996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

On 22/10/2019 at 18:47, MFX said:

I am currently looking into doing a straight swap of my 240z for this car.

It is NOT a GT3 despite the decals and number plate. Apparently it has a VF supercharger, carbon backed GT3 seats, CAE shifter, 8 pot front calipers, coil overs, very loud switchable exhaust, etc. Not exactly a quite daily driver, even though that is what it's duties will be. 

Does anyone know the car? I am getting David Brennan to check it out this week in Melbourne, but any other info would be good.

Looks bloody good. But if you were looking to monetize the 204z to keep buying shells for your builds, then potentially this 996 might be harder to move than the 240z.  

3 minutes ago, reggiegums said:

Looks bloody good. But if you were looking to monetize the 204z to keep buying shells for your builds, then potentially this 996 might be harder to move than the 240z.  

Definitely. I am actually looking at it as a car to replace my Audi S5 as a daily. I have a bit of a plan to return it to more of a stock form for daily duties (not completely stock ;) ).

1 hour ago, MFX said:

Definitely. I am actually looking at it as a car to replace my Audi S5 as a daily. I have a bit of a plan to return it to more of a stock form for daily duties (not completely stock ;) ).

I also think that with the strength of the JDM market, you're selling an appreciating car for one that is not. Just saying. That 240Z is mint and I know of 2 in Vic that could do with a full resto plus RB26.

27 minutes ago, reggiegums said:

I also think that with the strength of the JDM market, you're selling an appreciating car for one that is not. Just saying. That 240Z is mint and I know of 2 in Vic that could do with a full resto plus RB26.

The Z's seemed to have peaked a couple of years ago, a bit like aircooled cars. I am more looking at it from the view that I can replace my S5 with something that I can use as a daily for a couple of years and it should still be worth basically the same when I go to sell it. So it is not exactly a replacement for the Z, I already have the old 911 and the Alfa that fill that hole. I can't afford to keep them all unfortunately.

3 hours ago, MFX said:

The Z's seemed to have peaked a couple of years ago, a bit like aircooled cars. I am more looking at it from the view that I can replace my S5 with something that I can use as a daily for a couple of years and it should still be worth basically the same when I go to sell it. So it is not exactly a replacement for the Z, I already have the old 911 and the Alfa that fill that hole. I can't afford to keep them all unfortunately.

Would be interesting to hear your thought's on the supercharger...

Jim.

20 minutes ago, Jim45 said:

Would be interesting to hear your thought's on the supercharger...

Jim.

I am interested to see it. That did give me some hesitation when he mentioned it was supercharged, but I did a quick google search and most people sounded happy with them and I didn't find nasty stories , but we will see.

1 hour ago, MFX said:

I am interested to see it. That did give me some hesitation when he mentioned it was supercharged, but I did a quick google search and most people sounded happy with them and I didn't find nasty stories , but we will see.

Just blows out the IMS quicker.!

On 25/10/2019 at 10:10, dan_189 said:

To be honest i'd be nervous about putting the NA M96 under the strain of boost even low boost.

The kit itself looks well built though.

Generally I feel the same, but when done right...

Yup that's a M96 in there and he's been using those horses and so have other people, particularly the press and other youtubers. M96 can be a beast in the right hands. 

4 hours ago, Mike737 said:

Generally I feel the same, but when done right...

Yup that's a M96 in there and he's been using those horses and so have other people, particularly the press and other youtubers. M96 can be a beast in the right hands. 

I see bugger all bang for buck in using a m96 to get big hp numbers and reliability in a 996 .  For instance take a 996 turbo'd mezger, assuming compression /leakdown test yields decent results, engine work on a budget is weld in the 7 factory epoxied water pipes and replace the factory rods with Carrillos. The other side to getting 850hp  is then standard  fair twin turbo 6 cylinder stage 3 big hp  recipe of  pure boltons.  eg set of say tial gt turbos and oil / cooling line replumbing,  fuel upgrade kit ( min 1000cc injectors and second fuel pump) exhaust, intercoolers, upgraded  diverter valves,   intake plumbing tweaks and the right tuner. Plus in terms of skill set, a couple of slabs to a welder for one hrs work and rest is hrly rate wrenching.  Can you just wrench your way to 850hp with a m96. 

• 3 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, MFX said:

Has anyone looked at this? https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1998-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual/SSE-AD-6330034/?Cr=1

It has a few mods which may turn people off and IMS not done, but now my Audi S5 has been written off I am actively looking for a 996 or 997 replacement.

You seen this one? https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2001-Porsche-911-Carrera-996-Manual/SSE-AD-6266330?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-6266330

4 minutes ago, D2000 said:

It looks good, but I don't want ot pay more than $50k for a 996. It has low km's but for that price I would just stretch to a 997.

4 hours ago, MFX said:

Has anyone looked at this? https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1998-porsche-911-carrera-996-manual/SSE-AD-6330034/?Cr=1

It has a few mods which may turn people off and IMS not done, but now my Audi S5 has been written off I am actively looking for a 996 or 997 replacement.

How about a C4?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/strathalbyn/cars-vans-utes/collectable-classic-cars-1999-911-carrera-4-manual/1232820818

12 hours ago, MFX said:

Haven't seen it, but just up the road from me if you need a preliminary look done. Good spec, 99 man, still got cable throttle. 

16 hours ago, MFX said:

The 98 models weren't too bad with IMS compared to the 2002-2005 models, as they used the dual row bearings. (Would definitely still get a PPI though)