On 31/05/2021 at 10:29, TwoHeadsTas said:

Yes, a couple of months ago - $18k, too cheap, but it wasn't matching no's car although replacement engine had IMS done

I thought the price was reasonable as listed. That chassis does have a lot of miles on it. Beautiful colour and trim combo.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

First time poster and apologies if this is not the best place to ask, but figured I would try...

I'm in the market for my cliche - retirement convertible. It will almost certainly be my last car purchase. I have always been a fan of the MX5's but have only just realised the selling prices of Boxsters are quite reasonable. I understand servicing can be a little high though.

My "requirements" are quite specific. I'm looking for;

1.) 986.2 Boxster.

2.) Must be "S" model.

3.) Must be manual transmission.

4.) Only really looking for Speed Yellow or Arctic Silver or Seal Grey (prefer yellow). I don't like how conservative our cars are here in Australia - especially for a fun beast like a Boxster S. If I have to take a Arctic Silver or Seal Grey, I'm hoping for a different interior except for plain ol' boring black (again - that Aussie conservatism thing).

5.) Prefer IMS bearing replaced but will consider otherwise for the right vehicle.

I love this one - alas it's a 986.1 model;

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/slacks-creek/cars-vans-utes/2001-porsche-boxster-986-s-yellow-6-speed-manual-roadster/1269372157

I would get this one, which I see as the "definitive" and best Boxster. Only thing is I would be too scared to take it anywhere and I'm not a museum car guy;

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/porsche/boxster/s-50th-anniversary-badge/

What are my chances on securing my 5 requirements or do I need to lower them?

Thanks all and apologies for the long post...

8 minutes ago, Sabotage said:

Hi All,

First time poster and apologies if this is not the best place to ask, but figured I would try...

I'm in the market for my cliche - retirement convertible. It will almost certainly be my last car purchase. I have always been a fan of the MX5's but have only just realised the selling prices of Boxsters are quite reasonable. I understand servicing can be a little high though.

My "requirements" are quite specific. I'm looking for;

1.) 986.2 Boxster.

2.) Must be "S" model.

3.) Must be manual transmission.

4.) Only really looking for Speed Yellow or Arctic Silver or Seal Grey (prefer yellow). I don't like how conservative our cars are here in Australia - especially for a fun beast like a Boxster S. If I have to take a Arctic Silver or Seal Grey, I'm hoping for a different interior except for plain ol' boring black (again - that Aussie conservatism thing).

5.) Prefer IMS bearing replaced but will consider otherwise for the right vehicle.

I love this one - alas it's a 986.1 model;

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/slacks-creek/cars-vans-utes/2001-porsche-boxster-986-s-yellow-6-speed-manual-roadster/1269372157

I would get this one, which I see as the "definitive" and best Boxster. Only thing is I would be too scared to take it anywhere and I'm not a museum car guy;

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/porsche/boxster/s-50th-anniversary-badge/

What are my chances on securing my 5 requirements or do I need to lower them?

Thanks all and apologies for the long post...

Welcome Sabotage, enjoy the hunt and make sure you test drive as many as you can.  You may well be looking for a unicorn, but if you wait long enough you may well find it.  I think the Speed Yellow Gumtree one is a car a mate of mine @Whitey looked at a little while back.  It wasn't good by all accounts...

You might strike on a car in the "hero" colours - Arctic Silver with red upholstery, which looks great.  We had a 987 in Seal Grey with Terra Cotta interior, which, to my eye, looked fantastic, but for others was a polarising colour match.  Not sure whether there were any 986s in that colour combo though.

Best of luck looking.....

1 hour ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Welcome Sabotage, enjoy the hunt and make sure you test drive as many as you can.  You may well be looking for a unicorn, but if you wait long enough you may well find it.  I think the Speed Yellow Gumtree one is a car a mate of mine @Whitey looked at a little while back.  It wasn't good by all accounts...

You might strike on a car in the "hero" colours - Arctic Silver with red upholstery, which looks great.  We had a 987 in Seal Grey with Terra Cotta interior, which, to my eye, looked fantastic, but for others was a polarising colour match.  Not sure whether there were any 986s in that colour combo though.

Best of luck looking.....

Cheers TwoHeadsTas. See how I go with my search. Thanks for the info on the Speed Yellow one. Wouldn't mind the "hero colours" at all - at least it's a little more interesting. Beats silver, white, grey, black, dark blue with a black interior - so bloody boring and common!

56 minutes ago, Sabotage said:

Cheers TwoHeadsTas. See how I go with my search. Thanks for the info on the Speed Yellow one. Wouldn't mind the "hero colours" at all - at least it's a little more interesting. Beats silver, white, grey, black, dark blue with a black interior - so bloody boring and common!

Mate, anything but the light grey interior.  My 996 GT3 is Arctic Silver with black interior, you get used to it 🙂 

Appreciate you have stated must be an S but seriously suggest taking a base model for a run. In the twisties they can be left in second and worked from legal speeds to a bit above working the revs between 3k and 6k. Previous posts by owners who have owned both have said the 5 speed is a better ratio match to the 2.7 than the 6 speed is to the 3.2.
I can’t say as an expert but in my opinion and I am bias (owning a base model), 70% maybe more of the time you wouldn’t pick the difference 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve never considered a Boxster before, but No.1son sowed the idea over dinner last week …….  “Hey Dad, how about you & I go halves in a cheap & cheerful manual boxster ….. they sound like they’d  be a bit of fun through the hills & the earlier ones must be close to bottoming-out in terms of depreciating”

So of course a new search is saved in CS and the hunt begins ….. anyone know this car??https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2000-porsche-boxster-986-manual-my00/SSE-AD-7300874

On 07/07/2021 at 21:34, Rick V said:

I’ve never considered a Boxster before, but No.1son sowed the idea over dinner last week …….  “Hey Dad, how about you & I go halves in a cheap & cheerful manual boxster ….. they sound like they’d  be a bit of fun through the hills & the earlier ones must be close to bottoming-out in terms of depreciating”

So of course a new search is saved in CS and the hunt begins ….. anyone know this car??https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2000-porsche-boxster-986-manual-my00/SSE-AD-7300874

From what I've seen they bottomed out a while back and have been appreciating a little. COVID-TAX certainly makes it hard to judge though. Sort the known issues like IMS and they would make a fantastic weekender I reckon. I've toyed with the idea too! :D 

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, AMQ said:

Would have thought it would have had an extra $10k as a starting point????  Hood clam shell looks a little out of alignment, no idea what that could be hiding.   Worth while looking into, bearing in mind 05 cars still had potential IMS issues.  Having said that, we did 60,000+ kms over 5 years in our first Boxster - an 05 987 manual S, and we simply followed the "be alert but not alarmed" principle.  We just followed a regular servicing process with good oil and inspections of the filter at each change - otherwise we never would have enjoyed what was a fantastic car.

5 hours ago, AMQ said:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2005-porsche-boxster-987-auto-my05/SSE-AD-7307527?pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-7307527

This 987 currently on the market, $22.5k, cheap thrills, high bills ???

What do you guys think of these two black ones ??

7051CB93-78FC-4810-B553-0A965C31E8A4.png

5FBB322D-11E8-4BED-BB12-565774FA4086.png

That $22k 987 is good buying if it checks out ok. Craigieburn though 😳

• 5 months later...
On 26/07/2021 at 15:42, TwoHeadsTas said:

Would have thought it would have had an extra $10k as a starting point????  Hood clam shell looks a little out of alignment, no idea what that could be hiding.   Worth while looking into, bearing in mind 05 cars still had potential IMS issues.  Having said that, we did 60,000+ kms over 5 years in our first Boxster - an 05 987 manual S, and we simply followed the "be alert but not alarmed" principle.  We just followed a regular servicing process with good oil and inspections of the filter at each change - otherwise we never would have enjoyed what was a fantastic car.

After my first post here mid way through last year, I am now the proud owner of a Boxster 05 987 manual S too. The previous owner said that the IMS had been done, but he was unable to provide evidence, so I reckon it wasn't done. Anyway, full inspection was done and it's mechanically sound. Not really concerned about the IMS to be honest. I'll be taking your approach of being "alert but not alarmed". 

I know it's cold comfort to somebody who's engine was affected and blown up, but I honestly feel as though the whole IMS thing is a bit overblown. It has presented some real bargains though and I've taken advantage. People are panicking about a fairly low risk thing in my opinion.

Anyway, it has a pretty decent full leather interior which is quite rare and I'm thinking of getting rid of the last few bits of plastic in the interior. Can somebody direct me to where the best place in Australia is to buy OEM interior parts?

11 minutes ago, Sabotage said:

After my first post here mid way through last year, I am now the proud owner of a Boxster 05 987 manual S too. The previous owner said that the IMS had been done, but he was unable to provide evidence, so I reckon it wasn't done. Anyway, full inspection was done and it's mechanically sound. Not really concerned about the IMS to be honest. I'll be taking your approach of being "alert but not alarmed". 

I know it's cold comfort to somebody who's engine was affected and blown up, but I honestly feel as though the whole IMS thing is a bit overblown. It has presented some real bargains though and I've taken advantage. People are panicking about a fairly low risk thing in my opinion.

Anyway, it has a pretty decent full leather interior which is quite rare and I'm thinking of getting rid of the last few bits of plastic in the interior. Can somebody direct me to where the best place in Australia is to buy OEM interior parts?

I wouldn't be too concerned with IMS on a 987. It can go wrong, but it is VERY rare on those cars. Scored bores is the more common issue on those (I had a Cayman S that had them). Again be alert not alarmed. 

23 minutes ago, Sabotage said:

Good stuff, pictures please 🙂 

Our car had the full leather interior, which was rather nice, even if it was in the somewhat polarising Terra Cotta, with Seal Grey exterior, a combo we loved 🙂 

1 hour ago, MFX said:

I wouldn't be too concerned with IMS on a 987. It can go wrong, but it is VERY rare on those cars. Scored bores is the more common issue on those (I had a Cayman S that had them). Again be alert not alarmed. 

I’ve also read that the early 987 cars are less likely to score as they are only 3.2 and have thicker cylinder walls which disperse heat better than the bored out 3.4. 
That’s what I tell myself when I go to sleep at night. 

15 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Good stuff, pictures please 🙂 

Our car had the full leather interior, which was rather nice, even if it was in the somewhat polarising Terra Cotta, with Seal Grey exterior, a combo we loved 🙂 

Hmmm. You had a Seal Grey exterior with a full leather Terracotta interior..? That's exactly what mine is! Maybe I've got your old car! I'm the fourth owner. The car was originally delivered from Sydney, moved down to Tasmania - is that a clue in your name? Taken to Vic and finally to the Gold Coast.

I think I've got your old car! I'm not a fan of the dull grey exterior (much prefer Speed Yellow) but the Terracotta interior especially in full leather makes up for it. The full leather makes it feel a little more special. It stirs an emotional response from me much more than the plain ol' standard black or grey interior. I want my fun sports car to stir something in me. I have a regular, dull, boring everyday car like everyone else for daily duties. On top of the amazing performance, to me, the Terracotta adds a little bit of theatre and drama to the car - especially at night. It reminds me of some internal parts of the Sydney Opera House. Slightly bordello perhaps (again not bad to me), but not crass. Quite moody and lovely. Happy for the Terracotta to polarise and be rare. Driving a Porsche full stop is polarising and rare. It makes the car even better - In my opinion, anyway...

1 hour ago, Sabotage said:

Hmmm. You had a Seal Grey exterior with a full leather Terracotta interior..? That's exactly what mine is! Maybe I've got your old car! I'm the fourth owner. The car was originally delivered from Sydney, moved down to Tasmania - is that a clue in your name? Taken to Vic and finally to the Gold Coast.

I think I've got your old car! I'm not a fan of the dull grey exterior (much prefer Speed Yellow) but the Terracotta interior especially in full leather makes up for it. The full leather makes it feel a little more special. It stirs an emotional response from me much more than the plain ol' standard black or grey interior. I want my fun sports car to stir something in me. I have a regular, dull, boring everyday car like everyone else for daily duties. On top of the amazing performance, to me, the Terracotta adds a little bit of theatre and drama to the car - especially at night. It reminds me of some internal parts of the Sydney Opera House. Slightly bordello perhaps (again not bad to me), but not crass. Quite moody and lovely. Happy for the Terracotta to polarise and be rare. Driving a Porsche full stop is polarising and rare. It makes the car even better - In my opinion, anyway...

Sounds like it 🙂  I'll check VIN tonight and post.  Yep, Sydney car, we got from Autohaus, down to Tassie with us, then sold it to an Indian guy in IT who was living near Geelong.  He said he would do IMS, no idea whether he did, but supposedly was putting in a shortshifter and doing some further performance "enhancements".

Speed Yellow is great (had a LHD 996.1GT3 in that), but sometimes there is an advantage in being able to "fly" under the radar 😉   The car did look sensational when really well polished up, particularly with the wheels (assuming they are the same still) - I'll dig up a photo of when we picked it up 🙂 

Congrats though, it was a great car for us (my wife actually, it was her daily driver) and was our introduction to Porsche ownership.  I suspect the guy you bought it from will have done fairly well out of it 🙂

cheers  Peter

56 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Sounds like it 🙂  I'll check VIN tonight and post.  Yep, Sydney car, we got from Autohaus, down to Tassie with us, then sold it to an Indian guy in IT who was living near Geelong.  He said he would do IMS, no idea whether he did, but supposedly was putting in a shortshifter and doing some further performance.

Speed Yellow is great (had a LHD 996.1GT3 in that), but sometimes there is an advantage in being able to "fly" under the radar 😉   The car did look sensational when really well polished up, particularly with the wheels (assuming they are the same still) - I'll dig up a photo of when we picked it up 🙂 

Congrats though, it was a great car for us (my wife actually, it was her daily driver) and was out introduction to Porsche ownership.  I suspect the guy you bought it from will have done fairly well out of it 🙂

cheers  Peter

peter

Hi Peter, Yes please let me know the VIN and I'll confirm, although I already know it was yours. I bought it off an Indian bloke (he lives on the Gold Coast now) and he has indeed put a short shifter in it and added some kind of speed booster in it, which he claimed, gives it "PDK like performance". I haven't used it though, so not sure how it works exactly.

The lying bastard about the IMS, though. Like I had said, he told me that the IMS had been done, but was unable to provide evidence, so I never believed him. He said that the owner before you had it done. He even advertised it saying the IMS had been done! Pity he lied about it - makes me wonder what else he said is bull... The IMS was preferred but not a deal breaker for me - obviously. Mechanically though, she seems all sound and it was left in very good condition. According to Peter's (won't insert last name to protect your identity) last notes that he did provide me with, he had only done somewhere between 10,000 - 14,000kms on it since you sold it to him.

Any quirks things I should know about the car?

Edit - It came with 19 inch rims of some sort. What type are they?

Edited by Sabotage
Forgot to add something.

I have a 2005 987S too and I’m not particularly  worried about the IMS. If it has the smaller, replaceable type I’ll do it when it’s due for a clutch. Mine has an engine number higher than the magical 61504715 but I don’t put complete faith in that method of determining whether the IMS is the later style or not.