in it and kicked the tyres, it looks even better in the flesh than the pictures show on Carsales.

I liked it a lot.

2 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Up early this morning Lee, or is that late to bed??

I think Bill's just a bigger wanker than the rest 🙂 

Dozed off pretty hard on the couch after 3 days of 'spirited' driving and woke up to a dog jumping up n down wanting to go outside!

1 minute ago, LeeM said:

Dozed off pretty hard on the couch after 3 days of 'spirited' driving and woke up to a dog jumping up n down wanting to go outside!

Just as well you woke up, could have been cleaning up yellow rivers or worse.....

1 hour ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Just as well you woke up, could have been cleaning up yellow rivers or worse.....

Its a regular, daily thing mate. She is on medication which makes her drink a lot, so my sleep patterns are...well I don't really sleep much now, but I'll whatever it takes for my dog to enjoy a happy life

On 28/04/2019 at 10:00, Zelrik911 said:

Good luck with your search, but dont forget there are reasons why some cars are sold cheaply. Make sure you put that car up on a hoist and check very carefully underneath.

I see your not too fussed about resale, but If you searchback on this forum there are postings from people very unhappy with the imported 997 s they bought because of the rot and rust underneath around the engine. One example is the vacuum arrangement for the brakes which is made of chocolate.

Most of the "overseas" 997 s come from UK, & in UK/Ireland they have a terrible reputation for BORESCORING . We hardly hear about it here, I suppose its because we have a milder climate. Repairing this requires a major engine rebuild. Its a bit like IMS in earlier cars.

Bore scoring and any IMS issues are not affected in the 992.2 cars. They have an updated motor and more HP 😊

If I go with an imported car , it will be a 997.2 

The resale value is determined by the purchase price. I can buy a 997.2 for the same cost as an Australian delivered 997.1. So the resale value will be lower, but u pay lower in the first place 

I agree with the corrosion issues.... the one I looked at is a one owner car and been only used as a weekend car.. and I will get a PPI if I decide to go with it

11 minutes ago, JLD said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/Porsche-911-Carrera-2000/SSE-AD-6070973/?Cr=0

I'm guessing this hasn't sold because you can't drive it... Who would buy a modified car they've never driven?

A strange sales description you are spot on who buys a car when you can’t take it for a drive truly weird 

56 minutes ago, MARTY said:

A strange sales description you are spot on who buys a car when you can’t take it for a drive truly weird 

Yep, he's had it on Gumtree for a fair while. I wonder if he'd let someone drive it as part of a ppi 🤔 Another black car on the market! 

26 minutes ago, KeyboardWarrior77 said:

Its also registered interstate so there's the headache of rego transfer to go with the general "get off my lawn" vibe.

Interstate rego doesn’t get transferred rather cancelled and you start fresh in your state. So whatever is left on rego can be dropped off the price as the owner will be entitled to a refund when rego in his/her state is cancelled.