• 1 month later...

Does anyone know how often boxster S or 996/997s with blown engines come up for sale? I want one for a project but I'm not sure if its a waste of time looking/waiting.. My theory is that some people might not want to spend money on a new engine when its half the value of the car. 

18 hours ago, Timomo said:

Does anyone know how often boxster S or 996/997s with blown engines come up for sale? I want one for a project but I'm not sure if its a waste of time looking/waiting.. My theory is that some people might not want to spend money on a new engine when its half the value of the car. 

I think they are out there, in P car type wreckers.   A few years ago my 986S crapped itself with the new owners, and they had a quick shop around and found a couple of wreckers that had the complete engines sitting on the floor.   In NSW from memory and the engine they ended top getting shipped to them was a reasonable price with reasonably low K's.

Depending what state your in I'd try a few of your independents see who they go to or can suggest..   Worth a few phone calls.  

If your here in the leper colony there is a wrecker in Spray Street Mordialloc, pretty close to Hartech Automotive (Adrian) give them a try or give Adrian at HARTECH a call.

12 minutes ago, Niko said:

I think they are out there, in P car type wreckers.   A few years ago my 986S crapped itself with the new owners, and they had a quick shop around and found a couple of wreckers that had the complete engines sitting on the floor.   In NSW from memory and the engine they ended top getting shipped to them was a reasonable price with reasonably low K's.

Depending what state your in I'd try a few of your independents see who they go to or can suggest..   Worth a few phone calls.  

If your here in the leper colony there is a wrecker in Spray Street Mordialloc, pretty close to Hartech Automotive (Adrian) give them a try or give Adrian at HARTECH a call.

I know you're specifically referring to S engines, but I know of at least 3 or 4 standard motors available (including one that we have for sale 🙂 ).  Pricing appears to be around $5k for short engine, $6k for long engine

19 hours ago, Timomo said:

I know where there is a 996 3.4 engine but i don't know if it is repairable.

On 02/09/2020 at 13:36, edgy said:

Usually if one is seeking a Boxster S with blown motor, they're thinking along the lines of Renegade V8 swap... you use the S as your base, as its got the better hardware for the HP. 

http://www.renegadehybrids.com 

Ye, this was what I was thinking of, they have a kit for the 996 997 too so Im keen to see whats out there, I have a wanted add on gumtree but no interest as yet.. I recently did a swap into a boat so was keen on a new project. 

On 02/09/2020 at 11:40, Jason A said:

If my memory is correct a couple have come up for sale in here in the last year

Thanks, that provides some optimism, I'll keep an eye out..

I remember seeing a YouTube clip from Hoovies Garage in doing a V8 swap in his 996. Ended up costing nearly as much as rebuilding the original engine. He had some cooling issues with the V8. Although it was similar to drive as weight similar, tho with a lot more power, he did miss the Porsche sound 🤔

Would be interesting to follow on the Project thread if your going in that direction. Best of luck 👍

1 hour ago, PDean said:

I remember seeing a YouTube clip from Hoovies Garage in doing a V8 swap in his 996. Ended up costing nearly as much as rebuilding the original engine. He had some cooling issues with the V8. Although it was similar to drive as weight similar, tho with a lot more power, he did miss the Porsche sound 🤔

Would be interesting to follow on the Project thread if your going in that direction. Best of luck 👍

And then Hoovie blew up the V8 on the track because it got starved of oil. 

48 minutes ago, XLR8 said:

He's got over a million subscribers on youtube (and the income associated with that), and buying, fixing and selling cars for a living.

I reckon he's pretty smart actually.

For sure, you get tons of views buying the cheapest <Insert interesting car here>, it breaking and you fixing it up.

Back to engine swaps, the 997.2  3.8 swap seems to be something that has been  done a  bunch of times now in the US. BGB Motorsports even have a loom which allows a 987.1 S or 987.2 base to move from the Bosch to Siemens ECU necessary to run the DFI motor.

987.1 models need a 987.2 gearbox plus a couple of other parts as they weren't born with a 9A1 motor and while the base 987.2 still needs the loom swap you have the advantage of the car coming with a shorter geared 6 speed than the S  model while still retaining the traditional benefits of the S model like the brakes which were made common across all 987.2 models.

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/06/2020 at 13:34, JoshSnell said:

1998 PORSCHE BOXSTER GT3 CUSTOM TRIBUTE - $26,990

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/laverton-north/cars-vans-utes/1998-porsche-boxster-986-yellow-5-speed-sports-automatic-convertible/1214769691

This car was for sale about 3 years ago for 15k then the dealership bought it and propped it up. Shockingly average car worth no where near the money

1998 Porsche Boxster 986 Yellow 5 Speed Sports Automatic Convertible1998 Porsche Boxster 986 Yellow 5 Speed Sports Automatic Convertible

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Jason A said:

Look closer lads, it’s got black rubber door stops on the rear defuser and an inverted rear wing for extra lift

I actually thought with the wing at that angle, the downforce would actually be converted into forward thrust...?