25 minutes ago, rego said:

I'm sure the phone is ringing off the hook 😂

If you book a PPI and give the place doing the PPI your credit card details he should be willing to take it there. What kind of person would pay $500+ to PPI someone elses car they had no intention of buying?

He'd probably get 30k on trade, so I'd discount the idea that he'd want to trade it if someone was serious about buying it at anywhere close to 50k.

Get the service records though, regardless of milage it should of still have been serviced regularly and you can discount a car prior to purchase if it doesn't have good enough records for you (Porsche stipulate yearly in the book and certain service items do time out).

He is right though you need to work out how you are going to get this deal done without you being around which will either require you to get a friend to help, him to wait or faith in the seller (I've had a place doing a PPI validate a license before to lessen my risk).

Good luck!

Thank you... all very good advice, especially the $30k part

we will see how it goes.... Please Australia, open your doors! We are Covid free for a while now....

• 2 weeks later...

Can I check with you guys...

so the boxster I was looking at is 2008 and have less than 30,000 km on the odometer. 

he has full records, except that in 2014, it did the 23,000km service. And in 2020 it did its 29,000 km service. In between these two dates, there was a bunch of Pink Slips. 

would you guys have any cause for concern here? And what’s pink slips?

TIA

Just now, Pweesng said:

Can I check with you guys...

so the boxster I was looking at is 2008 and have less than 30,000 km on the odometer. 

he has full records, except that in 2014, it did the 23,000km service. And in 2020 it did its 29,000 km service. In between these two dates, there was a bunch of Pink Slips. 

would you guys have any cause for concern here? And what’s pink slips?

TIA

Oh wow. No oil change for 6 years? I would at least get a PPI done and check for bore score etc.

21 minutes ago, blue_ixxi said:

Oh wow. No oil change for 6 years? I would at least get a PPI done and check for bore score etc.

Yeah. I don’t know what to read of it also. I asked for a PPI. But he only entertain on premise PPI. Even though he lives 8 min from Cavaco, according to Google. 

should I walk, or bargain and hope the saving is sufficient should I discover anything wrong?

it’s a 2008 Boxster S, manual. Mileage almost 30,000 km. What would be a fair price in today’s market. 

Sorry I am very inexperienced. About to move to Sydney, and this is my first P car. If this is in Singapore I would have jumped at it, given there’s tons of trusted mechanic in my phone book. 

20 minutes ago, firstone said:

Pink slip in nsw is a road worthy condition check.

I personally wouldn't care about the service interval. Some will, actually probably most would. 

Typically I wouldn’t either. But moving to a new country with no contacts, dealing with nasty issues may be a pain. 

however, Singapore has a 3 months shut down started in March. So my car here wasn’t used much. Before the shut down I did an oil change and chuck in 4.5 litre in a B37 engine (BMW 1 series). In July when the country opened up, my mechanic drained out 5.1 litres of oil. That kinda change my mind set a little a bout regular servicing. 

54 minutes ago, Pweesng said:

Yeah. I don’t know what to read of it also. I asked for a PPI. But he only entertain on premise PPI. Even though he lives 8 min from Cavaco, according to Google. 

Play him at his own game - contact @Dave Brennan as he is Melbourne's mobile Porsche mechanic, and will go there to do the PPI 🙂  Good guy, hugely knowledgeable......

18 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Play him at his own game - contact @Dave Brennan as he is Melbourne's mobile Porsche mechanic, and will go there to do the PPI 🙂  Good guy, hugely knowledgeable......

Thought this was a Sydney car?

Anyway, it clearly hasn't been serviced for 6 years, and has been driven 6K KMs during that period. I don't know if on premise PPI would be thorough enough to highlight any issues.

Is this the Black Boxster S? If yes, it's been on sale for ages. No wonder it hasn't sold yet.

1 minute ago, blue_ixxi said:

Anyway, it clearly hasn't been serviced for 6 years, and has been driven 6K KMs during that period. I don't know if on premise PPI would be thorough enough to highlight any issues.

Is this the Black Boxster S? If yes, it's been on sale for ages. No wonder it hasn't sold yet.

Doh!!! Sorry, yes Cavaco, is Sydney, for some reason I thought it was Melbourne - back to my naughty corner.....

27 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Ha ha. Yeah. I’m more set up in Melbourne than Sydney. But for this assignment, I have to be Sydney based. 

7 minutes ago, blue_ixxi said:

Yeah. It’s black. Not sure why it took so long. But I can’t quite tell if it’s a reasonable asking price. 

what would you reckon a 2008 Boxster S, Manual with 30,000km should cost?

7 minutes ago, Pweesng said:

Ha ha. Yeah. I’m more set up in Melbourne than Sydney. But for this assignment, I have to be Sydney based. 

Yeah. It’s black. Not sure why it took so long. But I can’t quite tell if it’s a reasonable asking price. 

what would you reckon a 2008 Boxster S, Manual with 30,000km should cost?

$40-45k?  Much more than that and you're almost  in 981 territory, which is (in my opinion) a much sweeter car (we have one now, having moved up from an 05 987 manual S).

1 minute ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

$40-45k?  Much more than that and you're almost  in 981 territory, which is (in my opinion) a much sweeter car (we have one now, having moved up from an 05 987 manual S).

Hardly see any 981 in Carsales. The one on sale is asking for 60k for a 2010 car. Which is a tad more than I would like to spend on. Hmmmm. This seller is asking for $10 short of 50k

26 minutes ago, Pweesng said:

Hardly see any 981 in Carsales. The one on sale is asking for 60k for a 2010 car. Which is a tad more than I would like to spend on. Hmmmm. This seller is asking for $10 short of 50k

The cheapest Boxster S 981 Manual I have seen this year is $83K. The car sold in a day. Right now the cheapest listed is $90K. So no, $50K isn't 981 territory, especially for an S and a manual.

Anyway, below is the price range that I have seen for manual cars. Price within range dependent on mileage + service history + options

987.1 Boxster (2.7): $35 - $37K

987.1 Boxster S (3.2): $37 - $40K

987.1 Boxster S (3.4): $42 - $50K

987.2 Boxster (2.9): $50 - 60K

25 minutes ago, blue_ixxi said:

The cheapest Boxster S 981 Manual I have seen this year is $83K. The car sold in a day. Right now the cheapest listed is $90K. So no, $50K isn't 981 territory, especially for an S and a manual.

Anyway, below is the price range that I have seen for manual cars. Price within range dependent on mileage + service history + options

This is very good info. Thank you! 

if I get to view that car, I’ll start with 42k!

38 minutes ago, blue_ixxi said:

Must be all in the timing, we could only get 29k for our .1 manual S 2 years ago 😞  I had started at 34k.....

1 hour ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Must be all in the timing, we could only get 29k for our .1 manual S 2 years ago 😞  I had started at 34k.....

Awww. That would have been sweet. 

first it took me a long while to decide between a p car or a newish MX5.  I hope I find one soon enough before I float back to the idea of a MX5 again. Ha ha ha

10 hours ago, Pweesng said:

Awww. That would have been sweet. 

first it took me a long while to decide between a p car or a newish MX5.  I hope I find one soon enough before I float back to the idea of a MX5 again. Ha ha ha

We went from an NB MX-5 to the 987S, MX-5 is a great car, 987 is a FANTASTIC car!!

1 hour ago, Pweesng said:

Thanks you. I’ll take note of that....

More importantly to find out why the car wasn’t serviced for 6 years. 

He doesn't appear to have driven it so probably didn't see any point servicing it.

Assuming the car checks out, the only real issue with having no oil changes during that time is that the oil can become acidic and damage bearing surfaces. But on a car with such low mileage I can't imagine there's going to be much wrong with it.

I wouldn't buy it unless the seller was prepared to make the effort to get it to a shop for PPI.

1 hour ago, base said:

He doesn't appear to have driven it so probably didn't see any point servicing it.

Assuming the car checks out, the only real issue with having no oil changes during that time is that the oil can become acidic and damage bearing surfaces. But on a car with such low mileage I can't imagine there's going to be much wrong with it.

I wouldn't buy it unless the seller was prepared to make the effort to get it to a shop for PPI.

Yeah. He isn’t responding much. Probably coz I’m not inshore yet. 

hopefully he will be more responsive and I can meet him in person. As you guys always say... buy the owner

2 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

We went from an NB MX-5 to the 987S, MX-5 is a great car, 987 is a FANTASTIC car!!

Yeah. I had a NC and I absolutely love it!  But it’s been there, done that  Wanted to try something else now. 

the difference is, 50k for a Miata, that’s essentially total cost of ownership. 

50k for a 12-13 year old boxster, could be just the beginning.... ha ha ha. 

2 hours ago, blue_ixxi said:

Yeah, I get a bit offended when people compare MX-5 to Boxsters. IMHO Boxsters are one of the best driver's cars out there.

Don’t be. Ha ha ha. I’m pretty sure the boxster is a fantastic car. The number on the road is a clear sign. 

there’s certain advantage for MX5. Cheaper to maintain, easy to get parts. But kinda wanna move on to something new. Before I’m too old (and fat) to get into another Roadster. 

My better half thinks it’s a bit showy for an Asian driving a P Car. After all, we are guests in a foreign country. So she’s getting a Corolla hybrid. 

50k for a 12-13 year old boxster, could be just the beginning.... ha ha ha. 

For sure, I think it is likely just the beginning for a 30km car with terrible service history. I would not be paying a premium for such a car.

Just so you know 987.2 Boxster S  cars with either Manual or PDK with ~70-90km's were 50k just a couple of months ago and I purchased a 987.2 base car in the 30's in July with Porsche extended warranty still on it.

Yeah. I had a NC and I absolutely love it!  But it’s been there, done that  Wanted to try something else now. 

NICE! We've currently got both an NC2 and 987.2 Boxster (both manual, both with Ohlins and a bunch  of other suspension mods). Don't discount the 987.2 base model if you don't need tons of power especially if you get a tune to  take it to 987.2 Cayman power.

I previously had a 981 S and the only thing I miss about it is the superior sound, my base 987.2 with upgraded suspensions is WAY more car than can be used to even close it's potential on the road.

MVIMG_20200613_171748.thumb.jpg.8b03b4cde4b62fad13d8908ece5e3782.jpg

46 minutes ago, rego said:

For sure, I think it is likely just the beginning for a 30km car with terrible service history. I would not be paying a premium for such a car.

Just so you know 987.2 Boxster S  cars with either Manual or PDK with ~70-90km's were 50k just a couple of months ago and I purchased a 987.2 base car in the 30's in July with Porsche extended warranty still on it.

NICE! We've currently got both an NC2 and 987.2 Boxster (both manual, both with Ohlins and a bunch  of other suspension mods). Don't discount the 987.2 base model if you don't need tons of power especially if you get a tune to  take it to 987.2 Cayman power.

I previously had a 981 S and the only thing I miss about it is the superior sound, my base 987.2 with upgraded suspensions is WAY more car than can be used to even close it's potential on the road.

MVIMG_20200613_171748.thumb.jpg.8b03b4cde4b62fad13d8908ece5e3782.jpg

Nice! NC2 is a lot of improvement over the NC1 I had. I find coils a bit too hard for me. So I swap it out for the Bilstein B12 kit. But I never tried Ohlins, I heard they are the best coils available for NCs. 

If I can find a 987.2 or 981 within my budget, I would look at them too. Just trying hard not to cross the 50 k budget, and I need to set aside budget to change the head unit to one with CarPlay. The picking isn’t that great from what I can see on Carsales.