Acceleration: meh?

tazzieman

It's an interesting one. Upon reading the article there's a bit of a sense of defensiveness from the established brands. After all, acceleration has been the benchmark (at least from a bragging rights in the pub) perspective for a long time.

However, I think the point being made by Porsche, lamb et al is accurate. Yes, acceleration is important but fast acceleration alone does not a great performance car make. The newcomers in the market still have a hell of a lot of catching up to do in that regard. Plus, Porsche is looking at real world practicality in terms of charging times etc.

Claims of sub 2sec to 100kph in the real road car world are rubbish as normal road tyres are only good for a bit over one G of acceleration so the limit is 2.8 seconds regardless of the max marketing torque as the tyres determine the amount that can actually be used. Also electric motors loose torque as their rpm increases. Fact is it is POWER that gets the job done. Using theoretical acceleration numbers based on unlimited grip is pure marketing hype.  If they think their electric cars can accelerate then put them on the strip against the best drag cars. They will be limping home with their batteries dragging on the ground. 

I think hybrid is the only way forward, A turbo powered engine with a electric engine to help with the lacking power. We are at least 20 years away from real fast charge stations. i mean calling 40 minutes a fast charge is a joke. 

Yea 0-100 is great, but other than racing its pointless. However i do love a quick race on the freeway on ramp :P

1 hour ago, Airhead said:

Friend of mine used to do that in his Cayman. Lost his license for 6 months. :(

I suspect i’d lose mine for longer than 6 months if I got caught on my onramp of choice, he’s lucky.

So we've sort of agreed, acceleration is real world meh.

Why don't the auto industry have a standard track (or failing that , a standard autocross circuit) and use that as a gauge for performance i.e. handling?

Or is acceleration more important than handling in the real world , or at least the world of sports car driving?

No comment if you live on the Nullarbor Plain. Even if you sadly & meaninglessly own a sports car!

Archived