New record set for Aussie Muscle

1 hour ago, bear924 said:

The largish regional town where I live now has no Ford or Holden dealers.....

I suspect with the mess of models that Holden have, sales at all time lows, discounting and little apparent brand strategy, the prospect of Holden surviving to the end of this decade has to very slim.

55 minutes ago, Peter M said:

I suspect with the mess of models that Holden have, sales at all time lows, discounting and little apparent brand strategy, the prospect of Holden surviving to the end of this decade has to very slim.

Holden or Opel?

Yes, what is a Holden nowadays?

A shambles of rebadged vehicles of no shared identity or competitive advantage.  How do you market that?

GM's sale of Opel to PSA - competing manufacturers - without Holden knowing was the icing on the already festering shit sandwich.

All a bit of a sad end.

Holden is starting to circle the drain, no doubt.

The commodore won't last 2 years because once the depreciation figures come in for the new model, the fleets won't touch them.

It will go faster than the Magna did.

Ford is going to survive being a global brand and well positioned with the ranger, the focus and the fiesta, plus the mustang.  Name a good Holden ...  Can't think of a single one.

It all goes to show that the marketing and brand management people continue to have no clue or understanding of why people bought Commodores in the first place, and why they should have let the name die in peace like the falcon.

That was the original promise but what have they delivered?  I think the whole re-engineering to have these vehicles available in RHD as well as LHD has been too expensive for such small market segments already flooded with competitive other manufacturers that they have not followed through.  The fact that GM have pulled out of selling Chevs in Europe suggests its all too hard and the economics don't stack up.

I met up with a Holden employee today.

He advised that the marketing manager got the arse. A new one has been employed from VW in Germany. They have always employed these marketing managers from overseas. They would be better off employing someone from our country that understands what the public would like to see. He also said there figures are right down and believes that they will be in trouble.

He said the new Commodore is a great car. Problem i see and he agreed is that they should have dropped the name as well as the Astra. They should have re-branded their whole line up. I think they would have more success doing that.

Really if you have been a loyal Commodore buyer, you are not going to continue to buy them. When someone hears the name Astra they think of the TS and AH shit boxes, so there lies another problem.

The only car in their line up that is any good is the Colorado IMO.

5 minutes ago, OZ930 said:

Not the Kingswood !!

Pfft! I was talking new.....

There is a story that every Holden since the HD (that GM stylists were called into fix to make the HR) had the hand of GM all over it. leading it to what GM wanted!

Wow substantial thread drift happening......