996 values coupe/cab manual/tip

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome Mike - be prepared for a lot of questions / answers / good info on here on your quest.

The red 996 certainly looks good, but the first question would be who rebuilt the engine and why. If it was a factory crate engine, then that would be a win, but if Joe Bloggs in Kooweerup built the engine I would tread carefully. You would need all the invoices and material list from the workshop to prove the provenance of the rebuild too.  And if possible it would be nice to see the stamped Porsche maintenance handbook or at least a folder proving the general history over the last few years.  

Best of luck....

6 hours ago, Mharring said:

Hi Guys, I'm new to PFA, and I'm keen to purchase a suitable 996 (manual with no previous accident damage, and good service history).  The following car (refer to link) has just been listed, is anyone familiar with this?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/southbank/cars-vans-utes/porsche-996-911/1241177721 

Thanks, Mike 

I love that red 996, hot looking car. Get it checked and if it is ok then buy it. Or I might 😂 Bear in mind it’s a C4

On 01/02/2020 at 11:30, Stepo said:

Agreed, enjoyed watching, but......sore back after a couple of hours driving.......soft😆

I was amazed at how comfortable the seats were on a long drive. it is impressive how comfortable they are, while still being supportive, particularly as my car is quite low and stiff with the H&R kit. We will see if I am still saying that after a week in Tassie, but I think it will be good. 

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 14:44, Mharring said:

Hi Guys, I'm new to PFA, and I'm keen to purchase a suitable 996 (manual with no previous accident damage, and good service history).  The following car (refer to link) has just been listed, is anyone familiar with this?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/southbank/cars-vans-utes/porsche-996-911/1241177721 

Thanks, Mike 

Great car, Greg the owner runs Bailey Special Projects and he rebuilds Porsche engines and rebuilt the motor in the car. 

Have been on a P run with the car before and goes nicely.

I would give him a call and go and see it, he is a great guy. :)

Kind regards

Craig

5 hours ago, crsedge said:

Great car, Greg the owner runs Bailey Special Projects and he rebuilds Porsche engines and rebuilt the motor in the car. 

Have been on a P run with the car before and goes nicely.

I would give him a call and go and see it, he is a great guy. :)

Kind regards

Craig

Thanks Craig, I appreciate the information and his company details.  Greg did reply to a few questions I had, and was very open in regards to the car and his future endeavors.  

Cheers, Mike 

• 2 weeks later...

That car was for sale four years ago when I was looking for a 996 and when I did enquire all those years ago, nothing but silence.  Jog on..

Same car / same pics / higher price..

You think the formula is working..?  

Next..

Just checking the spreadsheet that I made back then (Feb 2016) - it was listed for $52000 with 90k on the clock.  Me thinks the seller is trying to snag an unsuspecting buyer who isn't aware of the 'previously written off' bit..

38 minutes ago, WOKA said:

That car was for sale four years ago when I was looking for a 996 and when I did enquire all those years ago, nothing but silence.  Jog on..

Next..

Just checking the spreadsheet that I made back then (Feb 2016) - it was listed for $52000 with 90k on the clock.  Me thinks the seller is trying to snag an unsuspecting buyer who isn't aware of the 'previously written off' bit..

I swear it got down to the low 40's too

29 minutes ago, WOKA said:

Next..

I know if you look really carefully it says it is previously written off in the spec listing. Why wouldn’t you mention it in the part the potential buyer actually reads? Tell the buyer what happened and where it was repaired. Keeping it on the downlow says to me they’re trying their best to hide it without lying. And that also says to me that the repairs aren’t good and neither are the circumstances of it being written off. So it’s priced way too high in my opinion.

Just now, LeeM said:

I swear it got down to the low 40's too

That’s where it should be starting 

1 minute ago, DT said:

I do like that they're becoming a bit more realistic price-wise. Prices in general seem to be coming down!